New: Support Anime-Planet on Patreon, and dark mode now available for all users!

Founded in 2001, Anime-Planet is a site created by fans, for fans. Though millions of users a month use the site, we're staffed by a small team of volunteers including the founder, developers, and content moderators.

Until now, we've relied on a very small amount of ads on the website to cover Anime-Planet's hefty ongoing costs, given the community's size and growth. But with most folks using ad block programs nowadays and ad revenue performing poorly across the web, we now need to look elsewhere to be able to continue to keep the lights on. Thus, today, we're excited to launch a Patreon page!

If you choose to become a patron, you're helping us improve our infrastructure due to Anime-Planet's rising traffic needs, work on future features and projects, and offset our increasing server costs. Patreon's platform also enables us to finally take a look at widely requested features such as the ability to donate to browse ad-free on Anime-Planet, and flair such as avatar outlines and other rewards. We hope to launch these sorts of rewards in the near future, and will keep you posted.

Though site-based rewards are coming soon, our launch updates include a number of Discord and Patreon specific perks, such as:

• Discord perks: choice of colors, pre-release bots and features, exclusive channels & commands, and more
  • Exclusive sneak peeks and updates for upcoming website features
  • Trending charts, community stats, and other feature posts

Dark mode available to all users

In addition to our Patreon launch, we've also opened up Dark Mode to all users. Previously, Dark Mode was only available to logged in users. Now, all users (logged in or not) can switch modes in the footer on the page. Dark Mode was one of the most requested features on Anime-Planet, and we aim to work on more features like this through our Patreon project.

ekuRKYl.png

efsRNvZ.png

(note: we plan to adjust the size of the text in the footer soon as we know it's rather large :) )

Thank you, as always, for your support of Anime-Planet <3

I will definitely support Anime-Planet on Patreon! I really love this site!
I think you might also consider fundraising campaigns several times a year. They work since they get people excited about reaching a goal.

what is role is reference to discord?

We offer 3 roles to Patrons on Discord depending on which tier you sign up to.

Tip Jar - Supporter role
Silver - Silver Supporter role
Gold - Gold Supporter role

You can see a list of the benefits for each role by joining our Discord server and checking out the #news channel:

https://discord.gg/XybDbD9

So... does this mean there might be a goal where once you get enough support, you remove the clickbait news articles or something?

So... does this mean there might be a goal where once you get enough support, you remove the clickbait news articles or something?

Eh? We don't post news articles on Anime-Planet. Can you give more context?

Eh? We don't post news articles on Anime-Planet. Can you give more context?
Um. Idk what you call it then? Whenever I'm on any overview page of a manga or something, there's a box to the right that says something random like "Chloe Zhao becomes first woman to win golden globe for best director (featured by vi)" maybe tabloid articles instead of news?

Sorry, this probably isn't the place to say anything about this, I'm just not interested in those myself and I know ad revenue is a thing, I wasn't like. Trying to complain. I just think they're weird, lol.

Ads can be annoying, but more annoying and sad would be the site going down, ill disable adblock

Um. Idk what you call it then? Whenever I'm on any overview page of a manga or something, there's a box to the right that says something random like "Chloe Zhao becomes first woman to win golden globe for best director (featured by vi)" maybe tabloid articles instead of news?

Sorry, this probably isn't the place to say anything about this, I'm just not interested in those myself and I know ad revenue is a thing, I wasn't like. Trying to complain. I just think they're weird, lol.

Gotcha - these are indeed some of the few ad units we have (we don't control the content in the ads). As long as it ends up being feasible from a coding perspective, we aim to launch a Patreon tier that will include ad-free browsing (will not show any ads)

Gotcha - these are indeed some of the few ad units we have (we don't control the content in the ads). As long as it ends up being feasible from a coding perspective, we aim to launch a Patreon tier that will include ad-free browsing (will not show any ads)
Gotcha, sounds cool :) I know little about coding besides that adding new things sometimes messes up the rest so best of luck with that and thanks for responding :)

I'm glad you got the patreon up, it's nice to be able to give back to A-P after all the years of being our fantastic database :)

You should have a presence on other platforms than just Patreon, such as SubscribeStar, for us that don't like or want to give Patreon money.

You should have a presence on other platforms than just Patreon, such as SubscribeStar, for us that don't like or want to give Patreon money.
Direct paypal donations are still possible here. Maintaining multiple platforms is not very fesiable for the small staff team currently and eats into the time that would be better spent actually doing things on site.

Direct paypal donations are still possible here. Maintaining multiple platforms is not very fesiable for the small staff team currently and eats into the time that would be better spent actually doing things on site.

This may be true but I have to agree with Reavinger in this instance. Patreon has done some sketchy stuff fairly recently and as a matter of principle AND to avoid any potential headaches down the road, I would prefer not to give them my money...I guess I will have to make a donation using PayPal in lieu of subscribing (but that kinda sucks) unless subscribing via PayPal is an option? (Tbh, lately PayPal has kind of been a dick, too, to quite a few YouTube content creators who used to sell merchandise to promote their channels...but there are fewer and fewer options open to us every day it seems.)

Back