Gaming Discussion Thread

Also I've been replaying FF9 again and it's still the best one to me by sticking to more old school traditional fantasy/medieval roots which is more my thing honestly than the sci-fi elements of this franchise. Vivi, Freya and Steiner are probably my top 3 favourite characters in this. Over half-way through on this replay and also it was hilarious how I forgot how fucking BRUTAL grand dragons were early in the game which slaughtered my entire party lmao
It's hard to play favorites with a cast as good as FFIX's. I still think it was a shame that Freya has about as much of a role in the narrative from Disc 2 onwards as Amarant though.

Hironobu Sakaguchi even stated it's his favourite FF game. Trance does feel next to useless so high tide is pretty much a waste of a skill slot to me. The only nice thing I can say about it, is at least it has some narrative relevance and basically
is foreshadowing for Zidaine.
Trance in IX is just kind of a weird idea in general. As in, there's no real in universe reason for why any of Zidane's allies can use it. It's like having everyone of Terra's non esper-blooded friends in FFVI be able to use the same transformation as her. That and it makes some characters worse like Quina, who gets locked out of her best abilities for a while.

It's hard to play favorites with a cast as good as FFIX's. I still think it was a shame that Freya has about as much of a role in the narrative from Disc 2 onwards as Amarant though.
To quote Freya: “To be forgotten is worse than death.”

I actually wanted them to expand on what Steiner, Freya and Beatrix were doing when you left Alexandria. Feels like a missed opportunity and I think it would have been cool as fuck to see them all becoming friends over time but that’s just me personally.

absolute radiance is an absolute asshole. i can beat her in the hall of gods but not when it counts in the final pantheon. the climbing phase is a rng nightmare and i suck at the final phase which most people find the easiest.

Played and completed the first Crash Bandicoot (Remake) over the past few days. Man, that was a tough one. Suspension bridges (and boars) can go fuck themselves after this game.

Overall it was fun and I'm glad I finally played it, though - felt like a sticking point on my to-do list, being such a classic series. I'll probably do the rest of the trilogy later down the line, but for now I think I've had my fill of dying bandicoot screams.

Finished Yakuza 7 about ten minutes ago. I enjoyed it, but now i am completely done with the franchise and i already feel so empty!! Not a fan of this empty void in my heart if im being honest.

I also finished it on the exact 4 month date since starting Y0. Its been a turbulent ride. It feels so strange not to have another game to jump right in to.

To clarify, I was playing the games on Xbox One, so I cannot play Judgement. I refuse to play Lost Judgement without playing Judgement first so for now I will suffer!

Ill probably write a longer more cohesive post about my thoughts and feelings on all the games later since its almost 1 am, but ahh. My heart hurts.

Played and completed the first Crash Bandicoot (Remake) over the past few days. Man, that was a tough one. Suspension bridges (and boars) can go fuck themselves after this game.

Overall it was fun and I'm glad I finally played it, though - felt like a sticking point on my to-do list, being such a classic series. I'll probably do the rest of the trilogy later down the line, but for now I think I've had my fill of dying bandicoot screams.

Crash Bandicoot made me RAGE SO FUCKING HARD as a kid and was probably easily the most difficult 3D platformer I ever played. I still find it hilarious how it feels like literally anything can kill you and the numerous amount of death animations, like TNT blowing your ass up randomly is kind of gruesome lmao........

Although it basically gets easier after the first Crash game.

Playing Nioh 2 again with a strength/dexterity build which makes no sense but IDGAF, I want an odachi-using ninja. Also doing a heart/skill build on the side to finally give the katana some love. This game is just so perfect to get away from the whole parenting thing for a bit and slay some demons (with the occasional boss rage moments ofc).

Works way better than trying to re-play a story game like Judgement with that screaming bundle of joy beside you. Still in Chapter 1 making zero progress and so I basically can forget about Lost Judgement for now too.

Haven't attempted Celeste again. So far it didn't really click with me aside from the artstyle and music.

Been playing Deep Rock Galactic again. Haven't played in years and they added a bunch of stuff that really has me engaged again.

just beat a 2.5 hour speedrun of hollow knight and with that, i've gotten all achievements for the game. never thought i'd beat the PoH. i'm glad nintendo don't have achievements for their games in general cause i'm pretty ocd when it comes to being a completionist.

Got Idol Manager on Steam. I thought it'd be some Idolmaster-esque cutesy and comfy idol management game but after three hours of playing all I got was crippling debt and an all-too-real look at how shitty idol culture can be.

I'm shit at management games but I'm having fun and I love how this game takes a snarky jab at Japanese idol culture.

Yeah fuck it, I'm getting the Digital Deluxe edition for Lost Judgment. I could pretend it's because I want all the extra DLC stuff (which yeah, I kinda do) but deep down we all know I just want to start playing three days earlier.

Curse you, videogame industry, for you have corrupted me.

got 200% on cuphead. now i'm playing through undertale for the first time. it definitely apes a lot of stuff from yume nikki and the mother series, to the point where it's a bit more than a homage but i'm digging it so far. hollow knight took a lot from dark souls and i still loved both games.

Lord. I decide to replay chapter 1 of Deltrarune to refresh my memory, then decide to just breeze through chapter 2.

I started at like 10. It's 6 AM now...

I think played Final Fantasy 6 like a half dozen times. In all my runs I either beat or pushed really far in the story. I literally didn't know about the limit breaks in it until someone casually mentioned them in a youtube comment section.

Finished Yakuza 7 about ten minutes ago. I enjoyed it, but now i am completely done with the franchise and i already feel so empty!! Not a fan of this empty void in my heart if im being honest.

I also finished it on the exact 4 month date since starting Y0. Its been a turbulent ride. It feels so strange not to have another game to jump right in to.

To clarify, I was playing the games on Xbox One, so I cannot play Judgement. I refuse to play Lost Judgement without playing Judgement first so for now I will suffer!

Ill probably write a longer more cohesive post about my thoughts and feelings on all the games later since its almost 1 am, but ahh. My heart hurts.
And it's been a lot of fun watching your reactions as you played them all! I'm gonna miss it ;-;

Now we just need Sega to release Judgment for Xbox One already!

Lately I've been mostly trying to find ways to kill time before Lost Judgment gets here since I haven't really had anything new to play lately and I have to take breaks every once in a while from Guitar Hero due to the extreme pain it inflicts on my fingers. Mainly my ways of killing time lately have consisted of reading Berserk, rereading Dune (which I finished rereading the other day, might squeeze in Dune Messiah as well maybe), and randomly playing some older stuff. Since I've still been in a bit of a Dune mood lately I figured why not try playing some of the games?

First one I tried playing was Dune 2, since I had actually played tiny bits of it before many years ago after stumbling on it on an abandonware website (it was actually my first exposure to Dune in general). I figured maybe I'd do okay at it since as one of the first RTS games it'd probably be simpler than most of the ones I'm familiar with but I didn't get very far. It's not a bad game by any means and the soundtrack is amazing with MT-32 emulation turned on, but the gameplay winds up being extremely clunky since you can only move one unit at a time. I might try one of the fan-made remakes of the game at some point since they likely have some quality-of-life improvements like being able to move multiple units at once.

When that didn't work out I decided to check out the Dune game by Cryo Interactive, which I've never played before. I was kinda hesitant cause I knew it had strategy elements in it (which I always struggle with) but so far it's actually really interesting! The gameplay is actually more of a point and click adventure and strategy hybrid that also doesn't throw you into the deep end right away. The start of the game is pretty linear since you're told where you need to go and more or less what you need to do. Early on you also don't really have to focus on managing troops, you're told to focus on spice production and since the early parts are linear it's relatively easy to start to grasp how to set the Fremen up for spice mining (and later on for military training once far enough). My only real complaint so far is that the game is timed. Spice isn't unlimited, and the Emperor will obviously demand more and more spice. There's probably enough spice to last a long time in the game but I can see it being possible to render things unwinnable if I'm not careful. I'll just wing it and see how it goes.

At first I was trying to play the floppy disk version since I felt like the CD version's extras would just feel like bloat, but the copy protection quickly drove me nuts. It's the classic "where is this thing in the manual" where a picture comes up and it asks you for the page it's on. Half the time I just wound up getting it wrong even though I swore it was right. Turned out it was cause I was using the CD version's manual instead of the one for the floppy version! Not only that but the copy protection question always would come up every time I'd run the game so I figured I'd just give the CD version a try instead. Surprisingly I actually like the CD version a lot. Same soundtrack as the floppy version (which is great btw, and the CD version even has sound blaster pro support which likely sounds a little bit better than the standard sound blaster option found in the floppy version) and the extras it does have actually add to the game rather than distract from it. Has the obligatory voice acting that CD games usually had at the time (it's decent!) along with better visuals for the ornithopter travel sequences which are actually really nice and quickly grew on me. There's even clips of the 1984 David Lynch film that you can view in the in-game codex, I don't have the highest opinion of the Lynch film but the clips they use do a nice job illustrating those parts of the codex.

Now I wish DosBox had Adlib Gold emulation so I could hear the best version of the soundtrack in-game. ;-;

Well, it only took 12 chapters for Like A Dragon to finally do something interesting.
Boy, did I miss Majima...and Saejima too, I guess. Nice to see characters I give a rat's ass about instead of the clowns I've been playing as so far.

Back