Anime-Planet Secret Santa 2020

39BYS.png

Thanks to both of my Santas! @AnnaSartin and @Myhnam

I, luckily, managed to watch all the recommendations from my second santa and I really enjoyed them!
Unfortunately, I couldn't get to the ones from my first santa, and one of them was a show I had originally dropped. (Should have specified that I didn't want dropped shows so that's fine) However, I still appreciate all of your recs!

Happy Holidays! :balloon:

My white whale of manga... Your Santa is a classy one. I read that years ago, but the translators stopped translating it also years ago. Didn't even finish the volume. But the last chapter, there's not only that but the fabled (Probs) final volume, online somewhere but in raw form. Criminally under-read.

Your Santa is a classy one.

WHAT IS THIS? HUH? YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT YOURSELFF @Thrawn >:0

39BYS.png

Thanks to both of my Santas! @AnnaSartin and @Myhnam

I, luckily, managed to watch all the recommendations from my second santa and I really enjoyed them!
Unfortunately, I couldn't get to the ones from my first santa, and one of them was a show I had originally dropped. (Should have specified that I didn't want dropped shows so that's fine) However, I still appreciate all of your recs!

Happy Holidays! :balloon:

Glad you enjoyed the four series I recced! I really want a season 3 of The Heroic Legend of Arslan.
:crying:

Hrmmm, I don't think I've seen Santa #1 in this thread? Was curious if they had seen what was picked, or kind of just went with the first page of my watching list.

I had a fairly strong suspicion Anna was the second santa. The likelihood from analyzing at the start made it a fairly small demographic, the extra comments & writing style gave it away :P I think the signature piece missing was something cat related.
I still want to get to the majority of the remainder on the list. I took an anime break to do Christmas movies, then cycle through some tv shows, and last season of Sabrina is coming in a few days, then back to anime. Granblue was likely to be the next one or Nadia. Somali really was cute, I was hoping there would be a potential to S2, but it the golems timeline would make it seem unlikely, unless they get around it, which there could be.
With Utena, I think the main difference if I had to compare it to something like Sailor Moon, is just missing the funny aspect that Serena brings, and there isn't really the typical "bad guys", so it ended up being a bit on the slower/quieter side, and felt more dialogue intensive. There were parts/topics that had me engaged, especially towards the later episodes, and some that didn't.
I appreciate that you put the effort into these. Curious if you volunteered to do so, or were assigned o: Mainly cause the Santa event many years ago, it seems like a sort of good karma return.

I appreciate that you put the effort into these. Curious if you volunteered to do so, or were assigned o: Mainly cause the Santa event many years ago, it seems like a sort of good karma return.

You are correct, I did indeed specifically volunteer to be your Santa. I put special effort in trying to match both your interests and the need for an English dub to keep sleepy Wolfy awake.
:duck:

Dear Santa,
Thank you so much for my recs. Magical Girl Raising Project was my favourite. I don't know what I was expecting, but it was one wild ride. I would like to know what happens next.

Merry Christmas!

PS. I also loved The Promised Neverland, but haven't gotten around to posting my review yet. Stay tuned!

I had two Santa's this time @AnnaSartin and @avacadolouie.

From Anna's list, I watched Inuyashiki. I absolutely loved this one. I didn't even read the description before watching which made for a really enjoyable experience. I had no idea where the show was going in the first episode.

The characters were great as was the moral drama between and among the protagonist and antagonist. It was also neat seeing an anime with an elderly protagonist. I will definitely recommend this to others.

I am currently reading Skull-Face Bookseller Honda-san. I am enjoying it and will post my thoughts here when I finish.

Regrading avacadolouie's list, I am still working on it. I have a ton of free time right now, so I will post my reads soon.

Keivind gave recommendations to Max02Ro

So, How I'm 99% sure you where my Secret Santa and there was a lil typo for my name, @keivind I wanted to thank you for the amazing recs you gave me and I hope my messed up list didn't give you too much trouble trying to choose. I'm glad you where my first ever Santa :3 I will do my best to finish FLCL one day too. I'm still sad Kino's Journey had just 13 episodes, I wanted more and more - maybe I would've been satisfied just with over 100. And I always skipped watching Hinamatsuri from when it aired for the first time, till now, so I was happy to have a reason to watch it. (b ᵔ▽ᵔ)b

Lemonade526 gave recommendations to Timed

Although as I said in my last post I had only watched one of my recs and plan on watching the other ones soon anyways, but... I would like to thank my santa for the recommendations that I had received and this was really for the first time doing this and definitely plan on participating again next year.

TromboneCoyne gave recommendations to Sabure
Sabure
gave recommendations to ChrolloLucilfer

@TromboneCoyne : Thank you very much for the recs. All three of them were solid titles, especially Your Lie in April which became one of my most beloved titles. After watching the anime and fighting back the tears, I managed to find and watched the live-action movie (which is just as good if not better than the anime) and ordered the Blu-ray collection that came out earlier this week. I should receive it by Monday.

@ChrolloLucifer: Don't know what happened, but hopefully you'll consider watching the recs I gave you sometime in the future. They're pretty good shows and I think you will enjoy them.

SuperComicGeek gave recommendations to TurtleSlayer
NorthPole’s Elf Nicknames gave recommendations to SuperComicGeek
Well, now that all has been revealed, thanks @Nicknames for the recs! As I mentioned before, I liked hinata no Aoshigure, it was cute and fun! I found the first arc of Mononoke to be a bit triggering but I gave it a second try after reading some spoilers and confirming that the other arcs probably wouldn't bother me as much. I am enjoying the atmosphere and creativity of the series so far and will finish it at some point although probably not for awhile. I have a job with long hours and high stress so now is a bit of a bad time but it will end soon and I'll get back to it.

@TurtleSlayer I noticed that you started 2 of my recs but I'll take this opportunity to explain the thinking behind them since I didn't include anything with my recs. I had a bit of a hard time since you haven't rated many things and your only request was no ecchi but I saw that you had finished multiple Gintama and the Disastrous Life of Saiki K entries, I've seen some of Gintama and most of Saiki so I thought that you would enjoy a similar comedy (atmosphere wise) in Hozuki's Coolheadedness. You said that you were in an anime slump so I made sure to pick anime with multiple seasons in case you really enjoyed one. Chihayafuru was based on the fact you had watched several sports and drama series and I just had a feeling you might enjoy it. Spirit Circle is a rather unknown manga and I really didn't have a specific reason to recommend it, I just wanted to make sure you had several very different options in case you weren't in the mood for one or the other.​

Last edited:
Thank you @Nicknames and space ranger! Chrono Crusade became one of my all time favorites.

Post them. I'll assume the role of adopted child for the people.

kobayashi-500x300.jpg

Here are the recs I gave to @jmarcelo who never watched them even though I picked them out especially to their tastes...

Main Picks:

Bonus Picks:
The Garden of Sinners Movies (Action/Mystery series)

I only hope my receipt next year ...... has at least ratings or like/dislike character list cause my receipt this year literally had nothing to help me get an idea of their preference.
I dont even know their gender (was my last hope) lol.
I hope a new rule is made for ratings or having a characters loved/hated list.
This might be me? If it was I'm sorry about not having a liked/loved character list. I just personally didn't feel like adding those but if it would make it easier for others I can.

Back