Daily Anime Thoughts

I just wanted to say that Starletka's sig is the best advertisement there is for Great Pretender.
Leave it to Star

tumblr_inline_p97hnpThau1u19mvj_400.gif

Peter Grill might be the first anime to ever go on my dropped list. I just can't handle the double standard about male rape. It makes me angry that Peter being sexually assaulted is treated as a funny and kinky joke.
But the laydeez are hawt so it's fine! We're supposed to want to sex the 2D rapists up, so our desire and consent is used so Peter has no say in it. It looks like unfunny dross, though.

DAT: You know, I've been thinking about this for a while, and I think it needs to be said. Golden Kamuy gets praise for the humor and the explicit violence and the sneaky feels and the reverse fanservice, and it deserves it all 100%, but there's one aspect I don't think it gets enough credit for. And that would be the morality of the characters, which I think is ultimately the main reason why the series captivated me so much.

There is no "good side" and "bad side" in this series, absolutely no "good vs. evil" whatsoever. With the exception of Asirpa and the characters who are just living their day-to-day-lives like Huci, all the prominent characters, by our standard moral rules, are without a shred of doubt "bad". Take any of them and put them in another series and they would be the villain. They all kill, torture, lie, decieve, manipulate, use each other and betray each other left and right, BUT no one is "evil" just for the sake of "being evil". They do all these things in just the right, reasonable amount. No one kicks puppies because the script needs a villain or because they forcibly need to show the reader/viewer that, yes, this character is suuuuuppeeeeerrrrr eviiiilllllll or wants to rule the world or whatever. The characters in GK only follow their own self-interests, morals, and goals, and they just do whatever is needed to survive. And no one is painted as a saint. They're all on the same morally gray ship (the only exception would probably be Tanigaki, because he alone got a redemption arc, but even he was "bad" by the usual standards before, kidnapping Asirpa and all). Even the protagonist Sugimoto leaves a trail of blood and misery behind him, and even the goal he himself follows isn't the morally right one (the morally right thing would be to find the stolen gold and return it back to where is was stolen from, a goal not a single character in the series follows). And that, at least for me, makes it super-compelling to read/watch.

I can't really think of many series that do this and not just in anime.
Sounds like many D&D campaigns.

Peter Grill might be the first anime to ever go on my dropped list. I just can't handle the double standard about male rape. It makes me angry that Peter being sexually assaulted is treated as a funny and kinky joke.

I wouldn't blame you, because nothing is really lower than leveraging rape for laughs especially with a side of NTR.

I'm watching the titan's bride short because the premise sounded so ridiculous to me but other than that I've given up completely on watching anymore of those rape hentai shorts.

I'm watching the titan's bride short because the premise sounded so ridiculous to me but other than that I've given up completely on watching anymore of those rape hentai shorts.
I'm with you there. I'd mostly stopped watching these kinds of shorts because they're just lazy bullshit. I only picked up the titan one because it had that isekai premise and furry shit that would make it something more memorable.

Back