Dungeons & Dragons Thread

Ablohoohoo~ the healthcare system is buckling under the sheer weight of all those that need intensive care and all the corpses piling up too fast for morgues to process, but won't someone think of the entertainment?? How dare that friend prioritize the well-being of vulnerable people in his family!?
Dr Drew said the virus was no big deal weeks ago, so that must be true then!
But oh boy if you or someone close to you suddenly starts struggling to breathe you'll be the first to come to the forum to complain how horribly slow the hospital service is.
Luckily Kentucky is run by someone with a lick of sense, so it won't get fucked like several other southern states that are pretending it will go away if you ignore it.
Oh, spare me the doomsaying. People like you have been acting like it's the end of days for weeks now. Guess what, earth is still spinning. And eventually people will realize this is just more over-hyped bullcrap like bird flu. And I'll be here to say I told you so. And I'll be sure to tell our absent player he's being a tool for signing up and then dropping out on the first night.

Heck, I might just sneak out tonight and have a little fun on the town to prove guys like you and him wrong.

Oh, spare me the doomsaying. People like you have been acting like it's the end of days for weeks now. Guess what, earth is still spinning. And eventually people will realize this is just more over-hyped bullcrap like bird flu. And I'll be here to say I told you so. And I'll be sure to tell our absent player he's being a tool for signing up and then dropping out on the first night.
It has 10x the mortality rate of flu and has killed more human by an order of magnitude than bird flu, but I'm not gonna stop you from bragging at how bad you are at math, or how you know nothing about bird flu's similarity to the Spanish flu, which is what scientists actually worried about. (Hint: Spanish flu killed people BECAUSE they had strong immune systems)
Oh, and the grand total fatality rate of Swine Flu after a year was 12K in the US. Coronavirus now has more than twice that in barely one month, and with no vaccine quickly becoming available.
But again, if you want to brag about how bad you are at math, I've seen you brag about sillier before.

Heck, I might just sneak out tonight and have a little fun on the town to prove guys like you and him wrong.
No one's impressed by that kind of hilariously petulant and childish act, and it's just comical anyways since Kentucky being on lockdown with even less registered cases than Norway means you're statistically unlikely to contract it even if you go licking most doorknobs, especially if you don't live in the state's epicenter.
So lucky you, you're probably not gonna end up like Karen Kolbe Sehlke and a bunch of other people who died or became severely ill of it after publicly calling it mere media hysteria.
(Obesity is a risk factor regardless of age, btw)
fb3ohsc7qkq41.jpg

----------------------------------------------

My art commissions got their sketch phase revealed yesterday! They look great so far, and I'll be happy to replace the shitty old art I had for my favorite NPC.

@BrainBlow
...You really responding to an argument we had 10 days ago?
Nine, actually. There's not a time limit on convos. I had simply missed the last notification from this thread and then noticed the oversight when I came here to post about my commissions.
What, statistics become too severe since then to push the "media hysteria" claim anymore? Don't worry, most pundits who mocked the pandemic a few weeks ago have since shifted tone to either pretend to always have taken it seriously, or to embrace apocalyptic chants about how great death is.

Nine, actually. There's not a time limit on convos. I had simply missed the last notification from this thread and then noticed the oversight when I came here to post about my commissions.
No, but there's a time limit for how long I care about a conversation. And 10 days is past said limit.

Also, the whole bad at math thing was just rude quite frankly. Was having a pleasant day before you came at me out of the blue.

This exists? One word: Nice.
I play D&D with my friends and a friend's parents. We try to be serious but fail miserably because of some people lol. Now we have the coronavirus and discord didn't work out either and now we're all sad.
That's pretty much my D&D game in a nutshell.

Last edited:
No, but there's a time limit for how long I care about a conversation. And 10 days is past said limit..
Then you wouldn't have replied.

Also, the whole bad at math thing was just rude quite frankly. Was having a pleasant day before you came at me out of the blue.
And "Ayone who worries about spread is a tool, and I'd be happily to act as a potential disease vector out of spite" was supposed to read as nice and civil?

This exists? One word: Nice.
I play D&D with my friends and a friend's parents. We try to be serious but fail miserably because of some people lol. Now we have the coronavirus and discord didn't work out either and now we're all sad.
That's pretty much my D&D game in a nutshell.
I feel ya. Would have had about five or six sessions done by this point if not for the pandemic.

And "Ayone who worries about spread is a tool, and I'd be happily to act as a potential disease vector out of spite" was supposed to read as nice and civil?
Never insulted you personally over this like you just did to me. Uncalled for. Especially out of nowhere over a week later.

I think it's best for both of us if I just put you on ignore for a while.

Gosh, I ordered two commissions for NPCs that are likely to recur in any campaign I run, and they are coming along so damn well and for a price I almost find revolting in its cheapness!

Also had our first in-person session last week! That felt reeeeal good. National disease transmission atm is basically double digit, so we felt it was safe to do it in our city now that restrictions are eased up. One player did wear a mask, though, and there was plenty sanitizer to go around. New game location in a player's new apartment let us be more spread apart as well.
Summer vacation will split the group again for a while, but I think we'll manage to get a session in before that.

Two parts. One from like a month ago as a DM, the other just a few hours ago.

First, start of the month I had the last session of the summer as a DM in the city I study in.
Ended up being some great encounters to save a child from a mysterious kidnapper. And, well, I think the post-session responses speak for themselves about the climax:
session-response-1.png

session-response-2.png
I'm basically redoing a campaign I did a few years ago, but now with new players and new ideas for how to improve what I once ran.
So at this point they are on their first guild mission and are to try to find a child taken in a raid on a caravan, whose deceased mother the party had found notes about that she'd written in captivity. They have found the father in the city that has taken out a contract to at least retrieve remains.
(Minotaur Fighter, Gnome Rogue, Human Cleric/Artificer, Wood Elf Moon druid, Vulpine Wizard/Bard)

On their early morning trip up the creepy mountain that they heard rumors about an old shrine on, they first encountered a pack of gnolls in a shouting contest with a pack of red goblins. It's a narrow road on the mountainside, so they have to figure out a way to get that shouting contest to resolve, or risk spending a better part of the day finding a detour.
So the gnome rogue takes on a mission to sneak around both groups, maneuver on loose rocks on a rocky descent, then climb up a tree and angle an arrow shot at the gnolls in a way that makes it seem like the red goblins had actually attacked them.
After making Jade's player sweat a lot from the high-risk skill checks to even get to that point, she actually succeeds, and the further infuriated gnolls charge and rout the red goblins that were not prepared for actual fisticuffs. Tense, delicious encounter.

Then they reach the actual shrine, and shit starts to get weird. All sorts of hallucinations and magical terrain effects taunt the players and unsettle them greatly, especially the tree full of quiet ravens moving perfectly in sync, staring with eyes seemingly humanoid. Then the lead raven lands on a player's arms, and its head suddenly opens up half a dozen eyes before flying away with the entire flock into the shrine.
By the time they reach, the mystique and tension is at peak, before Hexmerlda appears.
And here I basically went with the "color out of space" type of description by describing her appearance in terms that seem incomprehensible to the PCs, but the players themselves have reference: Most of her body sans the hair and eyes looks and moves like some early PS2 era video game character model, except there in reality with everything else that is photorealistic and grounded, causing a horrific uncanny effect.
She cackles at the party's poor positioning in their approach, and is cradling a swaddle with an infant in one arm, while standing next to a large black cauldron. She makes cryptic references to stuff and villains from the main quest and her intent to be her own faction and not side with them to take the players' mcguffin from the main quest.
However, she intends to have her "fun" and has some experiments she wants to run for her own ends, and propositons the players:
Each of them absorb a mercury-like floating orb, and she'll hand the child over, and even a resurrection scroll powerful enough to bring back the infant's mother. She promises as part of the contract that the experiment won't rob them of their souls or warp their bodies out of their natural shapes
However, all the while making the proposition she's openly antagonizing them to attack, seeming as unreliable as possible and leaning hard on the horror of the environmental circumstances (the raven flock sits at the top of the temple ruin and echo her like loudspeakers every time she laughs). She also regales that she's responsible for the tragedy of the infant's family. Why? Simple: The grandfather of the father had once slighted her many years ago, but died before she could get her cold revenge, so she just moved to the next of kin when it happened to be convenient. (this pissed the players off further, on top of the terror and tension) They inquire if one could take multiple orbs instead of others. Indeed, but Hexmerelda gleefully informs that a larger dose on a single individual means she can't guarantee no unwanted side-effects.
My music playlist is working fantastically and I even match speech patterns to the music as convenient, and the players are literally sweating and sliding to the edge of their seats. As Hexmerelda continues to goad them and gradually seems to loosen her grip on the infant right above the now boiling cauldron, the Gnome Rogue Jade agrees to the deal, pressing her finger to a magical blood seal contract. The Vulpine Wizard follows shortly, as does the Minotaur fighter, and then the Human Cle/Art.
But a complication: The Druid's backstory literally includes vows to never enter such dark magical deals, and the player is literally willing to fight to the death. And the party suddenly realizes that the contract is already in effect: Hexmerelda can't attack anyone that entered it, but they also can't hurt her. It would be the druid, alone, against Hexmerelda, who has made it clear she won't allow them to leave with an incomplete deal. She's clearly doomed, and the players can't intervene, only watch as she's slaughtered or worse.
But then the Human Cle/Art after much tense brooding speaks up and demands the druid's share, doubling his own dose.
Hexmerelda laughs with exuberation and seals the deal. Everyone is shocked as the orbs slam into their bodies, and the Human collapses in pain and experiences various sensations of pain and power before stabilizing.
In a quick wrapup the party are able to return to town, heroes, saving the infant and the deceased mother and returning them to the until now utterly distraught father. Yet they feel exploited, traumatized, defeated.
The Cle/Art with his double dose goes to bed that night, and feels his heart palpitate. End of session.

Each player that took a dose got two power bonuses from it. The human with his double dose is in for some fuuuuun stuff in the narrative...
Almost looking forward to the end of summer so we can pick it back up. This campaign would have been much further along if not for the pandemic in spring...

---------------------------
Finally got to play as a player last night in the local west marches campaign at the mid-tier level.
The premise of the campaign is a magically transported town and town parts that have sent people from various realms to one region, and players are then trying to make the city survive.
The town was betrayed by what they thought were allies, and is now occupied by the dragon theocracy, and the various PCs in different parties are leading a resistance and gathering allies.
This time the group I played in was tasked with raiding the town's warehouse, bringing along two portable holes to fill up with resources stocked by the occupiers.
My character is/was the town's crypt keeper shadow sorcerer. Heavily apolitical as a character, but the theocracy branded him a heathen for his practices and kicked him out. Literally the one thing that would make him explicitly take sides in a political conflict.

The session was a blast, and we almost accidentally stumbled upon the best course of action when, as things do, stuff went wrong.
Everyone got to do stuff:
The rangers (fairly fresh players) that triggered the magic ward alarms drew off a contingent of enemies away from the warehouse and skirmished with great effect.
My sorcerer's Hound of Ill Omens battled guards at the gate, keeping them from running inside, and the Oathbreaker Paladin rushed in to assist it and did a smiting crit on his very first attack, then having an epic stand against multiple enemies side by side with the hound.
The other sorcerer gather intel about the type of wards inside the city and rolled amazing on the wild magic table, also picking off guards that could witness his infiltration identity.
My sorcerer teleported the Minotaur Barbarian straight up to the ware house and we busted through the walls and fought off guard elementals (the barbarian magically enlarged by my sorcerer) and then we hastily toppled shelves of goods into the portable holes as we heard adult dragons in the distance react to the chaos and start to come towards us. (we're like level 6-7)
Portable Holes filled, I manage to use my magic rake to teleport myself and the barbarian to an allied spot, recovering the loot. The rangers fled through cornfields and used Pass Without a Trace to leave no trail, while the Paladin and other Sorcerer rode out on a Pegasus, which can outpace dragons in the air.
Huge success, and everyone got their moments of being useful and cool. Everyone played an important part. I even leveled up and got enough treasure points to buy the third attunable magic item I had saved up for: The Cloak of Arachnida.
Fantastic evening all-round.

We recently wrapped up Tomb of Annihilation after over easy a year of playing. I managed to never die, but my poor warlock lost her powers, but Tzeench or whatever wanted her to

kill that fool Volo, which she did in the epilogue, which was almost as evil as when she killed a bunch of snakeleopard monster cubs because the party slew their parents. She lived to tell the tell and got her loot. Sweet stuff.

I have more than a few complaints about the campaign, but the DM did a good job despite the adventure's flaws. Running shit as written is a fool's game for the most part, anyway. Now, we have to start a new campaign, and I foolishly volunteered to run. Now I'm trying to think up two campaigns: one for Stars Without Numbers (all hail Kevin Crawford!) or Dark Heresy 2nd. edition. Now I have to use my imagination, which is terrible.

Such a cute thread. I've always loved DnD system and the FR setting (and read numerous novels about it), but only joined the ranks of irl players shortly before COVID.

We still play (via roll20), but it's not the same of course. On the brighter side, it helps to keep the group intact, since one of us moved to another country during this time, and I might have to leave soon as well.

I've been thinking lately that my current character turned out to be much more fun than I've expected, by what seems to be the hand of fate.
He's a (sort of) orphaned half-elf, raised by priests (not catholic XD) and thus becoming a cleric. I've conjured a backstory about his parents who were prominent in magic, and whose pursuit of magic knowledge and power became their undoing, so as their child my char was supposed to be cautious and distrustful of wizardry, traumatized by the consequences of arcane spellcasting.

The ooc idea was to be a support class, a balanced buff/heal/attack party member, and so I've picked Light domain (quite used to play as light paladins/clerics in various MMO/RPGs).
Suddenly, the group setup came to be completely devoid of ranged and magic dps. So in the natural course of the campaign (and largely thanks to repeatedly derailing combats) my role instead of a support turned into a heavy spell artillery (while off-tanking sometimes XD). Moreover, with level-ups my Light domain started giving me always prepared fire attack spells from arcane spell list. And I myself started feeling a raising joy and excitement when preparing to incinerate enemies with scorching ray or radiance of dawn (and in the anticipation of the FIREBALL).

In the end I'm now roleplaying a confused and torn soul, who on one hand wants to stay a pious and kind cleric, true to the credo of Lathander, and who knows too well of the dangers of uncontrolled sorcery; but who on the other hand has a dark pyromaniacal desires awakening deep inside, in addition to the hunger for magic power boiling in his blood thanks to his parents - and encouraged to explore this pathway further by the his party's circumstances.
I was not planning such turn of events, but it's amazing how DnD can be, and it's a lot of fun :3

P.S. @BrainBlow mind if I ask how much do you pay in avg for the art?

Last edited:
I read about some guy, who spent years in solitary confinement. Where you sit in the dark with nothing to do, yanno. So he claimed to had played DnD in his mind that entire time. Creating all kinds of worlds to stay sane in reality.

P.S. @BrainBlow mind if I ask how much do you pay in avg for the art?
Depends entirely on the artist and what level of art you're going for. Shaded colors and full-body art means coughing up extra dough most of the time. Vermer Remrev was about 100$, and you had to be a patreon member to be able to reserve a commission.
----------------

New NPC art by Sam Frisk.
Deryssa, the "homonculi" monk/ranger that assists the party as an emissary for an important NPC, but was also a central NPC to a side-quest involving the party busting a cult related to both her own backstory and that of one player character. The story was yet another part of the buildup to one of the greater villains of the campaign that is basically a mad scientist that also uses magic to do body modification to become the "perfect life", but that research requires a lot of test subjects for individual modifications before a modification is implemented on the leader himself, and Deryssa is a subject that escaped captivity after being experimented on. With this mini-arc she'd been following a lead to find one of the baddie's lieutenants for answers.
Deryssa.png

-------------

Then there's this art by Mano.
The leader of the "Bone Preservers", commonly known as the "Marqutan Inquisition."
A central part of the power structure of the arcanist city of Nizh, as its security forces is primarily composed of foreign renegades running away from things such as prosecution for crimes, and Nizh takes them in if they are of great magical talent and use them in the "secret" police force. Since they are foreigners and indebted to the city, they are a vital part of keeping balance between the great families of the city, avoiding such a dangerous tool having allegiance to one family rather than the city as a whole.
The one depicted here is the leader of the Investigative unit. The tricolored brooch represents the city and its three main families. All "Inquisitors" wears masks to hide their identities as they are believed to be magic users with high bounties on their heads in other countries, making adoption into the three families impossible as it would be a diplomatic crisis, but their talents are seen as too good to waste.
While their uniforms are highly personalized, they typically wear white cloaks with teal and black decorative colors, and a sort of animal-themed mask. This one is themed after a shrimp.
Inquisitor.png

Have you ever created/played characters with a backstory/background of a simple, regular person?

A peasant, a commoner, a bandit? Smth like that.

I for some time played a character who was a cobbler's son and served in town watch, but (resigned and) joined the adventuring party after they'd thwarted goblin threat on the request of the mayor, and returned victorious to the town.

Back