Girlfriend, Girlfriend

Episode 1
This show had a really fun first episode. I was never bored, and the characters were all interesting and pretty likeable. The animation and character designs were nice to look at. Overall, pretty great first episode. Can't wait for Episode 2.

5/5 - would opt for a three-some myself if there is any takers... no? fair enough, can't blame a guy for trying..
tenor.gif
I actually want her to remain the "straight man" of the group who tries to associate their setup as strange or weird despite she will always fail! Its not i want to see her setup to be righteous and still defeated but... it's kind of similar, i want her to be the one who is normal yet i want her to keep giving into corruption... and by this i mean she is totally hooking up with purple girl.
Ah but you see! This is the type of show that in my mind can do both things! She can always be the straight man yet still be corrupted if we simply get into crazier and crazier situations! So her attitude doesn't change much but her bottom line for what is normal continually drifts away.

At least, that's what I hope will happen.

That's not terribly interesting,
It's funny actually when you think about it, most of our posts (rightfully so) will question reasoning or logic behind character actions, choices or general behaviour (for all shows in general), which is pretty ironic as we usually watch such things to get out of reality yet we compare black and white to reality. Of course their is reason behind this, even a fantasy world with magic and such has to have rules that are followed, we certainly wont question a king/queen in a fantasy world who has 5 husbands/wives if the world tells us these are the rules, but i still find it funny we fall back to reality lining into place, which lets be honest, there is few to no real instances that this guys life would happen to a normal everyday person...
But i guess i am only ranting on weird stuff here as there is literally no reply to this which works, we argue we mirror reality to make the story real and as you say, it becomes boring but if we take the element of interest too far, it becomes something entirely different or just unbelievable in a stupid sense... i will stop talking on this matter now.

The big, obvious possibility is to say NO--wherein Boy MC has to choose to be with either Red or Blue, or where Red has to decide that she's out, if he won't make a choice.
But i do all the same agree with this, in a world where we don't need a comedy/harem story to be told, she would either dump his ass so fast or at the least, she would give him a firm "me or her" - which i would rightfully agree with, i mean inserting yourself into her role, one can only imagine how emotionally upsetting that would be... considering this guy spent his life trying to get a yes from her.
But that being said, this is why i try to settle on the idea of not taking it too serious, it's just a harem with a rather interesting setup and a MC who is quite humorous in his own ways.

It's too grounded for what the rest of the first episode is about. Which is why I'm taking it more seriously than (I assume) the show needed me to.
I can understand your point here, In most other shows i probably would be the same, actually if the jokes from the MC wasn't actually funny (like that trashy show last season), I certainly would of been launching my share of comments at it. I mean, i still agree mostly that Red's concepts do feel really grounded for her to respond with anything outside a "no".

that they tried to justify why an un-ridiculous person would accept such a ridiculous situation is what's making it hard for me to accept it.
and this... this too!

she should have tried to call their bluff by saying "if you're gonna date him, then you'll have to date me too,"
The concept would certainly work, though whilst more fat-fetched, would it not equally hold ground if they made her have a interest in blue girl? Certainly, she wouldn't be romantically interested off the bat but their mini date thing the three had ending in her comment of wanting to date her could of been a fun development into her realising she enjoys spending time with blue-chan a little more than what normal friends do, thus we enter her not-a-crush-but-a-crush view of blue-chan who equally begins to go the same way... I'm certain their is potential for yuri here dammit!
especially as red-chan is great!

tenor.gif
I knew i could count on you in my time of need!
Just one more... and we all know one taker is present here...

*stares*

Wait... what happened to the ladies!?

Ah but you see! This is the type of show that in my mind can do both things! She can always be the straight man yet still be corrupted if we simply get into crazier and crazier situations! So her attitude doesn't change much but her bottom line for what is normal continually drifts away.
I'm honestly perfectly fine behind this idea! The best part is, Red-chan seems pretty well rounded for the role, not that others couldn't pull it off but she certainly seems to fit into the idea you crafted pretty well, and honestly, i would give a bonus point to whatever my final score is if it did this, even if the show turned into something bad and was a 1/5, i would still throw it a 2/5 if it made her like this (though, no bad writing please!).

The only kind of threesome I want to see here is a completely gay one, with all guys.
Can we compromise by having a full girl one too? both in-show and otherwise? Gotta haggle a little.

Happy Independence Day.
It amazes me how everything you have to comment can somehow come back to that series, it's like a super power you have had dormant in you your whole life, waiting for the day Rental Girlfriend aired to finally awaken and show it's true form... to turn every moment or topic into rental girlfriend!!

I miss KoiKimo.

in a world where we don't need a comedy/harem story to be told, she would either dump his ass so fast or at the least, she would give him a firm "me or her"
Yes--but it is a harem-y show, so they obviously need a way around that. Which is fine. If it wasn't for outlandish premises, we wouldn't have nearly as much anime to watch. (Or anime to watch.)

But once you start adding complications to the formula (like starting out with an established boyfriend/girlfriend relationship), it's easy to trip over them as you try to reach the conventions of the genre.

a MC who is quite humorous in his own ways.
Okay, I'm going to just say it: I hate Boy MC. He might be the biggest thing that's keeping me from giving this episode any leeway, honestly.

I get what he's supposed to be, that his buffoonish earnestness is pushed to such an extreme that he thinks harem anime setups are a thing that people can actually do, and I'm totally behind that function in the story.

But he falls into the same trap that Red-chan does, where the justification they try to give for why he would reach this decision falters because they try to give it buildup to seem justified. With something like this, you need to start with the crazy part. And, instead, they tried to make the joke that he undercuts his declaration to Red-chan, which means he spends the first 10 minutes seeming like an over-enthused new boyfriend, which is relatively normal. And then he goes bonkers for reasons that don't seem to sync up with that--even though they explicitly try to tie it into his established earnestness. (Because, sure, it explains why he would admit being attracted to Blue-chan, but it wouldn't explain why he thinks he should be allowed to follow those feelings into a forced, acknowledged love triangle.)

And, importantly, I don't think he's funny. So I have no reason to excuse his shenanigans.
This is the part where I tell you how much better of a protagonist Kazuya is.

tenor.gif

And that's not even to wind you up.

It amazes me how everything you have to comment can somehow come back to that series
Because it's applicable to so many things!

would it not equally hold ground if they made her have a interest in blue girl?
...doesn't she already?

But you mean if they'd leaned more into her attraction to Blue-chan as the reason she sort of agreed to it. To which I say...well, yeah. But we'd have to have them spend more time together prior to getting them all shuffled into the same house for that to be the case.

But he falls into the same trap that Red-chan does, where the justification they try to give for why he would reach this decision falters because they try to give it buildup to seem justified. With something like this, you need to start with the crazy part.
I think this is quite an interesting point in the discussion we reached, because I agree with what you noticed they did, I just disagree that it's bad.

I am pretty much always fine with faulty motivations given by a singular character to justify their actions, and I will ALWAYS prefer faulty ones to none or just a character being wacky. (Not saying that's what you called him)

His reasoning is absolutely out of this world, but he does some and that's all I need. He wants his best for his girlfriend and his love is endless, but he just has so much love that he can fall for two girls.

If a girlfriend of mine came to me and tried to pull that "so much love that I want two boyfriends" shit I would obviously end the relationship, but here in a comedy show? You go dude, have fun!

I'm not sure if I explained myself correctly, I still need my morning coffee.
How dare you.

And that's not even to wind you up.
How dare you.
Just gonna echo Nekus here and repeat, How dare you?!

Yes--but it is a harem-y show, so they obviously need a way around that. Which is fine
Well see this is the line they are all walking.
I don't mind the outlandish part, as you say, we wouldn't have half the stories we have if we rely on reasoning alone. I actually like the idea, it's a fun twist on harems where they normally just bring 3-6 girls in, MC doesn't ever get beyond making them have a crush on him and usually stays in the middle, maybe leaning to whichever girl is first introduced and considered the "main" girl, I like the concept of cutting that and this guy just dating 'em all... I just think they need to be aware how they pull it off.
Like blue-chan, she works well here as she accepts its this or nothing (for her), of course realistically she isn't like to agree but i can accept for a tv-show that she would and thus her character works pretty well.
Red i feel they should of spent a episode working her down, not just a episode of them convincing her but giving reason to her accepting, I feel the tone of her joining by saying yes felt more just to get things moving.
Of course I am fine with this in so much that we don't spend 5 episodes establishing the groundwork to find we are half way and running out of time, you know like some other show did, you know, that one where they introduced a character on the final episode and she was 100% pointless? I don't have to spell it out now, do I? (Revenge for the Kazuya comment, hehe).

Of course my points here being in a positive constructive light. I generally liked the episode and have hopes for liking the show (we will see) as it was pretty funny and certainly had elements of Aho-Girl present (MC mirrored her quite well), I actually do find the concept pretty interesting as a whole too, so my comments aren't "show = bad", just I'm cautious of what happens.
Having 3 characters who all seem pretty great thus far is certainly a good starting line.

I hate Boy MC
Fair enough, i certainly see your reasoning here and i can proceed to agree with several things you said:
which means he spends the first 10 minutes seeming like an over-enthused new boyfriend, which is relatively normal
This being the main point i can certainly agree with you on and its part of my issue with Red-chan agreeing so easily, they are a new couple and both seem pretty happy, he is clearly as you say, a bit enthusiastic which is fine, his nature is odd but passable and i enjoyed seeing him be a bit eccentric in the class, but this is where my issue kicked in, after all of that and the response to Red's joke on cheating, he literally goes and does... just that! I get they needed to overcome this hurdle but the point of it all happens in the same day...
I guess Futaro should of considered this in QQ, why take one when you can have five?

And, importantly, I don't think he's funny. So I have no reason to excuse his shenanigans.
Fair enough here as well. I personally did enjoy his comedy but i will happily admit i am unsure if it will hold up a full season or not but comedy is certainly subjective and i can see how if his comical side doesn't land, he loses pretty much all credibility.

Though this statement still makes me wanna shout "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

But you mean if they'd leaned more into her attraction to Blue-chan as the reason she sort of agreed to it. To which I say...well, yeah. But we'd have to have them spend more time together prior to getting them all shuffled into the same house for that to be the case.
This... probably summarised what i wrote above hehe. But yeah, in short this is what we needed. Even just another episode of them hanging out a bit to develop her interest in blue before putting them in the bath together... unless they want to bathe together... stop talking about baths!!!

If a girlfriend of mine came to me and tried to pull that "so much love that I want two boyfriends" shit I would obviously end the relationship, but here in a comedy show? You go dude, have fun!
This though.
I think there are few people in the world (some maybe, but few) who would happily say yes, or even say yes at all (Red wasn't really happy i guess), most would show them the door.
I am willing to overlook it as well, as you say, it is a comedy and it adds a new twist to harems too. I always overlook slightly stupid plots if they can justify it with comedy.
The dumb detective thing for example, i would overlook most stuff what happened if they didn't have some weird sci-fi stuff thrown in as it was so out of place and stupid... that show should of just been a Hyouka rip-off... i would of enjoyed that.

How dare you.
Just to repost this to remind you of what you said and i believe 10 minutes on the naughty step might be called upon...

The dumb detective thing for example, i would overlook most stuff what happened if they didn't have some weird sci-fi stuff thrown in as it was so out of place and stupid... that show should of just been a Hyouka rip-off... i would of enjoyed that.
That show would have worked way better if the mc played an actual straight man instead of a fake one. He went along with everything just randomly saying stock sentences like "oh no what is happening?" instead of rightfully calling out the BS that was happening like "wtf Androids? Are you all fucking with me? Is this a tv show? Are you aliens??"

So yeah, in short I agree with you, comedy can easily make a dumb plot work.

I'm not sure if I explained myself correctly, I still need my morning coffee.
Actually, I think you did a very good job. And I don't disagree with your take on comedic characters--particularly on absurdist comedic characters.

My issue with Boy MC--and this first episode generally--is that he starts off in a non-absurdist place, then goes absurd because...the premise of the show is absurd.

I just don't get why we wouldn't start with the absurdity. Woulda taken care of the "why is she agreeing to this?" and the "how are they allowed to live together?!" parts right away. 'Cus it woulda been, "Oh, because they're all idiots. Got it."

I mean, honestly, if next week doesn't at least start with Purple-chan looking at Red-chan like she's a moron...

I also have an issue with the shift from Boy MC to Red-chan as our central POV. Not that I don't love Red-chan, but I don't see how it's helping things to have started with Boy MC's perspective only to need to shift over to her for the gag to work. (That is, the situation isn't funny/"funny" if we aren't able to stand outside of Boy MC's mindset and laugh at him. So we need Red-chan, who is the only one of the main three with objections to what's going on, to be in some way our ride-along character.)

Given the starting point of the episode, I understand--logistically--why we didn't start from her POV, but I think, much like with the absurdity, that's where we should have started if that's where we were supposed to end up.

I always overlook slightly stupid plots if they can justify it with comedy.
I can only conclude that I don't see what the joke is. I mean, I do, of course. I understand the premise. And I definitely laughed a couple of times. But I don't think I'm on the same page as the show in terms of knowing what the gag is. That Red-chan is being cucked? That Boy MC is a jerk? That Red-chan doesn't understand that she's probably a lesbian? I dunno. I don't feel like I have my footing.

I guess Futaro should of considered this in QQ, why take one when you can have five?
Because Itsuki. Obviously.

...no, even I don't think that's an excuse.

Fun fact: Red-chan is voiced by Yotsuba.

Even just another episode of them hanging out a bit to develop her interest in blue before putting them in the bath together...
I think they managed her being attracted to Blue-chan pretty well, and I think the explanation that she was immediately charmed by her would be enough. But it's an integral part of her going along with this, regardless of whether we're re-writing the episode or rolling with what was there. And it needs to be a clear part of her decision when she makes that decision.

Like, I'm not sure how to say this better, but I think the show isn't super-clear about the difference between him "two-timing" the girls and the three of them being in a relationship together. The latter being what should be driving things, since we started with Boy MC and Red-chan actually dating.

How dare you.
43eda36857ff68bd31b619a5ed8fa62eadf4f728.gif

...what?

Seriously, though, even just between his character being consistent and also aware of (and frustrated over) his inability to not be an idiot, I think he's got it in the bag, one-on-one, given just this one episode.

you know like some other show did, you know, that one where they introduced a character on the final episode and she was 100% pointless? I don't have to spell it out now, do I? (Revenge for the Kazuya comment, hehe).
Uh, it wasn't the last episode, and her introduction sparked the final conflict between Mami and Chizuru and led the "baka" reveal that confirmed the underlying emotional plot of the season, thank you very much.

Yeah. That's right. You strike at the R-a-G king, you best not miss.
04b77de832b78ca1cb8bdcddc45da3bab7674490.gif

wtf Androids?
...wait, did she say something about androids? Was the bad guy an android? Did I miss that???

I just don't get why we wouldn't start with the absurdity. Woulda taken care of the "why is she agreeing to this?" and the "how are they allowed to live together?!" parts right away. 'Cus it woulda been, "Oh, because they're all idiots. Got it."
I can see that working as well, I wouldn't have minded in any way.

I mean, honestly, if next week doesn't at least start with Purple-chan looking at Red-chan like she's a moron...
Not THAT is something I really want to see. And maybe... it's her curiosity about HOW SakiSaki could possibly be okay with it that makes her slowly get interested in the mc... yes yes I can definitely see this working!
I think the show isn't super-clear about the difference between him "two-timing" the girls and the three of them being in a relationship together.
That is something that I think the show will eventually have to deal with, possibly with SakiSaki actually accepting her feelings and everyone truly starting a polyamorous relationship.

Unfortunately that sort of development... I don't see it happening until the very end of a story, and considering the manga is on-going, I am pretty sure we will not see it in this season.
...wait, did she say something about androids? Was the bad guy an android? Did I miss that???
Yep! She called him an android! Although I read somewhere that "Artificial human" was a better translation. But anyway... whatever the ear thing was, it's clear he wasn't normal.

Because Itsuki. Obviously.
If i get all 5, I would welcome Itsuki, she might be the bottom of them but bottom doesn't mean i would say no.
... I will be quiet now.

Fun fact: Red-chan is voiced by Yotsuba.
oh damn, really? She is getting a lot of work it seems, think she has been in a few shows each season what I have watched (good or bad) since QQ finished.

+1 bonus for red-chan there!

but I think the show isn't super-clear about the difference between him "two-timing" the girls and the three of them being in a relationship together.
This is a pretty fair point though.

Uh, it wasn't the last episode,
i don't count 15 seconds (if that) of her appearing the end of the previous episode....
I do say this without overly recalling this show but i am confident i had fun ripping on it adding a character in the final episode.

everyone truly starting a polyamorous relationship.
See this ending would raise my question to how they would pull it off. I wont debate on how this show plans to end (manga's ending i guess) as essentially it comes down to them all dating each other or they start to realise that as amazing as it sounds, it isn't realistic to have a 4 or 5 way wedding, regardless though, i am more curious how that whole arc would play out... though doesn't that literally bring us full circle to normal harems, they decide on "one" winner or go the "harem ending" route.
Interestingly, despite mostly enjoying the episode, i think no matter what, the ending to this series would probably be pretty bad, regardless if you like or hate the concept, the ending it pretty fixed into one of few options, none of which really appeal to me... though i guess good writing could prove me wrong, it wouldn't be a first to take a ending with no real good end and flip it around.

932ff42743ef859fbba3db6531cdc4ee.gif

Yeah, no, I'm out.

Red-chan makes me laugh, but nothing else does--and the thin veneer of logic underlying the absurdity isn't holding together what's left.

I'm going to spare myself (and those who are enjoying the show) the trouble.

You kids have fun.

tG93hWe.gif

You literally never think about how the things you do affect Red-chan, you worthless f***. Everything's gotta be fair to Blue-chan, but none of your instincts is about protecting Red-chan.

NONE OF THIS MAKES SENSE.

Episode 2
Whilst i enjoy the concept, it really hurts to see how much the bias is against red-chan, who initially should hold the ropes here. Even the next preview shows more love for blue, it's actually upsetting!

No really! I get it's comedy and harem but Red... it's hard not to feel bad the more it goes on, she is clearly not happy with this deal and I maybe would feel happier if i saw her get the same love, it would still be troublesome but more balanced, she is consistently second to blue, it's funny blue's internal concern is being 2nd best when she already won the guy.
What upset me further was MC has 0 concern for her publicly, her argument is pretty fair about reputation, If i was him (the benefiter of this situation) i wouldn't be to keen on rumours, he openly disregards Saki's plea to keep his trap shut and blurts it out, only stopped by some pro wrestling. Not sure why no one could just not be friends with blue-chan... why is it relationship or stranger?
Anyway, i feel pretty bad for Saki, this deal is in no way in her favour. I recall she says in ep 1 they haven't even held hands, here is this guy the second Saki sleeps hugged up to Nagisa, sad times for her. Then she straight up goes into Saki's private phone with no real sign of remorse. Saki's phone also shows she was quite dedicated to this guy... to find he wants girl 2.
Nagisa raised the question though, this can't go on forever, meaning he would eventually chose one, the other(s) will be essentially giving up portions of their life for this guy for nothing.

You literally never think about how the things you do affect Red-chan, you worthless f***. Everything's gotta be fair to Blue-chan, but none of your instincts is about protecting Red-chan.
Wait... i thought you liked Blue?
anyway regardless of favourites, it does seem inherently bias for Nagisa thus far, not sure if its because i like Red more but i just feel bad for her and watching it makes me think how much she is being screwed over by this deal. I can't help but agree here, it seems he don't care about how stuff hurts Saki if Nagisa is okay, the class scene merely reflected this perfectly. Which shot to Nagisa here but surely she should clarify she is in favour of not revealing the situation to get MC to behave, right? I know she says she is okay being alone but why not just become friends, (as said above) and then you can still be together.

Ahem, anyway i will keep watching, It's not i dislike the show, i just hate this MC... despite he actually isn't spineless like most.
I think the issue i have is either down to Saki is written in a way that she feels half realistic, not fully but we find ourselves feeling bad for her as she is dragged along for the ride, the backstory of the two doesn't help. I feel if she was just some stranger (like Nagisa was) and pretty stupid in the same (this isn't by law, bad) Nagisa is, I might not have such a issue.
For me it feels Saki is likeable and deserves to be there but the bias on blue's behalf is so painful.
Which the preview seems to show wont go away.

It seems the show is less "guy dates 3 or 4 girls" than "guy dates other girls and remains friends with his girlfriend". Maybe I'm being petty and taking it too serious (after a weak of telling people not to, i realise i am a hypocrite now) but it feels like Saki is the third wheel, and i don't just like it. I don't obviously have any attachment, its just painful to believe this story.

I will keep watching but i dunno... i already am craving the blonde-chick, which i realise it's literally a double-edged blade, Stab Saki further just to get the show to back of Nagisa.
I'm going to spare myself
If your leaving is in anyway associated with the above, i don't blame you to be fair. Which if i take your last few lines to heart, i assume it is.

#rantover.
I know i know, i am being the stick in the mud here, sorry, it's not high standards, it's just how i see things. I apologise in advance for the serious attitude and in turn, my hypocrisy from last week.

Yeah, no, I'm out.
Yeah... I felt like this was going to happen with this episode. While I still personally enjoyed it and laughed quite a lot I could feel the remaining crazy logic of the show just snapping sometime during the episode.
Whilst i enjoy the concept, it really hurts to see how much the bias is against red-chan, who initially should hold the ropes here. Even the next preview shows more love for blue, it's actually upsetting!
I feel like we can all agree on that point at least. The show bullied Red-chan too much. She's a really sweet horny girl and deserves to be protected.

And... this is where I would insert a long rant that explains why but well... @Madoka did it for me already. Perfectly, if I may add.

Despite that, I did still love all the voice acting and interactions, and the whole gag about Blue-chan hiding in the bathroom was very entertaining to me.

So huh... I hope to have more to say next week!

NONE OF THIS MAKES SENSE.
When you think of things from the lens of "Shiny New Toy Syndrome" it makes sense. You can't really have this kind of relationship without someone having to play cuck/cucquean for a bit. Compromising all the time would make their relationship no deeper on the outside than a friend group. Individual attention is important, it's not like he has two dicks.

Of course, it's never a good idea to take someone's love for granted like he does with his girlfriend, but you know, this relationship no model is unpopular for a good reason. To let your significant other have a second partner necessitates losing are least some ground. It was up to Saki to give permission for Naoya to date Nagisa, so you can't say that all this unfairness wasn't at least perpetrated by Saki herself. Most girls would put their foot down or up their boyfriends' ass if they came forward with such an idea, and I'm sure Saki would have too if she wasn't a bit gay for Nagisa herself.

I'm sure the pendulum will swing the other way eventually for Saki. Nagisa was the chaotic element that got things started so it makes sense that the first couple episodes would focus on acclimating to her presence. Whether it's her or her bf that does the swinging has yet to be determined.

Last edited:
Back