Daily Anime Thoughts

The "reward" mechanic genuinely makes for some funny as shit moments, tho. Massive gap moe in some cases.

I concur, the manga does have some pretty damn moe moments:
nWrDhkQ.png

zTTe03Y.png

aIVdJ3Z.png

cbiSOz9.png

10/10

Also very relatable:
CGyX6fk.png

Kind of a confession here. Complained for years about wanting to pay for licensed anime without having to wait for DVDs, so when it happened with Crunchy I happily paid the subscription (I haven't watched tv since 2009 and don't own one), but now... why the heck should I have to pay for so many monthly subscriptions?? And this is how I almost started to download stuff like I used to way back, but instead decided to give a chance to other anime I wouldn't have paid attention that is available in Crunchy.
Makes me happy how convenient and easy it is to watch licensed anime nowadays, but at the same time I dread how it has become a region-limited license war.

Kind of a confession here. Complained for years about wanting to pay for licensed anime without having to wait for DVDs, so when it happened with Crunchy I happily paid the subscription (I haven't watched tv since 2009 and don't own one), but now... why the heck should I have to pay for so many monthly subscriptions?? And this is how I almost started to download stuff like I used to way back, but instead decided to give a chance to other anime I wouldn't have paid attention that is available in Crunchy.
Makes me happy how convenient and easy it is to watch licensed anime nowadays, but at the same time I dread how it has become a region-limited license war.

I feel ya. I pay for a handful of subscriptions myself. Perhaps I should cut back since I'm on SSI and don't use certain services regularly enough but stuff like Disney + and HBOMax is neat if I want to watch movies or American cartoons.

hm.
ousama ranking is really a show that plays with tropes in a way i like
it's def a bit of.... 'this show has complexity so you just know it introduces some classically evil looking dude to have this char be complex' but it also doesn't do super basic simple stuff like 'this characters looks good/bad so they're the opposite' - rather, everyone has complexity to them.

but also we have so few classically evil looking dudes who play into 'evil tropes' who are played a bit more complicated that it's fun. like, ousama ranking is very.... classic fantasy tropes
for example, characters like bebin and daida and domas are both... exactly what it says on the tin and yet... so much more. they ARE those bad tropes, but they aren't JUST those bad tropes. bebin isnt just a shady advisor. daida isn't just a brat prince. domas isn't just a dutiful + put-upon swordsman but at the same time, they on some level ARE all those things too! and i really love that. i love shady advisor and brat princes and all those characters entail and to see them explored as having more depth is fun. there's always MORE to characters than what they first appear to be.

i didn't include hiling above, because while I think she is a subversion of the 'wicked stepmother' trope she's also not REALLY wicked... but i guess you could read her as a 'distant stepmother who actually has good reasons for her actions/facade'. i think she's a good character, I just think she's even a step further on the subversion meter almost.

DAT:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-f...e-op-was-voted-number-one-for-the-fall-season

The one they ranked as number one on this list, I can agree is a banger. The rest they listed are just kinda..............bland, uninspired and generic to me, there's much better OPs this season honestly lol
I absolutely despise #1, even though it is indeed a banger, because it got me to watch the show and it turned out to be the most child sexually exploitive anime ever. I didn't know it was by the redo guy, I feel like a smashed nut rn.

Ousama Ranking OP should be there though. And Sakugan.

Netflix be like
FEVUYAnXMAsOuWP
"Debuting in 1998, the original “Cowboy Bebop” is a seminal anime often credited with helping expand the scope and reach of Japanese animation with its memorable characters, deep themes and genre-bending storytelling. But as influential as the series may be, it is a product of its time, so certain portrayals, including Faye and Julia’s, were ripe for updates."

Why fix what isn't broken? There isn't anyone that hates Faye Valentine. I feel very betrayed with how good the PV's looked vs how the show ended up being.

They also casted Ed horribly. Good god, what were they thinking. I guess that's why they hid Ed until the show came out.

Uhh, so why did they hire a broke Sephiroth cosplayer to play Vicious?

For most of the first episode I was thinking the show wasn't as dire as some of the reactions I've seen around would suggest. Then Vicious showed up and ruined everything. His acting is terrible, his wig is clownshoes and he's going to get waaay more screen time than the Vicious of the anime.

In general, I think the Netflix show isn't without some merit. Cho is great playing a version of Spike that is reminiscent of his anime counterpart while putting his own touch on the character. Unfortunately, the actors playing Jet and Fae can't seem to find their character's voice and it makes them seem like bad cosplayers doing shitty impressions at times.

I don't hate it, but if Bebop didn't hold a special place in my pop culture nostalgia, I probably wouldn't watch any more of this.

it turned out to be the most child sexually exploitive anime ever.
that is sadly very easy to prove wrong,
They also casted Ed horribly. Good god, what were they thinking. I guess that's why they hid Ed until the show came out.
They could have paid anyone to behave that way and it would still feel wrong for a live action series. The worst ideas can hogtie even the best of actors.

Last edited:
DAT: king tier list is giving me that feeling of "do I really need to wait a full week to find out the follow up to this episode" that I haven't had in a long time, it real is a gem.
It kind of feels like it's doing the same thing we all had an idea for at one point or another, but could never really create ourselves, that ever-appealing sounding
Story that flips around every archetype in fiction, putting them in unexpected roles so that you can never expect what happens next.

"Debuting in 1998, the original “Cowboy Bebop” is a seminal anime often credited with helping expand the scope and reach of Japanese animation with its memorable characters, deep themes and genre-bending storytelling. But as influential as the series may be, it is a product of its time, so certain portrayals, including Faye and Julia’s, were ripe for updates."

Why fix what isn't broken? There isn't anyone that hates Faye Valentine. I feel very betrayed with how good the PV's looked vs how the show ended up being.

awww I just looked her up on YouTube and they didn't do what I hoped. I was just kinda hoping they would make her a funny talking computer something or just a silly girl who is more realistic and not over the top, oh well. The actress did what she could but it just feels pretty hollow.

Back