Daily Manga Thoughts 2: The Return

DMT

The more I think about it, the more impressed with what Watamote has ended up as

q2.png

Makes me want to step back and consider just how the heck we got here from there.
Considered posting that as well. The series went from being about farming cringe, to a surprisingly uplifting story where Kuroko as a character gets to consider far more angles to life. And everyone is kinda weird in their own way. Even "basic" people. And Kuroko's life didn't just "magically" become better. At the critical points she actually put in real effort on something she struggled with, and it was a somewhat slow transition. It's pretty optimistic in a way, being a sound contrast to the bleak hopelessness earlier in the series.

Considered posting that as well. The series went from being about farming cringe, to a surprisingly uplifting story where Kuroko as a character gets to consider far more angles to life. And everyone is kinda weird in their own way. Even "basic" people. And Kuroko's life didn't just "magically" become better. At the critical points she actually put in real effort on something she struggled with, and it was a somewhat slow transition. It's pretty optimistic in a way, being a sound contrast to the bleak hopelessness earlier in the series.
It was the school trip. That was the true transition.
That's just how it is. It's not unusual for weird seeming people to begin to feel normal once you better understand them and same goes the opposite.

The way the manga has been since the start of the 2nd year makes me somewhat resent the anime in retrospect. Not because it is bad, (it's great) but it gave a lot of people the impression that there was little else going on besides the relatable 2nd hand embarrassment since it only covers the first four or so manga volumes. Not to mention, the majority of the cast at best appear as extras in the anime or not at all. It makes it kinda hard to discuss what the real appeal of the story is to people who only watched the anime in a way that isn't the case with most other anime adaptations.

That's on the author for taking too long to make it into something more than vicarious cringe. I continued reading past the anime until I gave up on it, and up to the point I reached it was still the same aimless thing. That is not to say I picked it up expecting something to change, but suffice to say the core concept wore itself thin eventually.

That's on the author for taking too long to make it into something more than vicarious cringe. I continued reading past the anime until I gave up on it, and up to the point I reached it was still the same aimless thing. That is not to say I picked it up expecting something to change, but suffice to say the core concept wore itself thin eventually.
Tbf, that's what the main appeal of the series was until that point. Chapter 71 is the start of great changes in the story.

^ Neat, another long-running Jump series is ending. The magazine's landscape keeps changing and I'm a fan.

EDIT: Speaking of which, I started reading Magu-chan: God of Destruction on a whim and it's been growing on me. Comfy comedy, hope they won't axe it.

Last edited:
DMT: Haikyuu!! is now ending, and there's no sports series to replace it yet. So apparently this will be the first time since 1968 that Weekly Shounen Jump has gone without a sports manga in publication.
My guess is that the next wave of manga to debut will mostly be sports manga. They've been pushing gag manga pretty hard the last quarter to get that niche squared away, so I'm guessing they'll go all in on debuting a bunch of sports manga and putting those through the meat grinder to see which survive, if any.
Seems almost like an error to go potentially months without any sports manga, though. But this would make it extremely interesting if the speculated rumors of a new Slam Dunk anime turns out to be true. Then they can reprint that sports manga and sell like crazy, while also priming the sports-loving audience to their publication.
d m t: the next issue of haikyuu will be the final chapter and the series will be over. This actually makes me really sad. It always makes me sad when a series ends, but im a little sadder because its one i like. How has 8 years passed so quickly??

I'm sad to see Haikyuu go, but I think it ran a great course. I think it's a modern classic that'll be remembered fondly over time on the same pedestal as Slam Dunk is. I also find it wild that there was always a sports series in Jump and this'll be the first gap. I'm wondering if they'd ever try running a fantasy-sports series with a made-up game (i.e. Quidditch).
But on the flipside of that idea , I think the beauty of sports series is they help ground Jump's catalogue (mostly) into reality. Haikyuu was really good at this: everyone behaved and acted like real people, things like tournament losses weren't over-dramatized, and all of the gameplay was rooted in real-life volleyball plays and looked cool. I remember reading somewhere that participation in volleyball clubs spiked after Haikyuu was publicized and I think it commemorates the series' success because it made the actual game of volleyball look interesting and fun to play without relying on superhuman abilities (Kuroko's Basketball and Eyeshield 21 are pretty guilty of this, although definitely enjoyable).

I stalled Slam Dunk a little while ago, but I think this would be a good time to give it a second shot and fill the Haikyuu void until hopefully a great new sports story enters the fray.

I stalled Slam Dunk a little while ago, but I think this would be a good time to give it a second shot and fill the Haikyuu void until hopefully a great new sports story enters the fray.

you know what, I was staring at the Slam Dunk page not too long ago and I was really considering starting the series. I guess I should! It does sound pretty good. I need to fill the haikyuu void, too.

Amazon de-listing stuff with nekkid minors in it is the same as a government censoring an artist for trying to destigmatise the female vulva is the same thing and we must always say both in the same breath, lest we turn into hypocrites. The ANN forum never fails to dissapoint. Sheesh, I know free speech in a late capitalism world is a little more complicated than government action, but a company pulling stuff from its digital shelves isn't a dictatorship, stupid.

ETA: Oh, yeah, and if something is not available on amazon but on other digital storefronts, you might as well pirate it.

Amazon de-listing stuff with nekkid minors in it is the same as a government censoring an artist for trying to destigmatise the female vulva is the same thing and we must always say both in the same breath, lest we turn into hypocrites. The ANN forum never fails to dissapoint. Sheesh, I know free speech in a late capitalism world is a little more complicated than government action, but a company pulling stuff from its digital shelves isn't a dictatorship, stupid.

ETA: Oh, yeah, and if something is not available on amazon but on other digital storefronts, you might as well pirate it.

It's really amazing ("amazing") how that ANN thread on Amazon pulling titles just skipped right over people going "this happens all the time for publishers like Sublime" and straight to "it is a conspiracy from sjws hellbent on taking out anime and manga!!". Apparently we're just not gonna talk about the gay shit getting disappeared on the regular bc it might mean that the "we're getting persecuted for lolis!" theory might be wrong.

I think Amazon's decisions are terrible, but I'm not out here building elaborate conspiracy theories about how my having to buy my naked people books from other stores is bc homophobes are out to completely destroy the entire anime and manga industry to get rid of the gays. Though maybe I should, that could be fun. I might even be able to type it with a straight face for a few minutes before I break down and go "this book was uncensored, it's no wonder it got disappeared".

(And like anyone going "guess I'll just have to pirate it now!!" was ever actually buying in the first place.)

It's really amazing ("amazing") how that ANN thread on Amazon pulling titles just skipped right over people going "this happens all the time for publishers like Sublime" and straight to "it is a conspiracy from sjws hellbent on taking out anime and manga!!". Apparently we're just not gonna talk about the gay shit getting disappeared on the regular bc it might mean that the "we're getting persecuted for lolis!" theory might be wrong.

I think Amazon's decisions are terrible, but I'm not out here building elaborate conspiracy theories about how my having to buy my naked people books from other stores is bc homophobes are out to completely destroy the entire anime and manga industry to get rid of the gays. Though maybe I should, that could be fun. I might even be able to type it with a straight face for a few minutes before I break down and go "this book was uncensored, it's no wonder it got disappeared".

(And like anyone going "guess I'll just have to pirate it now!!" was ever actually buying in the first place.)
You'd think Amazon would de-list all the manga and anime if they were trying to destroy the industry, but apparently they're content to keep selling Naruto merch. It's almost like it's a result of Amazon's mercurial content guidelines being haphazardly enforced after they started listing stuff, but it's more fun to scream bloody murder over the internet.

"First they came for the Comic LO subscribers and I said nothing..."

I found a manga from the 80's called Kaze Iro Nikki and really enjoyed reading it (can't seem to find it on AP). I always thought old manga would be something not to my taste and kind of weird.

I'm getting the complete set Kashura for a huge discount, never heard of it, not sure whether to buy or not. Has anyone read this?

DMT:

This manga's fucking amazing:

605.jpg

I have never read a sex chapter that was this funny in my life.

This one: https://www.anime-planet.com/manga/do-chokkyuu-kareshi-x-kanojo

It's pretty refreshing honestly, because you normally don't even expect couples to go beyond even hand holding with most manga/anime in a school setting.
I always distinctly become aware of my tinnitus after reading any chapter of that series.
And I am so goddamn happy the series survived! It went for like a year or so in limbo as the series seems to be under some interesting IP law thing, so it was kicked out of the magazine, but not cancelled. So the author had the series in limbo while she looked for new magazines to take it on, and she finally found one recently. The series is on a slower schedule now, monthly I believe, but that's fine.
-----------------------------------
Speaking of amazing Reiwa romance series!
DMT:
The 100 Girlfriends Who Really, Really, Really, Really, Really Love You sounds like it should be the title of some trash heisei power fantasy BS, but instead it's literally one of the best "gimmick" romances I have ever read.
It does that thing you always wished a series would just do: Pick EVERYONE!

And it expends serious effort on not having anyone "fall to the side", which makes the title of the series an almost absurd promise that one can only wonder how the series will resolve.

It's also a really hilarious series, so it can and probably should be read for the comedy first and foremost.

Last edited:
DMT:
Glad as I am to see that vol 4 of Twittering Birds Never Fly is finally (supposedly) coming out in English, damn if I'm not pissed that it means DMP still has the license and I'll not be able to get nice print copies with a nice new translation for the first three vols from a competent publisher that doesn't act like selling print copies through multiple outlets and not just their own website is an actual celebration-worth accomplishment instead of the bare minimum.

I guess they found some spare change under the couch to pay the printers.

Surprise DMT 2:
Sublime announced a title that they've localized as Dick Fight Island and I have died completely and utterly. Dick Fight Island. This is an amazing choice on multiple levels, even if the book is ultimately something that I wouldn't touch.

Last edited:
DMT:

Shiori Experience: Jimi na Watashi to Hen na Ojisan is actually pretty damn fun. I love the premise of someone meeting the ghost of Jimi Hendrix. These music references............I always lament there's not enough good music anime out there, this seriously needs an anime adaptation. Shame the updates are so slow though. Meguro is definitely best girl for being a yankee:

DkFE8BzU4AAJQ1M.jpg

Back