I'm here for the gay (the LGBTQ+ anime/manga discussion thread)

BL or GL?

• Total voters
YES. The girls in Eizouken felt so much like all the awkward nerdy girls I've ever known, just plonking down places and sprawling and all kinds of things. It's ridiculous how rare it is to find that, period.

Though you know where it is easier to find different kinds of women? In josei. But of course, josei manga doesn't get anime and josei manga doesn't get licensed in English, so good luck finding it sometimes. I do have a couple of titles on my shelf with adult female leads that are allowed to get ugly and fall apart and I appreciate the hell out of them.

Eizouken made me aware about the whole exaggerated girl walk cycle thing honestly, I never took deep notice of that before lol

I feel like pure comedy/gag anime have a much better representation of women too, not actually afraid to have them be crass and rude instead of some pure angel and less stereotypical girly overall.

Last edited:
The girl walk cycle bothers me so much lol. And tbh if you've ever taken any basic drawing courses there's always high emphasis on differentiating the sexes by how they walk and stand, often putting women in poses no real people would be in. It's so engrained people have to actively work against it.

I feel like pure comedy/gag anime have a much better representation of women too, not actually afraid to have them be crass and rude instead of some pure angel and less stereotypical girly overall.
On top of that, Eizouken wss really good at highlighting how personality attracts.
Kanamori unquestionably is the most popular and, judging by comments, most pined for character.

On another note not anime, two players in tomorrow's D&D oneshot I run are gonna play freshly reuinited childhood friends that are pining and I damn well have to make sure to facilitate this oh gods the pressure this is the first time i've gotten this at my table

On top of that, Eizouken wss really good at highlighting how personality attracts.
Kanamori unquestionably is the most popular and, judging by comments, most pined for character.

It does feel pretty good to see a person in a producer type role in a positive light who actually cares about other people, a capitalist I can actually get behind. I also think that this is probably the best VA role Mutsumi Tamura's ever done honestly in her entire career.

Is it really Super Super Straight though? Truly? Sure, maybe everybody got het paired up, but there's a lot of strong disaster bi energy exuding from several characters.
oh what I mean is so many of the characters read as queer, bi, genderweird, etc, but the ending is like... so strictly about m/f pairs and a sort of rigid matchmaking. I guess that's what I mean. so many of the characters read as very queer, and although they Continue to (I mean I still read them as bi), there's this like... intense focus on traditional matchmaking and lineage, and in some ways kind of casting characters into more traditional gender role sets which the characters themselves kind of don't fit into.

Yen Press just announced a license for a manga about an ace woman who agrees to an arranged marriage with a gay man to make her parents happy and I am dead curious. I can't imagine it'll be about those two falling in love, but how will it go?
Name please, as an ace myself I simply must know about this.

For some reason I felt like watching Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi and so I binged both seasons this weekend. Despite the utter disaster it is as gay fiction, I still enjoyed the look at manga editing. It's probably been five years since I first watched it, and having a desk job now, I related to the workplace drama even more. Most relatable quote "94% of your job is getting paperwork from people who don't want to give it to you." Yep, that's my life, right there.

Thinking back on Wotakoi- It would have been fun if they'd have hooked up the two guys and the two girls- we made jokes about it back then, but I could honestly see it, especially with how well the girls got on with each other. You know, that's something I don't think I've seen yet- a gay and lesbian couple both in the same story with equal focus.

Back