Hypnosis Mic -Division Rap Battle- Rhyme Anima

WTF WAS THIS!!

XD

I was like "Oh, sure, I'll watch the rap battle anime, cuz that's probably going to be really good shit post fodder. Probably one of those shows that's so crazy bad that I can't stop watching it", Kind of thing. WHY WAS THIS ACTUALLY GENUINELY FUN TO WATCH!? XD

Idk if it's best of the season so far, it IS competing with Yashahime and a lot of other good shows but that was some sometimes at JOJO levels of ridiculous and it was pretty damn fun lol. No one else is doing THAT this season, that's for sure XD I'm ready for more.

This show is like JoJo and any card game anime had a musical baby. Just a bunch of ridiculous mic powers in a world where all conflict is resolved through rap battles. I loved it way more than I expected.

ALSO! That opening might be the best one this season, or at least a contender, cuz it was great!

I'm reading the posts but like, there's no way this can actually be good, right? How... how can the cultural power of rap undo the cringe of anime? What sort of black magic fuckening did they do to make this good?

Episode 1 and first impressions:
My first anime of the season and a much needed change of pace, since I've been slogging through the Umineko anime. Even if some people do make comparisons to idol anime, I haven't really seen that many of them. And maybe that's why I'm sort of optimistic about this anime. Especially the 2nd rap group, so far they sound the best out of the four groups. 12 characters already feels like a big cast as it is, and there are probably going to be more characters.

Although I will admit, some of the raps feel Jojo-esque since they do make me think of stand abilities. So I think I'm willing to keep going with the anime, cause I do want to see where they'll go with the characters. Hoping that some of the rap groups do get better though.

fun enough so far, I'm just overwhelmed by the amount of characters... and I know there'll be more haha
there's actually 2 more groups in the franchise but idk if they'll show up in the anime, maybe a cameo or so, only time will tell; i've been in hypmic hell from the day they released the first song lel

Last edited:
there's actually 2 more groups in the franchise but idk if they'll show up in the anime, maybe aa a cameo or so, only time will tell; i've been in hypmic hell from the day they released the first song lel
I don't know about the others, but I know I see so much art of this guy I was surprised to not see him in the show

Straight fire, super dope stuff. I'm with everyone else, I thought the law and order crew was the best of the lot, but I already know I'm going to rep that tired salaryman, 'cos why the hell not. Respect to the people behind the English, it must have been a headache and a half to translate all that stuff.

It's like some kind of reverse harem rap BL.
^ my thoughts on the OP ^

So... this is what happens when you take a gangster anime and swap out guns for microphones... and this is what we get.

WTF am I even watching?... it's so bad, yet so awesome...

But it's still bad.

Episode 2:

I just can't.

I swear to god this show is some hilarious level of perfection we've yet to see. I love that it decided on a premise and goes hard on it the entire time. It's like "This is a world where conflict is solved by rap battle and rap battle ONLY." and never deviates. This dude is robbing this cafe with a microphone. HE HAS A HOSTAGE WITH A MICROPHONE

This is.....this is jojo level fuckery and I'm here for it. 100%

HE TOOK A WHOLE CAFE HOSTAGE WITH SOME MICROPHONES!!! Do the cops have mics? How do they expect the cops to do anything without mics? Why are there cops, if every conflict is solved by rap battle why isn't there a cop rap squad. So many questions.

This fucking show. EVEN THE CG IS GOOD. I have no complaints about the CG and that's never been a thing before. Boy about this kick this guy's ass. Get em.

I never expected to love this show this much. I expected it to be prime shit post fodder but nope. It's great. I need more.

Hell, yeah. Would love it if the other crews got their own solo adventures too. The soundtrack's still lit, but the story would get stale fast if we only had to follow the Buster Bros. This has some mad Tokyo Tribe 2 vibes going on, which is a funny thing, but I'm super miffed they didn't think to give Kenjiro "Tenderloins Man" Tsuda a rap verse, at least.

Hell, yeah. Would love it if the other crews got their own solo adventures too. The soundtrack's still lit, but the story would get stale fast if we only had to follow the Buster Bros. This has some mad Tokyo Tribe 2 vibes going on, which is a funny thing, but I'm super miffed they didn't think to give Kenjiro "Tenderloins Man" Tsuda a rap verse, at least.

They actually had a manga PV for way of the house husband where Kenjiro Tsuda does a rap battle:

hrd2z62.jpg

Shame they removed the video.

Also, a criminal strapping mics to him as some suicide bomber was the funniest thing I've seen all week.

I just realized the tired salaryman has a cellphone for a microphone and I think I'm going to rep him even harder now.

They actually had a manga PV for way of the house husband where Kenjiro Tsuda does a rap battle:

hrd2z62.jpg

Shame they removed the video.

Also, a criminal strapping mics to him as some suicide bomber was the funniest thing I've seen all week.

The day we get a Way of the House Husband anime is the day I spontaneously combust. Anime's going to go all downhill from there, if that ever happened.

Everything about Hypnosis Mic is stupid and corny and I'm here for all of it. Even that part with one of the Buster Bros just happening to hack into the security cameras was something. It's useless to question anything that happens in this show and the way I see it, the faster we get to the raps, the better.

I also thought it was funny how the alpha Buster Bro was making his way downtown, rapping fast. If the bars really are considered weapons in this timeline, then that'd be almost like him randomly firing his gun in the air or something as he was on his way to back up his bros.

I think the best thing about this show is that it dials down HARD on its premise but in a way where it's a fun experience for the viewer. Nothing feels too out of the reach of possibility because this is a world where weapons are gone and rap is king. It stays fun and never tries to place it's self above the viewer in any way.

There's a fine line between an anime like this that is just good and fun and goofy and an anime like this where it takes itself too seriously and forgets it's own worlds rules out of convenience and tries too hard and gets sloppy. This show, so far, never crosses that line.

This whole world is fucking nuts, but we're enjoying the ride anyway. I'm loving this show so much, I hope it keeps the quality up.

Also the OP is fire!

No one is going to mention how eager the brothers were to polish Ichii's mic? The close up of one brother idly stroking it was enough of a hint for me.

The show's style really can't make up for it's complete lack of substance. It's using every hack move in the book to push the story along.

C3BYUAM.jpg

Little bro can't rap, but he's got other uses aside from his willingness to polish Ichii's mic real good.

Episodes 1 - 2

Alright, alright, I'll play this game. Yes, you can definitely throw this piece into the classic "so bad that it's good" and it definitely is enjoyable in this way. I am so far astounded in the way how the mics are used and I had to giggle in despair or disbelief sometimes. The rap battles so far are so so (yeah, let's go group 2 from Ep1!), but when those reproductors hit that ground and my eyes get flashed by all those colours and lightnings, I get sold. The story is completely silly and that is also a bit why I am worried if it will keep me interested long enough. Since I don't belive the actual premise can remain so absurdly funny until the last episode.

Episode 1 Ain't nothing to it gangsta rap made me do it:

This show has one of the dumbest premises I've seen in an anime. Unlike most other anime with dumb premises this one actually leans into it for a highly stylized bit of insanity.

Do I like it? I'm not sure yet. I like the stylization, I like the vibrant color palette and I like the general design. On the other hand I'm not that fond of the actual rapping so far. The first group was a little boring, the second was dope as fuck, the third was total cringe and the last one showed potential, but didn't hit the high notes of the second group.

So like maybe more raps about the navy and calling people scrawny hamsters.
Those divisions are literally as what you described them - first is boring, second is lit af, third is cringe and the last one is actually most popular (thanks to the "dead inside out" character) and I personally think they have big potential but they've never been my thing... Yup, MTC ftw basically.
The story is actually pretty good. I'm not talking about anime, but the original source material. At first I thought it's just your average shit for girls but the story really surprised me (in a good way). It's well thought but I think they can't adapt it well in just 13 episodes. There was TDD (The Dirty Dawg) being mentioned few times but I guess that was all about it? That's actually one of the most interesting arcs : )) rip
And even if those divisions are basically - boring, lit, cringy and decent ( ig?), it all depends on the characters. You may see them that way as a whole but if you can know them better, you'll realize it's not ONLY like that. The story also plays a big part in how you see the divisions... The cringy one actually has so twisted past. Like seriously, and we still don't know everything about what actually happened (especially to the pink guy and the gambler shithead). But I don't wanna spoil anything so I'll leave it at that.
And all those raps are new thing for us too! I loved MTC's rap so far. The other raps were okay I guess but they have much more great songs. Like the one from 2nd episode - Ore ga Ichiro. That's my 2nd favourite actually. If you were interested in MTC I reccommend you to listen to this:
It came out in January and I still haven't grown tired of it even though I listen to it on loop every once in a while. But generally I listen to it VERY often.
And it's gotten interesting lately thanks to new division of Chuoku girls :lenny:

Well this turned out longer than I planned. I just wanted to say the original source has a great story and deep characters. I'm afraid anime is going to screw it up because it's going to be so short and they seem not to adapt TDD arc but oh well. I'm just simping for every MTC's moment and with that I'm satisfied.

Back