Tower of God

Episode 13 and overall thoughts:
I don't think I have read that many manhwa series, so that may be why it sticks out to me. During this episode, I was surprised at how vindictive Rachael turned out to be. I know people will find enough reason to hate her with how she betrayed Bam, but I find myself feeling pity for her instead. She's in this situation feeling helpless but she doesn't know how to create change for herself. That's the impression I got from her at this point at the very least.

Part one pretty much feels like the prologue to Tower of God. And I do think SIU definitely has big plans with the story and the characters. Can't wait to see how Bam will grow as a character. So yeah, I enjoyed the season and feel pretty hopeful with the next story part. 4/5.

- Episode 13 -

Wondering why 'Rachel is a terrible, selfish, *increased profanity* girl who should be plunged into the depths of Hell' comments are plastered in plentiful quantity on every ToG related video?

That would be the manhwa readers.

I personally thought, as one of the aforementioned manhwa readers, that episode 13's extended insight on Rachel's thoughts and feelings from the beginning to the end of this season was an improvement on the original format's. If one reads a hundred more chapters into the webtoon/manhwa, it's really noticeable that any and every appearance made by Rachel is met by a torrent of savage comments, so I suppose that the anime wanted to make Rachel a character with more depth who is more sympathizable. There's going to be a schism between anime-onlys and manhwa readers on Rachel, and my solution is:

just read the manhwa and pray for an some measure of anime adaptation of season 2.

That's a roller coaster to go through in just ten minutes. It's also putting a lot of expectations on what the first ten minutes of a series is expected to deliver.

I mean, I'm not gonna lie; I do have high expectations when going into some anime. I had high expectations for this because it looked good from the cover and screenshots, sounded good from the summary, and was very hyped up as being good.

So when it failed to immerse me or wow me in the first few minutes, my disappointment grew. And if it can't do that in a few minutes, it failed. That's really all an anime gets; not just anime, but movies, books, TV programs, ect. Television/animation only gets 15 seconds, on average, to hook a viewer. It's a very short window, and Tower of God missed that window (and the time I gave it beyond that) for me.

I just got done watching Muhyo to Rouji, and that had a similar way of opening up (with some sort of emotional conflict between two characters). However, the expressions, the voice acting, the lighting, the music (or lack there-of in some places) in that anime hooked me much more efficiently than this did.

Not saying it doesn't hook other people as folks here seem to enjoy it, and that's fine. It just failed to hook me (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) is all. I'm frustrated because I wanted to like it, but it was confusing when it wasn't boring me.

Television/animation only gets 15 seconds, on average, to hook a viewer. It's a very short window, and Tower of God missed that window (and the time I gave it beyond that) for me.
15 seconds to hook a viewer is an unreasonably short span of time. With most things you have to give it until the end of an episode, that's where the hooks generally are and make people go "holy shit I need to see where they're going with this". With some shows it takes a bit longer, like 2 or 3 episodes. I personally watch two episodes and if I like what I see I continue, if not I probably just stall or drop it (or if something is bad enough I'll drop it after the first episode).

If you don't like the show that's fine though and there's others who didn't care for it as well, I'm speaking more in general terms here.

15 seconds to hook a viewer is an unreasonably short span of time. With most things you have to give it until the end of an episode, that's where the hooks generally are and make people go "holy shit I need to see where they're going with this". With some shows it takes a bit longer, like 2 or 3 episodes. I personally watch two episodes and if I like what I see I continue, if not I probably just stall or drop it (or if something is bad enough I'll drop it after the first episode).

If you don't like the show that's fine though and there's others who didn't care for it as well, I'm speaking more in general terms here.

it usually takes one episode to guadge the quality of the entire series. sometimes things are so bad you don't need to bother finishing the episode...........So I can respect anyone's opinion that this is one of those shows even if I don't agree, I dropped Shironeko Project that also aired this season in 10 mins. this was my take:

I got about 10 mins into this, but it took me 10 seconds to initially spot a poor generic exposition introduction and terrible low budget visuals.

There is nothing redeeming about this show, every element from the character types, and story-line has been done to death, and done much better than here...

dropped after half an episode........

I felt strong about it, but people still seemed to like it at that time, though it's 2 star average rating on the main site to date makes it seem I was right about it in my short time watching it............

anyways it is what it is...........as for me and tower of God, my 1st impression is a lot better than my final impression, it drew me in quite effectively, but nothing in the story has that stand out memorable factor, and I will likely forget it's existence in like a month's time.

The main issues that I have with the show is Rachel and the actual world-building.

I understand Rachel is supposed to be this blend girl that basically wants what Bam has. Their relationship and the time spend on it is the weakest element of the whole show.

As for the world-building, I've just not been shown enough and I don't know if this is the author's fault or by how the show was directed. The current tests are meant to carry a fair bit of weight but I just don't feel it. The backstories help shape that world but we've only been given a few glimpses. Make me care, please.

The most enjoyable parts of the show are the side-characters and their interactions. I want to see more of the side-characters but I'm not sure I'll get to see it in anime form.

6/10

Last edited:
I didn’t read the manga or we took before watching this, but I don’t like the ending... The way it left uncertainty to what actually happened made me a tad upset, but otherwise I rather liked it

I'm going to give this an overall 3.5/5.

I think I enjoyed the first half more than the 2nd and feel a bit more mixed about the 2nd half. I can completely get the Baam is a dull protag for people watching the anime honestly, and he gets more interesting to me after this season. Still had an entertaining time tho.

Heard Rachel characterization in the Manwha was not much expanded upon
which lead to some fans displeasing her for the unfortunate event
But from what Mystic heard, the anime gave her a better characterization. Actually alright with her and it does setup season 2.

46c903.jpg
Overall, great freaking music! Animation is not for everyone, but it is far better than finding "Fool's gold" i.e. great animation, but trashy plot and characters. Characters are definitely of interest especially as Mystic is rooting for best boi Shibusu and for people to finally treat him seriously and/or right! Some characters are forgetable because there was not much time to focus on them or will be revealed later on. But then there were some one dimensional characters like a certain villain who has a blood lust to fight strong people... Just your typical flat villain. Lore is rich. So much so that Mystic heard it was already planned many years ago? That is great to hear, but it kinda suck to also hear that. Fans could contribute a few ideas. Try not to go on a linear path, but if the author thinks it is for the best, then sure. Anyways, can see this already alluding to a lot of political issues with the lore given so far like
why Hansung wants to prevent Bam and other "threats" from climbing
. Overall... Might push it to 4.5/5

Really enjoyed this and it surpassed my expectations. Would give it a 4/5. Main complaints being that Bam and Rachel are just pretty shitty characters, but the rest are fine. Pretty shocked to hear this covered like 70 chapters, it really didn't feel rushed to me.

But I think the main problem is just that this is a stupidly long series, so 13 episodes isn't gonna cut it for getting anywhere decent in the plot or proper character development, and I do wish they started off with 2 cours. I hope for many many more seasons in the future.

Started watching this with high expectations thanks to all the hype. The first few episodes were underwhelming at best. After episode 5 or 6 it started picking up, until the 13th and final episode of the season which was horrible.
After all the action in the last episodes, ending the season with one that wasted 3/5 of it's time to explain the reason why Rachel did what she did (I didn't even care about this bitch), was a really bad decision. It left a bad taste at the end, and reminded me of how average the start was.

Also, the main character can't pull the series, he is bad, and most of the other main characters outshine him. So, I'm not expecting much from a potential sequel. It can't get much better.

The two good thing about this, were the OP and ED. Both in my top 3 for the season. The anime in general, 10th or 11th place for the season.

Back