What are your favourite old animes ?

G

I mean old animes that were in 90s and 2000: 2010 decade , the animes in these periods were really decent to me , I don't know why but I feel more comfortable with the old stuff my favorites are : Cardcaptor Sakura, Slam dunk , Cowboy bebop , Monster , planetes , Trigun and Aria series , I also love the old arcs of one piece , Dragon Ball and Hunter x Hunter 1999 (old version) ,,

so what about your favourite old shows ? I hope I can collect some hidden gems from this thread .

I went through my list and the only 4 rating I gave to an old show is Neon Genesis Evangelion. I gave GTO (Great teacher Onizuka) a 3.5 which has good story telling but I hate the animation. My only other 3.5 is Revolutionary Girl Utena, which the story is good the animation is OK but they repeat the same animation as filler to much. Story telling and the animation have improved so greatly that I find I don't like revisiting the really old animations.

You've got to watch Lupin the 3rd. I'm pretty sure there's a law somewhere about it.

I've tried watching Case closed, and the early episodes are entertaining, but that show's been running for so long that it's a bit daunting to try to tackle.

Gintama started up in the late 2000s, so it's not super old, but it's one of my all time favorite shows.

Then there's Fist of the North Star, which is a classic referenced in so many other anime and games, it's worth it just to get the jokes. Plus Kenshiro is the most badass OP character of all time.

Lastly but not leastly, Serial Experiments Lain is a must watch, especially if you've got any interest in psychological or surreal shows.

You've got to watch Lupin the 3rd. I'm pretty sure there's a law somewhere about it.

I've tried watching Case closed, and the early episodes are entertaining, but that show's been running for so long that it's a bit daunting to try to tackle.

Gintama started up in the late 2000s, so it's not super old, but it's one of my all time favorite shows.

Then there's Fist of the North Star, which is a classic referenced in so many other anime and games, it's worth it just to get the jokes. Plus Kenshiro is the most badass OP character of all time.

Lastly but not leastly, Serial Experiments Lain is a must watch, especially if you've got any interest in psychological or surreal shows.
I've heard someone said that lupin 5th season is enough to get to the anime theme with its characters but I didn't give it a try until now although I was about to begin it from its first season .. actually I like detectives animes

I agree case closed is very hard to be along with , I just picked some good arcs when I begin watching it and surely any episodes related to secret organisation I remember that I was at 500+ but really movies were something so great especially 3rd , 6th and 11th movie ..
But really it's hard to remember the whole of the details unlike the ongoing animes like one piece , as it's not attached and some important characters takes along time to reappear again and then my brain get confused " wait who was this man xD ?? " Or something like that :o

may be I'm too lazy to finish all of it now or it becomes too late for me I don't know xD

I've heard about lain but there are alot of fan complaining about its story that's very difficult to understand what's going on ... Is that true ?

90's anime pretty much shaped my childhood.

Ranma 1/2, Zenki, Yu Yu Hakusho (along with Slam Dunk this is pretty much a must for 90's Filipino kids), B'tX, Hell Teacher Nube, Vision of Escaflowne, Magic Knight Rayearth and El Hazard. There's a ton more but these shows are really special to me.
Sounds interesting animes really .
Also there alot of animes attached to Egyptian kids including Slam dunk like gundam series , , Ginga Sengoku Gun Yuuden Rai , Aoki Densetsu Shoot aaand surly Captain Tsubasa these animes really were the main reason for alot of translators here to begin spreading animes in my country .. Still the old animes have a lot of its fans that still appreciate them but actually they're few comparing to any other anime fans nowadays.

Some good old animes from the 1990's are Record Of Lodoss War and The Vision Of Escaflowne. Record Of Lodoss War is like a game of Dungeons And Dragons as an anime and it is cool. The Vision Of Escaflowne is an isekai where a girl goes into a fantasy world. There are mechs, romance, action, science fiction, and drama which make the show pretty good.

(Cardcaptor Sakura - the first you mentioned - is one of my favourite anime of all time xD)

I think there are a lot of good old series.. even in the '70-'80 (and '90, as well), with very good visuals, animations, story and character design, often better than nowadays shows.

Anne of Green Gables is older than I am and it's pretty good. The show is a lot slower, but the main character Anne can really make the show into something enjoyable.

Princess Tutu is also something I consider to be a masterpiece. If you feel like something more plot-based, this is probably more of your speed.

It's very nice to see that someone as young as you can enjoy not-so-recent series. I mean Anne of Green Gables, of course.. 'cause Princess Tutu (I agree with you.. it's a masterpiece indeed) .. it may be not so new, but neither so old, yet xD

- Nobody's Boy Remi is a favourite of mine, and that's from the 70s hah
Beautiful animation for its time period and great storytelling.

- Grave of the Fireflies (80s)https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/grave-of-the-fireflies
The film that first got me into anime. Tragic war time tale, few things get into the guts of the tragedy of war as well and its a moving drama

- Legend of the Galactic Heroes (80s)
Can't really go without mention, because there's no space opera as politically intelligent or which creates a history for its world this vast in anime besides

- Vifam (80s)
You know what? It might just be me but I don't care I thought Vifam was a great journey about kids together in space trying to survive the war and enemy forces. It's not dark or dramatic, rather it has dark subjects but you always know its core cast is safe. It's not really about survivalism, it's more about the journey. I love Vifam

- Neon Genesis Evangelion (90s)
My favourite mech series. Very few series fulfill me in terms of sheer psychological nuance in their character

- Revolutionary Girl Utena (90s)
An absolute classic. Efficient symbolism, complex characters, beautiful animation.

- Oniisama E (90s)
- Served as inspiration for the more well known Revolutionary Girl Utena, and is a classic in its own right with serious drama and complex female characters

- Hunter x Hunter 99 is indeed good, especially the OVAs which have a vastly superior version of the Yorknew arc

- Crest of the Stars (90s)
Smart sci-fi. That wacky dynamic where a boy and girl are stuck together but like 90% less dumb about it than most shows

- Romeo's Blue Skies (90s)
If you want a family friendly adventure about kids that deals with abuse, chimney sweeps, disease and slavery for the whole family this is the show for everyone.

- Sexy Commando (90s)
I mostly rec drama, but want wacky comedy? Here's a comedy that's still really funny if you like surreal weird humour. Short gag segments.

- Infinite Ryvius (90s)
Fantastic sci-fi, still one of the very best to this day. Summary is: Lord of the Flies in space. But honestly I think its less grim than LotF. Still, interesting to watch.

- Slayers (90s)
the original fantasy comedy. basically, if you like fantasy with a little bit of humour to it, maybe you'll enjoy this.

- Serial Experiments Lain (90s)
If you like psychological, surreal stories, here's a classic one

Also nod to Akira (80s), and Nausicaa (80s), which are great films

2000s stuff...
It's hard for me to consider 2000s old, because most of the anime I watched is from that era, but of course, there's plenty of good shows from that time period
Honestly, it would take me all day to list great shows from the 2000s because so many anime were made in that era and so many of them are good

Back