Book Discussion

I finished the first volume of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and felt underwhelmed.
This is my first comic by Alan Moore, so I expected something interesting. It was interesting, but the story felt flat.
Was Moore writing fanfiction?
Is Watchmen better?

Just finished the last Trials of Apollo book by Rick Riordan.
I'm rather disappointed with the ending. It was nice to see the different characters from the other series and their endings, but I wanted to see more of Apollo. Over the series, Apollo had character development from being changed from a god to a human. He learned the hardships of living as a demigod, protecting your friends/family, and losing your friends/family. I wanted to see some ways that he would try to chagne as a god and whether he would lose what he learned as a demigod. I feel disappointed in how the book did not really deliver on this.

A couple weeks ago I read Garen: First Shield. The first full length book set in the League Of Legends universe. Was pretty good. I like seeing Garen, he of the giant shoulder armor, fleshed out like that. And more Cithria is always a good thing.

Idk who needs to hear this but I just finished reading this book that has a similar concept like Orwell's 1984. It's called "The Memory Police" by Yoko Ogawa and I actually found it pretty eerie. If you like "dystopias" , this is definitely worth checking out.

Please recommend a book that will be able to change my worldview
This guy will probably never show his face here again, but I've been thinking about this. If I were to choose just one book, one book in the history of books to challenge someone's worldview...

Animal Farm
Short, simple, easy to read, powerful, not to mention very current to what's been happening lately. Should be read by everyone.

This guy will probably never show his face here again, but I've been thinking about this. If I were to choose just one book, one book in the history of books to challenge someone's worldview...

Animal Farm
Short, simple, easy to read, powerful, not to mention very current to what's been happening lately. Should be read by everyone.
I was actually going to respond to his post with asking what his world view IS first before anyone can make a recommendation that will change it.

Animal farm is however a must read in my opinion.

Let the Right One In is a great book, probably one of my favourites ever

So here's a question: why can't people leave it the fuck alone if they're not going to adapt it into the actual series?

'Per Showtime, the official synopsis reads:

The series centers on a father and his 12-year-old daughter whose lives were changed forever 10 years earlier when she was turned into a vampire. Locked in at age 12, perhaps forever, Eleanor lives a closed-in life, able to go out only at night, while Mark does his best to provide her with the minimal amount of human blood she needs to stay alive.'

Why even call this shit 'Let the Right One In'? The only similarity is it has a vampire ffs

Let the Right One In is a great book, probably one of my favourites ever

So here's a question: why can't people leave it the fuck alone if they're not going to adapt it into the actual series?

'Per Showtime, the official synopsis reads:

The series centers on a father and his 12-year-old daughter whose lives were changed forever 10 years earlier when she was turned into a vampire. Locked in at age 12, perhaps forever, Eleanor lives a closed-in life, able to go out only at night, while Mark does his best to provide her with the minimal amount of human blood she needs to stay alive.'

Why even call this shit 'Let the Right One In'? The only similarity is it has a vampire ffs

Ok, that does sound like shit but also like it's just half of the synopsis. Where's Oskar?

Ok, that does sound like shit but also like it's just half of the synopsis. Where's Oskar?
Apparently Oskar is a neighbour kid named Isaiah, and his mom is a homicide detective.

I don't really understand the tendency to rename the characters. I guess it at least helps establish their different canons, but I don't feel like Oskar and Eli are unusual names at all.

You know though I wouldn't mind if this had a different title and said it was 'loosely inspired by Let the Right One In', it just feels from the synopsis this shaved off a lot of what drew me into the original to make it kind of more generic television.

Mostly though, I'm just disappointed to hear another adaptation isn't going to cover the story and what actually happens in it.

Back