Television Discussion

controversial opinion of the day about edgy cartoons: i actually think moral orel was one of the better satires both about child abuse, cyclical family abuse and religious abuse that has been made

it's one of the few shows where i've seen it actually make child abuse jokes and be funny because the gag isn't 'haha kid is being abused' it actually makes funny social commentary about the inept social ills that lead to abuse, incompetent parenthood and the story moves towards some sort of forward conclusion with orel's story

i actually think a side by side comparison of butters (south park) and orel (moral orel) is interesting because orel and butters
- are both goody two shoes children who are abused by their religious families as a running gag and their dad is having an affair with another man

- but moral orel is actually a good story whereas south park always comes down to 'haha butters is getting beaten and he doesn't deserve it that's funny' with no social commentary, and to be fair 'haha abuse' is a pretty common gag overall even outside of stories like this

- i think 'anything can be made funny' but a lot of the time it isn't and it's overused, esp re: edgy ''''shocking''' topics

Last edited:
controversial opinion of the day about edgy cartoons: i actually think moral orel was one of the better satires both about child abuse, cyclical family abuse and religious abuse that has been made

it's one of the few shows where i've seen it actually make child abuse jokes and be funny because the gag isn't 'haha kid is being abused' it actually makes funny social commentary about the inept social ills that lead to abuse, incompetent parenthood and the story moves towards some sort of forward conclusion with orel's story

i actually think a side by side comparison of butters (south park) and orel (moral orel) is interesting because orel and butters
- are both goody two shoes children who are abused by their religious families as a running gag and their dad is having an affair with another man

- but moral orel is actually a good story whereas south park always comes down to 'haha butters is getting beaten and he doesn't deserve it that's funny' with no social commentary, and to be fair 'haha abuse' is a pretty common gag overall even outside of stories like this

- i think 'anything can be made funny' but a lot of the time it isn't and it's overused, esp re: edgy ''''shocking''' topics
I’ve honestly never even heard of this show before. But you sure make it sound pretty damn interesting. I’ll take a peek at this sometime soon.

@Gens I will warn that Moral Orel is an Adult Swim show with the kind of dark edgy humour you'd expect in that case, especially in first season. But in an ultimately 'kinder' way imo, and since the show is shown in short 10 min segments you get to see it mature quickly. The story ultimately 'loves' Orel as a character and that makes a difference I think.

It's like adult swim show with a big heart

Quality over quantity. Most American shows become unwatchable real quick.
Heh, nothing personnel kid, but you wouldn't be able to truly appreciate the sheer genius that is Chuck Lorre, maker of multi-seasonal hit shows among the normie mainstream crowd. Shows like Two and a Half Men (12 years), Big Bang Theory (12 years?), surprisingly not 2 Broke Girls and Young Sheldon, which is Sheldon from BBT, but young. Because people wanted it? And it's a hit? As in more seasons than better shows like it because holy shit I'm watching Jimi Plays Monterey and he just played the guitar with his teeth and yo that's awesome shit man always awesome shit and my point is is that none of these were on Fox because they would have cancelled it, especially if it looked like it was a hit. Same with AMC.

What you should take away from this is that you should watch Lodge 49.

I’ve honestly never even heard of this show before. But you sure make it sound pretty damn interesting. I’ll take a peek at this sometime soon.
True fact about that show: The execs asked Dino (The creator) to go darker after this one particular episode in season 2. And he went so dark with this one episode in season 3 that they sliced the episode count in half and cancelled it.

Last edited:
So Adult Swim would rather piss away producing a shit ass anime adaptation of Shenmue than to complete the final (rumored) fucking season of Venture Bros and straight up cancelled it while it was still in production. It's a baseless accusation but fuck ATT, fuck WB, fuck Adult Swim, fuck Shenmue, and especially a big fuck you to Michael Ouweleen. And I'm livid this is the same asshole who co-created Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law. God fucking dammit.

Last edited:
So Adult Swim would rather piss away producing a shit ass anime adaptation of Shenmue than to complete the final fucking season of Venture Bros and straight up cancelled it while it was still in production. It's a baseless accusation but fuck ATT, fuck WB, fuck Adult Swim, fuck Shenmue, and especially a big fuck you to Michael Ouweleen. And I'm livid this is the same asshole who co-created Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law. God fucking dammit.
Adult Swim has a habit of cancelling shows in a similar way (aqua teen hunger force and metalocalypse come to mind though I've never watched them) so I don't think some of these things are related.

I was catching up on adventure time because reasons, and reached the finale.

The fact this kiss was actually censored in so many countries is fucking stupid to me. SCREW THE HOMOPHOBIC HATERS.

I've had my gripes with adventure time at points, but this emotional payoff was worth it. NO AMBIGUITY, FUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES.

I was catching up on adventure time because reasons, and reached the finale.

The fact this kiss was actually censored in so many countries is fucking stupid to me. SCREW THE HOMOPHOBIC HATERS.

I've had my gripes with adventure time at points, but this emotional payoff was worth it. NO AMBIGUITY, FUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES.
I've never squealed like a girl before I saw that finale.

Freaked the cat out.

Since the return of South Park was announced for the end of the month I've been catching up on the few (8) episodes I had yet to watch.

Like how cheeky and self-aware Trey and Matt are about the Tegridy Farms joke running thin for the audience yet they keep on trucking with it anyway. You couldn't get a show like South Park without those types of people behind it, so I'm all for it.

Back