NEW: Supporters can now browse Anime-Planet ad-free!

Hells yeah! What about for those of us who have donated using the site button in the past before the patreon though?

Currently the site rewards are based on the Patreon API and is an automated process, we don't currently have a way to set it up with Paypal. One of the benefits Patreon gives us (in exchange for a percentage of the donations) is dealing with the payment process, chargebacks, that sort of thing.

Currently the site rewards are based on the Patreon API and is an automated process, we don't currently have a way to set it up with Paypal. One of the benefits Patreon gives us (in exchange for a percentage of the donations) is dealing with the payment process, chargebacks, that sort of thing.
Might just start giving to the patreon then. I haven't donated in a while after all.

Guess this means custom titles to replace well-known member aren't coming anytime soon though eh? Still a cool update though.

If we're donating by Paypal right now (I have a reoccurring set up) is it preferred we shift to Patreon?

Might just start giving to the patreon then. I haven't donated in a while after all.

Guess this means custom titles to replace well-known member aren't coming anytime soon though eh? Still a cool update though.

No custom titles per se yet, though any tier higher than Tip Jar has the custom banner that appears. We're steadily working on the (very big, on the coding-side at least) update to the newer forum software which will likely have different functionality we can access or tweak, so at that point it's something we can look into; seems like a decent supporter benefit we could add on.

The one difference between Paypal and Patreon is that Paypal supports both one-time and recurring donations, and Patreon is recurring only. You could of course join a tier and then cancel the subscription after a set period, though the site rewards would go away at that point as well. It's closer to being a Nitro Booster than a one-time donation like many use Paypal for. Technically Patreon allows for custom subscription amounts as well (outside of the tier amounts) though I'm not sure how it works for the tiers. For example if someone chose to donate $11/mo, I'm not sure if Patreon would automatically give the Silver benefits ($10/mo) as an option.

If we're donating by Paypal right now (I have a reoccurring set up) is it preferred we shift to Patreon?

Well, we very much appreciate both :) both services take out a fee percentage, but as a user I'd say Patreon is much better at this point, because of the site benefits! If you had at least a $5 recurring subscription on Paypal you'd be getting ad-free here and the avatar outline/banner at minimum. It's possible that someday we may be able to hook up the Paypal API to offer similar benefits, but Patreon was made for this sort of thing (and allows for us [well, me!] to communicate with folks via posts to get feedback/show pre-release features, that sort of thing)

No custom titles per se yet, though any tier higher than Tip Jar has the custom banner that appears. We're steadily working on the (very big, on the coding-side at least) update to the newer forum software which will likely have different functionality we can access or tweak, so at that point it's something we can look into; seems like a decent supporter benefit we could add on.
SpanishCanineIberianmole-size_restricted.gif

i have never used ad-block software but still never seen a single ad. you guys should check your code for issues

Wow!! this is really amazing!! I really want to have this frame omfg but plz I am too broke ahshagjd </3

i have never used ad-block software but still never seen a single ad. you guys should check your code for issues

That means you're blocking the ads ;) either accidentally through a plugin or otherwise. But indeed, as Grizz said, we also have very few ads on the site. This was done on purpose, by me, because I wanted to prioritze everyone's experience over the ad revenue. But that also means we're in trouble because ad revenue is less and less nowadays, *and* we have so few ads, so the Patreon is our way of trying to bridge that gap (as traffic continues to increase and our bills are huge given AP's size. Plus, we aren't run by a corporation, it's still just me, also a volunteer/unpaid).

This is excellent, because chargebacks are the worst, and not exactly something you think of when you're just taking donations to keep your web site running.

I like the fancy schmancy new borders. As for the ads, I've always white listed AP, and the ads were so innocuous I never really noticed them. To make any money with ad revenue these days you need to have a dozen intrusive ads destroying the user experience of your site before you can cover your hosting fees. Patreon should be a much more helpful alternative.

If I could make one recommendation, A Patreon logo next to the "[Tier] Supporter" title that serves as a new tab link to the AP Patreon page might garner a few clicks from members who didn't read this announcement. Or even if the supporter title just linked to this thread.

Back