Television Discussion

I'm on the fourth episode of Big Mouth's second season and I'm having a blast so far. It took the show like four or five episodes to get past the old "ahahaha remember about popping boners at the school dance" phase, and now it's really entertaining after having gone through that seemingly perfunctory period of storytelling. It's almost like it matured, or developed. Or grew more pubes than Nick.

I even tolerate Jay and coach Steve now.
This thread has gone insane. Two people now praising that show...

I loved watching cartoons witch talks about cultures and jobs then I realized I love watching cartoons about music like silly symphony at the end I love classic cartoon

I'm on the fourth episode of Big Mouth's second season and I'm having a blast so far. It took the show like four or five episodes to get past the old "ahahaha remember about popping boners at the school dance" phase, and now it's really entertaining after having gone through that seemingly perfunctory period of storytelling. It's almost like it matured, or developed. Or grew more pubes than Nick.

I even tolerate Jay and coach Steve now.
Thank you

I haven't seen Big Mouth, but a show with crude themes can be deep and meaningful even if it occasionally has lowbrow humour.

Idk, might take awhile for me to get to Big Mouth because I have to be in the mood for that kind of humour, but I'm a big fan of Moral Orel and its themes on religious abuse and familial abuse. And it has some pretty crude episodes. And yet, I still consider it a deep and meaningful show.

I haven't seen Big Mouth, but a show with crude themes can be deep and meaningful even if it occasionally has lowbrow humour.

Idk, might take awhile for me to get to Big Mouth because I have to be in the mood for that kind of humour, but I'm a big fan of Moral Orel and its themes on religious abuse and familial abuse. And it has some pretty crude episodes. And yet, I still consider it a deep and meaningful show.
Oh, come off it. Trying to compare Big Mouth to Moral Orel is just insulting to the second show.

Oh, come off it. Trying to compare Big Mouth to Moral Orel is just insulting to the second show.
How so?

I love Moral Orel but it would be very easy to cherry pick crude scenes from it and say it had no worth and continually point to those scenes. I'd disagree if someone did it but it would be very easy.

I just don't understand how you can dismiss something you haven't seen. But even if you don't like it, you can't say it has no depth to other people who watch it or there's absolutely nothing they can take from it.

It's one thing to say 'this is worth nothing to me' it's another to say 'no one can take any value in this'

How so?

I love Moral Orel but it would be very easy to cherry pick crude scenes from it and say it had no worth and continually point to those scenes. I'd disagree if someone did it but it would be very easy.

I just don't understand how you can dismiss something you haven't seen. But even if you don't like it, you can't say it has no depth to other people who watch it or there's absolutely nothing they can take from it.

It's one thing to say 'this is worth nothing to me' it's another to say 'no one can take any value in this'
The only episodes of Moral Orel I'd call crude were "God's Chef" and "Waste". And even then, it's tame next to the gross bullshit Big Mouth does. Not to mention Moral Orel went from weird Davey And Goliath parody, to one of the best dark cartoons on TV. Big Mouth isn't even on the same level. Hell, season 3 of Moral Orel blows the entirety of this show out of the water. When Big Mouth can do a scene even remotely close to something like Clay's rant in "Sacrifice", let me know.

The only episodes of Moral Orel I'd call crude were "God's Chef" and "Waste". And even then, it's tame next to the gross bullshit Big Mouth does. Not to mention Moral Orel went from weird Davey And Goliath parody, to one of the best dark cartoons on TV. Big Mouth isn't even on the same level. Hell, season 3 of Moral Orel blows the entirety of this show out of the water. When Big Mouth can do a scene even remotely close to something like Clay's rant in "Sacrifice", let me know.
But season 3 doesn't count now, does it, RR? Only the first season and the first impression counts.

But season 3 doesn't count now, does it, RR? Only the first season and the first impression counts.
Oh, you're just not gonna let that go, are you? Yes, first impressions matter. And Moral Orel's first impression was "The Best Christmas Ever". Which funnily enough was actually the last episode of season 1, but was aired as the pilot for reasons I'm not sure of. Anyway, it was proof that there was something to this show. That this parody of an old religious cartoon had something unique going on.

Big Mouth's first episode is literally titled "Ejaculation".

Just finished the first season of Invincible. If you're looking for a new type of superhero show that rides the fine line between traditional comics heroism while still acknowledging the human cost that doesn't delve into gritty, cynical, nihilism then I would recommend this one. Plus, JK Simmons is the boss as Omni Man. 7 out of 10

Just finished the first season of Invincible. If you're looking for a new type of superhero show that rides the fine line between traditional comics heroism while still acknowledging the human cost that doesn't delve into gritty, cynical, nihilism then I would recommend this one. Plus, JK Simmons is the boss as Omni Man. 7 out of 10
I just started that one, it's already off to a damn good start.

Also I should add, as an animated western show, the animation (at least in episode 1) is the bomb. There is so much more dynamic animation, visual tricks, choreography, ect than you'd find in most western animated shows nowadays. It reminds me of the visual style of Man of Action cartoon adaptations like Later Ben 10 and Generator rex artistically, with that level of really good and fluid animation.

Episode 2 of Moral Orel is literally called 'God's Chef' and is about Orel filling a pastry bag with his sperm and impregnating the women of the town.

11 year old Orel impregnates the town's women with while they're asleep after masturbating, and that's in the second episode. And it would be VERY easy to go, hey that gross shit happens in episode 2. I mean the entire premise of that episode is 'bad first impressions'. I could do a pinpoint list of how terrible Orel is, selling his piss to the school and having them drink it, pulling the plug on a man who's dying, Orel beats up a gay kid, Orel is a racist for an episode, Orel gets addicted to crack and goes on an alcoholic drinking spree and Orel is presented as the pinnacle of a good kid 'who is doing his best under religious abuse'.

And it would be very easy to reframe content in that show to make it looks like it supports things that it frankly doesn't (example, I'd say Moral Orel was pretty progressive towards gay people for the time it came out in, but it's very easy to take scenes it has out of context)

Now...... I don't think Orel is a bad kid despite these scenes despite the fact they would quite easily and literally point to him being such. Why? Because of the bombastic dark nature of the show. It's like saying Butters is terrible in South Park. Orel is just super naive. But it is very easy to point at this content and say. How can you say there's any worth to this show? Look at the shit it does. Look at what it focuses on.

Yeah, the later seasons of Moral Orel are great. Even the first season has some good things I wouldn't discount. But you know. It is SO easy to take the summary of episode 2 of this show and discount it at every possible opportunity. And I pick on that here, because yeah you did say later seasons didn't matter.

You know, I haven't seen Big Mouth. I can't say for sure I would like it.

I just think it is very unfair to say nobody can take worth or believe a show to be deep, esp when you're judging it off the most infamous scenes. It doesn't matter what the show is. If someone told me they took something deep from it, even if I disliked it, there should be some respect other people can take something different from a show you don't like. I might not like Big Mouth! But when I read Starletka's analysis a few pages back I thought it was very uncharitable to say to all that analysis 'you're dumb for taking depth from this', which is essentially what you did. People are different. They find depth in different content. I just think it's kind of a jerk way to approach something, regardless of if you ever like it or not.

Episode 2 of Moral Orel is literally called 'God's Chef' and is about Orel filling a pastry bag with his sperm and impregnating the women of the town.

11 year old Orel impregnates the town's women with while they're asleep after masturbating, and that's in the second episode. And it would be VERY easy to go, hey that gross shit happens in episode 2. I mean the entire premise of that episode is 'bad first impressions'. I could do a pinpoint list of how terrible Orel is, selling his piss to the school and having them drink it, pulling the plug on a man who's dying, Orel beats up a gay kid, Orel is a racist for an episode, Orel gets addicted to crack and goes on an alcoholic drinking spree and Orel is presented as the pinnacle of a good kid 'who is doing his best under religious abuse'.

And it would be very easy to reframe content in that show to make it looks like it supports things that it frankly doesn't (example, I'd say Moral Orel was pretty progressive towards gay people for the time it came out in, but it's very easy to take scenes it has out of context)

Now...... I don't think Orel is a bad kid despite these scenes despite the fact they would quite easily and literally point to him being such. Why? Because of the bombastic dark nature of the show. It's like saying Butters is terrible in South Park. Orel is just super naive. But it is very easy to point at this content and say. How can you say there's any worth to this show? Look at the shit it does. Look at what it focuses on.

Yeah, the later seasons of Moral Orel are great. Even the first season has some good things I wouldn't discount. But you know. It is SO easy to take the summary of episode 2 of this show and discount it at every possible opportunity. And I pick on that here, because yeah you did say later seasons didn't matter.

You know, I haven't seen Big Mouth. I can't say for sure I would like it.

I just think it is very unfair to say nobody can take worth or believe a show to be deep, esp when you're judging it off the most infamous scenes. It doesn't matter what the show is. If someone told me they took something deep from it, even if I disliked it, there should be some respect other people can take something different from a show you don't like. I might not like Big Mouth! But when I read Starletka's analysis a few pages back I thought it was very uncharitable to say to all that analysis 'you're dumb for taking depth from this', which is essentially what you did. People are different. They find depth in different content. I just think it's kind of a jerk way to approach something, regardless of if you ever like it or not.
When those infamous scenes happen on the regular, I think it's very fair. Or should I show you the clip where you see the uncensored dick pics a 13 year old sent? Or where a hormone monster felates himself with a severed head? Or is holding a cake filled with his own jizz?

Big Mouth is vile. It has all the depth of a rain puddle. It's lowbrow shock "humor" and nothing more. Trying to compare it to a great show like Moral Orel is just wrong.

@randomredneck
Nah it's not fair to rip into someone's thoughtful analysis and tell them they're an idiot because you hate something. I think with shows that use gross out humour, you're putting yourself out there a bit to talk about their deeper themes because yeah, they do use gross out humour and gags and it's easy to dismiss them. But even shows that use gross out humour can be trying to convey something to the audience.

I don't like Rick & Morty, or South Park, or Family Guy but if someone wrote meta on how those shows presented things to them, and someone came at them and said you're an idiot for taking depth from this, I'd still think they're being a dick. Just because something doesn't work for you doesn't mean someone can't look through certain elements and still take things from it. And I'd even say R&M and South Park certainly contain satire and themes worth discussing even though I don't like them and they have a TON of gross out humour.

I agree Big Mouth does have gross out humour, I mean, don't think there's any denying that. I disagree with the fact it's 'nothing more', because obviously people take more from it on the regular. I don't think having gross out humour (even regularly) stops you from also putting social commentary or satire or commentary on society into your work. Certainly those scenes exist, but you can't say it has 'nothing more' because you haven't watched it aside from scenes that upset you. And even if you did, other people are still going to have different interpretations and takes. I don't understand why you're so angry and nasty about someone taking more from a show you just don't like.

@randomredneck
Nah it's not fair to rip into someone's thoughtful analysis and tell them they're an idiot because you hate something. I think with shows that use gross out humour, you're putting yourself out there a bit to talk about their deeper themes because yeah, they do use gross out humour and gags and it's easy to dismiss them. But even shows that use gross out humour can be trying to convey something to the audience.

I don't like Rick & Morty, or South Park, or Family Guy but if someone wrote meta on how those shows presented things to them, and someone came at them and said you're an idiot for taking depth from this, I'd still think they're being a dick. Just because something doesn't work for you doesn't mean someone can't look through certain elements and still take things from it. And I'd even say R&M and South Park certainly contain satire and themes worth discussing even though I don't like them and they have a TON of gross out humour.

I agree Big Mouth does have gross out humour, I mean, don't think there's any denying that. I disagree with the fact it's 'nothing more', because obviously people take more from it on the regular. I don't think having gross out humour (even regularly) stops you from also putting social commentary or satire or commentary on society into your work. Certainly those scenes exist, but you can't say it has 'nothing more' because you haven't watched it aside from scenes that upset you. And even if you did, other people are still going to have different interpretations and takes. I don't understand why you're so angry and nasty about someone taking more from a show you just don't like.
First off, I'm not calling anyone stupid or an idiot. So stop putting words in my mouth.

Secondly, Big Mouth does not have gross out humor. It is gross out humor. If this show really is as nuanced as people are claiming, it wouldn't have the need to rely on these disgusting and quite frankly abhorrent (Again, dick pics of underaged characters) jokes. Trying to claim a show this repulsive has anything else to offer is undone by the things I just listed. If a show has the occasional gross out gag, fine. But that's all this show is. Like I said, it sits down there with stuff like Brickleberry. Only people never tried claiming Brickleberry was a secretly deep show.

People wanna like the show, fine. I can't stop them. But I can call them on trying to excuse what this show does.

I mean you kind of do call them stupid by taking their analysis and going 'are you high' and doing a whole 'what is wrong with you' routine.

First off, I'm not calling anyone stupid or an idiot. So stop putting words in my mouth.

Secondly, Big Mouth does not have gross out humor. It is gross out humor. If this show really is as nuanced as people are claiming, it wouldn't have the need to rely on these disgusting and quite frankly abhorrent (Again, dick pics of underaged characters) jokes. Trying to claim a show this repulsive has anything else to offer is undone by the things I just listed. If a show has the occasional gross out gag, fine. But that's all this show is. Like I said, it sits down there with stuff like Brickleberry. Only people never tried claiming Brickleberry was a secretly deep show.

People wanna like the show, fine. I can't stop them. But I can call them on trying to excuse what this show does.

See, there's the thing though.

I could easily say 'if Moral Orel was as deep as people tried to claim it wouldn't need to rely on these disgusting and frankly abhorrent jokes (again, orel raping a town of women in their sleep with a pastry bag filled with his cum)'. How can you claim a show is this repulsive, this abhorrent, and is nonstop grossout gags when you've never watched it?

I honestly don't comprehend how Big Mouth is any different from something like South Park, which has constant gross out humour, and yet we could assume people can say worthy things about.

I mean, you also really don't have to call them out or be a dick to someone for finding depth in a thing you don't like. I don't understand that. You clearly don't like the show. But there's no reason to drag people for finding something in it.

You also keep claiming Starletka was saying Big Mouth was misunderstood, which she didn't, she just said what she liked about it and that she was suprised by its content. But then you dragged her for finding something she liked about it and mocked the thought she could be taking it seriously.

See, there's the thing though.

I could easily say 'if Moral Orel was as deep as people tried to claim it wouldn't need to rely on these disgusting and frankly abhorrent jokes (again, orel raping a town of women in their sleep with a pastry bag filled with his cum)'. How can you claim a show is this repulsive, this abhorrent, and is nonstop grossout gags when you've never watched it?
I've never watched Boku No Pico either. And I still know it's gross anyway.

I honestly don't comprehend how Big Mouth is any different from something like South Park, which has constant gross out humour, and yet we could assume people can say worthy things about.
Except I've never seen people try to claim South Park was deep or nuanced.

I've never watched Boku No Pico either. And I still know it's gross anyway.

Except I've never seen people try to claim South Park was deep or nuanced.
People definitely do try to discuss South Park's themes on satire, so, uh, dunno where you are but people do yes.
Don't think 'I have nothing deep to say about this show but telling people that this show I haven't watched sucks' is super great no matter what you say, but realizing nothing I say matters here
Personally though, if someone talked about the themes they saw in Boku no Pico in a general discussion and I hadn't seen it I'd just ignore them because telling them it sucks still isn't useful or helpful or meaningful or interesting or anything aside from assholery.

But I'm realizing I'm contributing to a circular discussion here. not to be all last word here, but I guess I won't respond going forth. I think you're being a jerk and you see nothing wrong with being a jerk.

People definitely do try to discuss South Park's themes on satire, so, uh, dunno where you are but people do yes.
Don't think 'I have nothing deep to say about this show but telling people that this show I haven't watched sucks' is super great no matter what you say, but realizing nothing I say matters here
Personally though, if someone talked about the themes they saw in Boku no Pico in a general discussion and I hadn't seen it I'd just ignore them because telling them it sucks still isn't useful or helpful or meaningful or interesting or anything aside from assholery.

But I'm realizing I'm contributing to a circular discussion here. not to be all last word here, but I guess I won't respond going forth. I think you're being a jerk and you see nothing wrong with being a jerk.
How about you back off? I was insulting a crappy TV show. You're the one who's getting personal now.

Back