Unpopular Anime Opinions

I find Nezuko from Demon Slayer completely disturbing. A great deal of my repulsion is that bamboo gag she wears- I know the reason for it, but every time I see her it makes me want to gag. That people find her moe is really weird to me. I've only seen three episodes of the show, so maybe as a character she's the cute little sister and all that, but she's a monster, and honestly it's hard for me to understand. In general I just really dislike the art in Demon Slayer- but especially the character designs, which I think are really ugly.

I find Nezuko from Demon Slayer completely disturbing. A great deal of my repulsion is that bamboo gag she wears- I know the reason for it, but every time I see her it makes me want to gag. That people find her moe is really weird to me. I've only seen three episodes of the show, so maybe as a character she's the cute little sister and all that, but she's a monster, and honestly it's hard for me to understand. In general I just really dislike the art in Demon Slayer- but especially the character designs, which I think are really ugly.
There are all sorts of female monster characters that are loved in anime and manga, but I will admit, I don't quite get why people make such a big deal over Nezuko. I didn't find her that awesome if I'm being honest. She was there to help her brother throughout the series, but I don't think she got as much development as she could have gotten. Though I could say the same thing about a number of characters from the series. The art in Demon Slayer is not going to appeal to everyone, but it felt old-school in a way that gave the series some identity.

I will honestly say that it felt like the author was making up the story as she went along with the series. Though that makes sense, since she wasn't really planning on being serialized in Shounen Jump. I confess though, I think I felt more and more unhappy the longer I kept reading Demon Slayer.

This is epic

There are all sorts of female monster characters that are loved in anime and manga, but I will admit, I don't quite get why people make such a big deal over Nezuko. I didn't find her that awesome if I'm being honest. She was there to help her brother throughout the series, but I don't think she got as much development as she could have gotten. Though I could say the same thing about a number of characters from the series. The art in Demon Slayer is not going to appeal to everyone, but it felt old-school in a way that gave the series some identity.

I will honestly say that it felt like the author was making up the story as she went along with the series. Though that makes sense, since she wasn't really planning on being serialized in Shounen Jump. I confess though, I think I felt more and more unhappy the longer I kept reading Demon Slayer.

I think for me, the dislike of Nezuko is kinda visceral- I think of how I would feel with a gag jammed in my mouth all of the time-it's not cute, it's painful and gross, and that'd make me a monster if I wasn't one before. However, the art-style just didn't work for me at all in the series. The character designs are just different- I don't particularly care for a lot of shonen artwork, but I found this style to be particularly unappealing. I was excited at first about the ukiyo e aesthetic but it felt really out of place for the kind of action-shonen it was- it would have fit a lot better in a historical setting. Mostly I think it just wound up being not my kind of show.

I think for me, the dislike of Nezuko is kinda visceral- I think of how I would feel with a gag jammed in my mouth all of the time-it's not cute, it's painful and gross, and that'd make me a monster if I wasn't one before. However, the art-style just didn't work for me at all in the series. The character designs are just different- I don't particularly care for a lot of shonen artwork, but I found this style to be particularly unappealing. I was excited at first about the ukiyo e aesthetic but it felt really out of place for the kind of action-shonen it was- it would have fit a lot better in a historical setting. Mostly I think it just wound up being not my kind of show.
I think the idea for art-style in regards to anime/manga has different aspects when it comes to genre. The aspect of Shounen art is its aim to be cool, well at least for those that are trying to be cool. And then we have Shoujo, and its aspect to be elegant. @Akishima From what I can tell, it seems you prefer the Shoujo style. Or at the very least, a Shounen art-style that is sort of like Rumiko's art.

Over-designing can be a problem though in anime/manga though. Take for instance some of Nomura's designs for Final Fantasy. https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TooManyBelts

I think the idea for art-style in regards to anime/manga has different aspects when it comes to genre. The aspect of Shounen art is its aim to be cool, well at least for those that are trying to be cool. And then we have Shoujo, and its aspect to be elegant. @Akishima From what I can tell, it seems you prefer the Shoujo style. Or at the very least, a Shounen art-style that is sort of like Rumiko's art.

Over-designing can be a problem though in anime/manga though. Take for instance some of Nomura's designs for Final Fantasy. https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TooManyBelts

You got that right- I love elegant artwork. The art is incredibly important to me, so I tend to decide what I'll watch based on that first. I actually don't care for a lot of shoujo artwork either, the ridiculously over-sized shoujo eyes and overly-pointy chins really bother me. Most anime have a more mainstream look to them, so I watch a wider variety of shows, but when it comes to manga, I pretty much only read manga by female authors for this reason. I realized a while back that my ideal manga is a shounen story by a female artist, cuz I like pretty backgrounds and beautiful character designs.

Haha, yeah, FF did kinda go way too far with the belts. But I can't deny the coolness of having at least two or three.

I think seinen manga tends to have more intricate art styles, also I think it depends on the publication time honestly. I imagine you have way more time to be intricate and detailed with the art style in monthly publications compared to weekly. Monthly publications are just healthier for the mangaka's health, than having weekly deadlines shoved up their asses. Yeah, it sucks I gotta wait longer, but quality > quantity to me.

I think seinen manga tends to have more intricate art styles, also I think it depends on the publication time honestly. I imagine you have way more time to be intricate and detailed with the art style in monthly publications compared to weekly. Monthly publications are just healthier for the mangaka's health, than having weekly deadlines shoved up their asses. Yeah, it sucks I gotta wait longer, but quality > quantity to me.

I never really thought about that, but makes sense to me. I'm still trying to get a sense for what constitutes seinen stuff. I would classify it as mature themes (often depressing) and cute girl stuff, but that's oversimplifying it. When I look at the shounen stuff I've seen vs. the seinen stuff, a lot of it doesn't seem that different. Guess it maybe is more down to what magazine it's published in than anything else.

I never really thought about that, but makes sense to me. I'm still trying to get a sense for what constitutes seinen stuff. I would classify it as mature themes (often depressing) and cute girl stuff, but that's oversimplifying it. When I look at the shounen stuff I've seen vs. the seinen stuff, a lot of it doesn't seem that different. Guess it maybe is more down to what magazine it's published in than anything else.

Seinen is definitely just about the magazine, it's such a jumble of stuff. Sweetness & Lightning and Tokyo Ghoul are both seinen, after all, and it kinda gives me a headache thinking about them connected in any way beyond "not aimed at 12 yr old boys".

I think it's easier to find more distinctive art styles in magazines aimed at adults, especially the mags that are consciously more eclectic. Aside from that, I don't think it's nearly as easy to pin down a particular kind of aesthetic in those demographic areas the way it can be in shounen and shoujo.

Seinen is definitely just about the magazine, it's such a jumble of stuff. Sweetness & Lightning and Tokyo Ghoul are both seinen, after all, and it kinda gives me a headache thinking about them connected in any way beyond "not aimed at 12 yr old boys".

I think it's easier to find more distinctive art styles in magazines aimed at adults, especially the mags that are consciously more eclectic. Aside from that, I don't think it's nearly as easy to pin down a particular kind of aesthetic in those demographic areas the way it can be in shounen and shoujo.

Oh good, it's not just me then. I did a search of my watched shows by the different target demographic tags, and seinen was just so...random.

I also hate selective bias as well. Because often times when guys write les stories it ends up being trashy fap material or vice versa. Fetishization!= as real acceptance. It can just be a pretty poor double standard.
It's also a backhanded way of implying you judge someone's claim to human rights based on how attractive they are. Barf.
I see that a lot with trans people these days, where someone that can "pass" gets fetishized and "accepted".

It depends entirely on stuff like page count. Monthly publications usually have just one or no assistants. But it is healthier, though if your series isn't super popular then you may need to do even more work on the side.
The "age genre" thing is getting silly by this point, though. There's hardly a meaningful distinction between shounen and seinen anymore due to demographic shifts and the industry adjusting to those.

Don’t know if this counts as unpopular opinion?
But I actually ENJOYED Nichijiou ( think I spelled it wrong lol) but I caught my self laughing at half of the jokes
Pretty sure Nichijou is widely considered a cherished comedy classic that has transcended the seasonal format and is still widely enjoyed today.
One day I hafta do a full rewatch of that show. I intentionally refrained from rewatching more than clips.
Nichijou literally contributed heavily to saving my life.

The "age genre" thing is getting silly by this point, though. There's hardly a meaningful distinction between shounen and seinen anymore due to demographic shifts and the industry adjusting to those.

Yeah, it's pretty arbitrary at the end of the day. I just primarily mean I guess a lot of manga I've personally seen that have gotten serialized in weekly shounen jump to me for instance, just don't really compare to the art I've seen from say Berserk and Vinland Saga. At least in terms of top favourites for me.

Speaking of which, it reminds me when you mentioned Vinland Saga changing publications and then DAT major art shift. Man, that was fucking epic as hell.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the new Boogiepop more than I enjoyed the older one. Older one put me to sleep multiple times

7seeds Netflix adaption was shit . again fell asleep multiple times

Anonymous noise should NEVER be compared to NANA .. like ever .. just cause they both have subtle hints of romance and some music in it doesn’t mean they’re one in the same because they definitely aren’t.

Don’t know why some people used to hype up Shugo Chara back in the day lol the anime was
giphy.gif

but I used to love the manga

I enjoyed the new Boogiepop more than I enjoyed the older one. Older one put me to sleep multiple times

7seeds Netflix adaption was shit . again fell asleep multiple times

Anonymous noise should NEVER be compared to NANA .. like ever .. just cause they both have subtle hints of romance and some music in it doesn’t mean they’re one in the same because they definitely aren’t.

Don’t know why some people used to hype up Shugo Chara back in the day lol the anime was
giphy.gif

but I used to love the manga
I think what made me hate the Gonzo/7 Seeds adaption more was the fact that I read a good chunk of the manga before the season got dropped. Then I got to see all the mistakes Gonzo made with the story adaption. Pretty much killed some of my faith in the studio and any chances of seeing the other season(s). One of the many examples why I live by my code as an anime fan. That most of the time, the manga usually is better than the anime.

Unpopular Opinion: Tokyo Godfathers is just ok. I didn't care for it for a number of reasons, starting with the ugly character designs (intentional, I know, but I still dislike them) and the ridiculous abandoned baby plot in general. I'm probably the grinch, so any sappy xmas sob story makes me groan on principle, but that aside, the entire plot had me rolling my eyes at the absurd coincidences and plot contrivances. It's kind of funny that the most positive Satoshi Kon film is my least favorite, but that's how it is. He did his best work when exploring the frailty of the human psyche and the blurring of the line between reality and illusion, rationality and insanity.

Unpopular Opinion: Tokyo Godfathers is just ok. I didn't care for it for a number of reasons, starting with the ugly character designs (intentional, I know, but I still dislike them) and the ridiculous abandoned baby plot in general. I'm probably the grinch, so any sappy xmas sob story makes me groan on principle, but that aside, the entire plot had me rolling my eyes at the absurd coincidences and plot contrivances. It's kind of funny that the most positive Satoshi Kon film is my least favorite, but that's how it is. He did his best work when exploring the frailty of the human psyche and the blurring of the line between reality and illusion, rationality and insanity.

I still like Tokyo Godfathers as his only grounded movie basically, but I have to admit, it's not in my top favourite movies for him and his surrealist work is what I end up re-watching the most.

Back