Anime Clichés You Hate!

Everybody fighting in a big flat featureless brown field. Nobody likes looking at a bit flat featureless brown field, so have fight scenes in them? The location matters to making it entertaining. Quit being lazy, man.

Ever notice how many anime has a protagobist with an "office job", but you never actually know what it's about?
I only now really realized this. I was shocked when I read a manga and the office job's purpose and what industry it belongs to actually was shown.

Think back to all "office" anime you can think of. How many actually make it clear what they do there?

Ever notice how many anime has a protagobist with an "office job", but you never actually know what it's about?
I only now really realized this. I was shocked when I read a manga and the office job's purpose and what industry it belongs to actually was shown.

Think back to all "office" anime you can think of. How many actually make it clear what they do there?
That's not just an anime/manga thing

That's not just an anime/manga thing
Fww things listed in this thread are.
But anime and manga get really intense about the office setting and its story implications. It's often a big part of characterization, often with subjects about overwork and toxic workplace culture, etc. And you almost always get a "crunch" episode or two.

"Never" is the operative word.
It's weird when that happens. It's like... what's the point?
The most exemplary character I can think of off the top of my head is that one girl from BNHA that can pretty much create anything out of thin air, but who ... isn't (???) the strongest hero of them all, because in the 2 seasons I watched she literally never did anything with those powers. Give me a break. She could have pulled out a gun from her skin and killed them all in 0.5 seconds, if she wanted to.

The most exemplary character I can think of off the top of my head is that one girl from BNHA that can pretty much create anything out of thin air, but who ... isn't (???) the strongest hero of them all, because in the 2 seasons I watched she literally never did anything with those powers. Give me a break. She could have pulled out a gun from her skin and killed them all in 0.5 seconds, if she wanted to.
Well the complexity, quantity and type of material is a hard limit on her powers, as well that she also has to actually have a book-learned understanding of those aforementioned factors for anything she creates. She doesn't just genie-wish it into existence anything she can abstractly think of. She has to literally understand what she creates at a molecular level, and then also how various moving parts are formed and combined.
So in a setting like that it makes her supreme at utility but hardly a power house in normal destructive ability.
The one time she's made a gun it was a pretty primitive classic type cannon, but an actual loaded handgun would be very complex with all its parts and the bullets.
Then there's also just the issue of how much gun range training a Japanese 16 year old girl has.
And there's how many characters have abilities to shield or tank bullets, or movement abilities that makes it difficult for a 16 year old to accurately make a target of.
We've also literally seen guns deployed in the series by someone in that age range, and the only reason he did not get instantly clowned was because he used it in conjunction with a quirk. And he still got wrecked. It's not that reliable as a weapon, which is probably why "support items" are more common in the setting.

So in a setting like MHA she's certainly a must-pick for a hero team roster, but hardly "the strongest character in the series."

She doesn't do anything with it in the other two seasons either, if it makes you feel better

The "romantic" surprise kiss. I was watching Real Girl and boy, was that problem ever-present. It already happened twice when I'm only a couple of episodes in and both times the main girl in those shots is drawn as this stunning maiden bestowing a gift:
AAAABfJtvMflVuKPYbnt7xRRG-sxxf6iovdc940lzkpdqL4GQBOSmO5VSSmoMK22_pnUlNEI_px7ZlVtdv-ow9YjZE8weO4v.jpg

Which is terrible for obvious reasons. You need to ask someone before you kiss them. I don't like shows that glorify stuff like this. It's not actually cute or romantic, therefore, anime shouldn't show it as though it is. And believe it or not, this wasn't even the worst example. Itnakiss also did this cliche' just with the genders reversed, however, it wasn't a sign of gratitude like the above example(which I should clarify also isn't okay), but more so a way to keep the girl under his thumb(ZgEwagTCxWg).

Slaynoir said this, i agree.
when they make you think the MC died for real. But nope! He comes back OP and kicks everyone stupid. Or is just 'nuts out of his head' like some people...

it doesnt have to be just the MC, generally i dont like it when a character 'dies', but then gets 'revived' later.

-the food episode
-the beach episode
-the onsen episode

all these episodes are the same. they might actually be the same episode recycled across multiple studios and shows

-any isekai
-ditzy girl with massive rack
-errant wind turns local skirt into parachute
-disjointed pseudo-philosophical rambling that somehow convinces everyone listening that the main character is trustworthy
-pretty much anything VRMMORPG
-quirky little cutiepie repeatedly commits assault, nobody cares
-insurmountable challenges and terrible hardships bested in 20 minutes so everyone can return to the status quo in time for the next episode
-main girl and main boy end up together solely by the power of contrived plot
-the hero is an arrogant asshole with no redeeming qualities
-"sir she's actually a 800 year old goddess and clearly above the age of consent"
-fights that drag on forever while offering nothing besides spectacle
-it's not the 50 magic missiles you took on the chin that'll do you in, it's the dramatic single punch
-having no real sense of scale in regards to magic, technology, etc. easily undermines the universe
-sis-con/bro-con
-great ideas squandered in an effort to appeal to a wider audience by "playing it safe"
and lots more

most of these are probably very last season and/or decade but i live under a rock ánd don't care

shoutouts to rory mercury and the onsen staff for giving me an excuse to drop GATE

Back