animes about menhood \ male adulthood

rilestX

animes about a man having to deal with maturity or being a father or being a middle aged man, anything that deals with AN adult man trying to deal with life or even understand it

It's been a while since I watched it but Clannad: After story deals with a younger guy who needs to grow up fast to take care of his sick pregnant wife. I don't remember how quickly be becomes a father but I know their daughter is born before the end of the series. I watched Clannad, too, but can't remember if you really need to in order to enjoy the plot of this sequel/2nd season.
(It looks like you watched Angel Beats! which I think is at least the same studio if not connected in a more meaningful way)

Sakugan is a currently airing series focusing on the adventures of a late 30(?) year old guy and his daughter. The first 3 episodes really don't line up with the rest so far though. I preferred the tone of the first 3 and just based on your wording I don't think you're really into a slapstick comedy where the dad is a bumbling fool, which is what the show has devolved into.

Spike in Cowboy Bebop is only in his late 20s but already jaded. He starts off saying he hates women, children, and pets but has to learn to get along with them as a ragtag family.

The second half of Gurren Lagann will probably scratch your itch but that one I would recommend watching from the start even if it's not exactly what you're looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cells at Work! Code Black This is a bit of a long shot, but it is an anime that describes in great detail how excessive work, stress, alcohol and smoking will negatively affect you.
Megalo Box 2: Nomad - A former boxer became addicted to drugs and painkiller pills after reaching the peak of his career. This is about his journey to try to recover physically and mentally.
Hinamatsuri - If a story about becoming a father is what you are looking for, this might be the one for you.

Honestly, any show about fatherhood feels like it fits the description to me so:

https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/sweetness-and-lightning < - Sweetness and Lightning is about a widowed teacher who is left taking care of his daughter alone and trying to juggle work+childcare
https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/bunny-drop <- Usagi Drop is about a man who suddenly finds himself responsible for a young girl who he takes in as his daughter, and trying to find out how to juggle this with his worklife

Hm... how about If it's for my daughter, I'd even defeat a demon lord.

So, what I can think of this specific search, is mostly Childcare + Singleparent genres. I don't know whether you will like it or not, because I have long forsaken this theme :)

Have fun finding your like!

Hm... how about If it's for my daughter, I'd even defeat a demon lord.

So, what I can think of this specific search, is mostly Childcare + Singleparent genres. I don't know whether you will like it or not, because I have long forsaken this theme :)

Have fun finding your like!
I would like it to be more of a non parent man, more of a a man in his 20s discovering life maybe, or family and friend bonds

animes about a man having to deal with maturity or being a father or being a middle aged man, anything that deals with AN adult man trying to deal with life or even understand it
Your initial post threw me off for sure.

I'll think about your new request
I would like it to be more of a non parent man, more of a a man in his 20s discovering life maybe, or family and friend bonds
and get back with some more recommendations if I can.

I still recommend Gurren Lagann but now I also recommend Welcome to the NHK - again, read the manga years ago but I remember it being about a young 20 year old NEET (maybe he wasn't a total NEET but pretty depressed and reclusive) guy getting harassed by a chick into being a functioning member of society.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm this is an interesting request. I'll give it a crack...

Barakamon - A calligrapher who moved to the countryside hoping to sort out his life after doing something stupid.
Arakawa Under the Bridge - A privileged salary man starts living with a bunch of weirdos under a bridge.
Koi Kaze - This one deals with a very touchy taboo but IMO the series handles it well enough.

These are all I could think of right now...

Back