Gaming Discussion Thread

Lone Echo 2 is finally here! I'm loving it so far, the gameplay is pretty identical to Lone Echo which is fine for me but definitely won't win over anyone who didn't care for the first game. Atmosphere and story are great too, my only complaint is that the game probably needs a patch or two for optimization, since it seems choppy most of the time. Could be something to do with Oculus Air Link, but I'm not sure. It sucks that Facebook is going to let this game flop though. There's been virtually no marketing other than a few Twitter posts and the game isn't even advertised very well in the Oculus program itself. I'm not surprised considering their extreme emphasis on Oculus Quest standalone games, but ugh.
Finished NieR Replicant.

Fuck was Ending E good. As a game this may be inferior to Automata and more dated, but I felt so much more for the characters, even the secondary ones.

Don't get me wrong, Automata had its share of memorable, deep-cutting moments for sure. But the group dynamics are a lot of fun here and it felt like there was a lot more dialogue between all characters during the journey, be that in the middle of main story developments or just the little sidequests. Kainé is great. Emil is great. Shiro-chan is great. And the final ending was such an excellent payoff, I was actually tearing up during the final bits and it was hard to fight.

I still feel like I'm missing a lot of pieces to get the complete picture of the Taro-verse, though, even after two games - but that is part of the fun. I should probably look into Drakengard as well.

Final thing I need to do on Replicant trophy-wise is breed and collect a Lunar Tear. Felt like it'd be a cute symbolic note to end on.
Yeah, I think I prefer Replicant's story too. I was surprised at the amount of new stuff there was compared to the original version of Nier though I missed having my overpowered Phoenix Spear lunge.

Drakengard is definitely worth looking into. Make sure to play Drakengard 3 too, I remember enjoying that one quite a bit but the final boss made me ragequit and watch the ending on youtube. I'd recommend playing Drakengard 3 in an emulator though since the framerate on an actual PS3 is pretty bad.

I'm nearly done with Dread already, and it has been a real blast. There were only a few times I got mad at the game, for... well, me not being able to keep up with the difficulty progression. It's not like the jumps in difficulty were huge, but Dread really tests your ability to adapt your gameplay to new challenges. Especially in those stealth sections. I love it.

Nonetheless, all I have left to do is fill out the map, and then it's final boss time. What an amazing game. Consider me officially a metroid fan now
:balloon:

This soundtrack is so fucking amazing for Metroid Dread:

I've seen a lot of people on the internetz actually ragging about the OST being the weakest part, pfffffft...........that's crazy talk to me. They don't know SHIT.

Because announcing a bunch of non-video game spin-off material before the game is even proven successful worked out so well for Mighty No. 9, Drake and the 99 Dragons, Advent Rising and Cheetah Men.
At the very least, in System Shock's case the remake already had some pretty solid demos that I remember getting positive reception. (though I had performance issues at the time, I forget if this was before I got my current graphics card or not)

I've seen a lot of people on the internetz actually ragging about the OST being the weakest part, pfffffft...........that's crazy talk to me. They don't know SHIT.
I've seen a lot of weird complaints about the game on various places. Most of it seems to be the "IT'S SHIT CAUSE NINTENDO GRAPHICS ARE SHIT" kind of variety... no joke I even saw someone make one of those stupid side by side comparisons with this game next to... Uncharted. I'm convinced nearly all the people making those kinds of remarks haven't even played the game themselves. To be fair I haven't played it yet either! But soon...

The sound design was dope overall, not much better sells the E.M.M.I sections than those atmospheric sounds

unknown.png

One of these days ill get banned for "being too good" at the game (Insurgency) XD

Im already top 1 of my country and within the best of the world. Just not on top 5 or 10 bcs i stopped playing the game for almost 5 years... but at this rate wont be long till i get there :p

Drakengard is definitely worth looking into. Make sure to play Drakengard 3 too, I remember enjoying that one quite a bit but the final boss made me ragequit and watch the ending on youtube. I'd recommend playing Drakengard 3 in an emulator though since the framerate on an actual PS3 is pretty bad.
It's too bad the games aren't available on PS4/5, I'd buy a trilogy collection in a heartbeat even if they were low effort remasters. But then again I do plan to buy a PS3 for super cheap at some point, so I'll make sure to get them then. Emulation would be an option I suppose, but my laptop's not so good for gaming.

---
Back on Dark Souls II after many months. Since there's no in-game settings for changing the control scheme I managed to change the controls for the PS system itself via Accessibility settings, so now I don't need to fight my muscle memory at the same time as the enemies. Huzzah!

At the very least, in System Shock's case the remake already had some pretty solid demos that I remember getting positive reception. (though I had performance issues at the time, I forget if this was before I got my current graphics card or not)

To be fair, I do have at least some faith in NightDive, I just can't help but roll my eyes whenever I see this kind of "cart before the horse" thinking.

Finished Lone Echo 2, what an amazing followup to a great game. Sucks that it'll probably fall under a lot of people's radars cause of it being a VR game and not having the same amount of traction as something like let's say, Half-Life, but I hope that as more people get VR headsets and PCs that can handle high-end VR games that there will be more people who check out these games and love them as much as I did.

Looking forward to replaying them back to back once the performance issues and texture pop-in are ironed out! Ended on a fairly conclusive note too, so if this is the last Lone Echo game to come out I'm pretty satisfied. Oculus sure picked one hell of a game to go out on as far as Oculus Rift exclusives go. People seem to think that the release of Lone Echo 2 = no more PCVR games ever but I doubt that's gonna be the case. Oculus themselves are most definitely going to shift towards having games on both PC and Quest or just the Quest but people seem to forget that Half Life Alyx was made and published by Valve. Yeah I know that's just one example but I'm sure there will be more!

Bandai Namco just released a trailer revealing the first DLC batch for Super Robot Wars 30...and well...I usually despise DLC practices but I'm really glad I got the Ultimate Edition. I mean frigging Sakura Wars and Voltes V! And this is just the first batch, there's more to come. I still feel crummy for giving in like this and shelling money for the overpriced season pass but I love Sakura Wars so much.

Oh and they finally showed more Gridman. It's obvious the SRW team poured a lot of budget and care into the Gridman units since it's one of the more requested titles. The attack animations and the attention to detail are just damn good.

Last edited:
So Nintendo's new "expansion pack" for Nintendo Switch Online looks like a ripoff. 50 dollars a year, and so far all you get for that extra cost is a handful of N64 and Genesis games along with that upcoming Animal Crossing expansion pack which you can just buy seperately.

Maybe it'll be more worth it down the line if Nintendo gives the N64/Genesis stuff more games, but wow.

So Nintendo's new "expansion pack" for Nintendo Switch Online looks like a ripoff. 50 dollars a year, and so far all you get for that extra cost is a handful of N64 and Genesis games along with that upcoming Animal Crossing expansion pack which you can just buy seperately.

Maybe it'll be more worth it down the line if Nintendo gives the N64/Genesis stuff more games, but wow.

If I wanna play Paper Mario on my Switch then I have to buy a DLC I don't even want? I guess emulation it is then.

It would literally cost less to buy an old n64 and games. Like, if you had that subscription for three years, it would cost more than just buying the actual stuff on ebay

Nintendo really is criminal sometimes.

I really should be working my way through MGS 5 but I made the mistake of stumbling on xemu today. It's an original xbox emulator that actually has a large number of playable games in it. Haven't tried any games yet but I'm kinda mindblown that we can finally play original xbox games in emulation outside of the official microsoft stuff!

Takes a bit of setup to get up and running though, thankfully there's a blank hard disk image that you can download for use with the emulator (you have to find the bios files yourself) but it doesn't have the actual xbox dashboard on it. It has a "dummy dashboard" that you can use for loading games and nothing else, but I wanted to have some kind of dashboard just so I can manage save data. Of course, me being the oldschool diehard that I am, I had to get the original dashboard. Once I finally found it, I had to download an ISO meant for installing a custom dashboard (you don't have to actually install the custom dash, it just needs to be able to have FTP which this ISO did), connect to the emulator using filezilla, then delete the dummy dashboard and copy over all of the files of the original dashboard. Since the folder structure of my dashboard download was the exact same as the way the hard disk image folder structure is laid out it was a pretty basic drag and drop. Now I can relive those oldschool days I never really got to experience in full cause I only got to play on an original xbox once or twice.

Okay I give up on Phantom Pain. It's not a bad game by any means but it's not for me. At least the base building stuff is tolerable but the actual gameplay feels more like Far Cry than Metal Gear and the episodic structure of the game makes things take forever to get going, at least at the point where I'm at. And thanks to the stealth being open world far cry style stealth, combined with the fairly clunky mouse and keyboard controls nearly every encounter is an alert-filled disaster. I don't even struggle this much in Snake Eater! To be fair, MGS 3 uses a somewhat similar system but at least in that game you have the camo index actually being on-screen plus CQC is just so damn good. I know I could just go the lethal route too (and generally in most games I do a sort of mix, unless it's Dishonored where I just go full chaos every time) but thanks to the aforementioned base building you want to make sure to extract the decent soldiers laying around. I'm sure there's a trick to it all but considering the excruciatingly slow pace of the story I have little to no desire to continue. Just not for me. Probably gonna start up the later games soon-ish!

Last edited:
Metriod Dread is CRUSHING it in sales, in Japan:

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...y-outsold-nearly-every-metroid-game-in-japan/

This is good shit to see for a Metroid game.
Well, crushing it in sales, for a Metroid game. Metroid has never sold very well. But this puts dread right behind the Xenoblade series in first week sales, which got like 90k~ in their first week, so this means in short that Metroid games are doing very well right now.

Now if only Prime 4 was real.

Back