Daily Anime Thoughts

Shame the one badminton anime out there sucks though, that cut me deeper than a knife's edge.
H9WaF1u.jpg

I enjoyed it.

Do you just have an Excel spreadsheet of S-tier, memeable anime on your harddrive or what?
More like a directory listing of folders containing the actual anime.

giphy.gif

Did somebody say... sports? Are you kidding me? I love sports and I love sports anime. If I had the chance and the choice to get reborn in an anime series, I'd definitely choose to go to a high school sports team. Spending your afternoons, evenings, and weekends with sweaty guys who all want to reach the same summit you do, man, that's the stuff. Getting pumped up by a scored goal, basket, or point, and hearing the hypest soundtrack to go with it? There's nothing else like it in the world.

It's hard to pick a favorite now, because all good sports series will give me the same kind of rush, but the top of my mind choice is Run with the Wind. Slam Dunk will always be the gold standard for me, while Ippo's a close second.

I like sports anime. My favourite sport anime wise to watch is baseball (it can be a pretty psychological game), and my favourite sports anime series are Oofuri, Haikyuu and Stars Align.

I think sports anime have the opportunity to either use real world games that force characters together and to have to get along for reality grounded interpersonal drama (yeah!! Oofuri, Stars Align... what Battery tried to do... almost all of Adachi's 50 baseball romances lmfao) or make something that is kind of mundane practically sci-fi and magical (Kuroko no Basuke, Inazuma Eleven, Prince of Tennis) and although I prefer the more grounded drama version of sports, both are fun and some stories are a bit of somewhere in between. Also some of it, including some of the above, is very aware of the amount of people who ship the teammates in sports anime and I can't help but enjoy how it tends to cater to close interpersonal relationship development as a result :p

I do love my sports.

Sports anime are good. I don't care about real sports at all, but I'll watch them in anime form. But not for the sport itself, I'm only there for the characters.

It's complete coincidence 2 of my fave series are sports anime, I swear...
Realised I said 2 of my fave series. I meant to say 3. It was a typo on my part, but it's even more of a coincidence that 3 of them are sports anime...

Yuri!!! on ICE is a gay romance told through ice skating, Free! is homoerotic friendship drama with swimming thrown in, and Kuroko no Basket is a bunch of idiot teenagers playing DBZ-level basketball. It's all good stuff.

I’m not very into sports anime, dunno they kind of bore me a bit. I know that sounds weird since they are so high energy but I usually don’t find myself motivated to watch more of it. Don’t get me wrong though, I love sports anime music and I understand why people would like sports anime, it’s just not something I feel motivated to see more of when I start watching one. The only sports anime I’m interested in trying out sometime is Hajime No Ippo but even then I don’t know if I will ever finish it. A lot of sports anime kind of has a routine like: a guy who wants something, the bigger guy who challenges him, they don’t get along, and then learn to get along, and then the rest of the team is wacky dudes who are still lovable, and etc. It just feels boring and routine. I know there are sports anime that aren’t like that but they never caught my interest much either.

Sports anime tend to be hit or miss with me. I love Haikyuu and Yuri on Ice (duh), Free was also great in its day (although I'm not sure I would have liked it so much now). And then there's Kuroko, which I downright hated, the badminton anime gave me PTSD, Prince of Stride was boring as hell (don't know how I even managed to finish that one), so was Yowamushi, and Harukana Recieve was just butts and tits.

I do plan to watch the new girls baseball anime this season. I don't have my hopes up, but it looks like it could be better than the Hanebanado trainwreck.

Thank you so much for all the responses! ❤️❤️ I never knew so much of you actually watch sports anime . Usually sports anime is usually grouped together with mecha anime ( meaning most people I’ve asked what’s there least favorite anime they either say mecha/sports but I’d say my least favorite is Romance or anything with IDOL in it lol)

So here comes my second question ;

What’s your least favorite genre ? We all have a genre that we tend to drift to without even realizing

—-

In my 13 years of watching anime I’ve come to realize my ALL TIME picks of an anime opening/ ending would have to be

Penguin Drums First Opening & Black Blood Brothers Ending ( I think it was in Korean. I’m not sure ) but I’ve finally realized this after so many years of watching anime’s the songs I tend to come back to is those two . I was obsessed with D-Gray Mans Op1 for a minute and also NANA’s OP2 as well . ❤️
—-
All these people talking about sports anime and not talking about Ace wo Nerae, shame on you.

Does Utena count as a sports anime? It's basically just fencing.
I think fencings a sport so you can count that one in ( although I haven’t seen it before I’ll take a look! )

DAT: finished my 30 minute run to shed some baby weight off of me . And I’m feeling motivated then ever so I guess the question is ;

do you guys like watching sports anime ? ( if yes , what’s your favorite sport to watch? ( anime wise ) if no , what’s the reason)

I guess I kind of like the running anime’s they make me feel very motivated and usually the story line is good
My sensei @Franconator already burst in to spread the good word of Slam Dunk! which is perfect in every way.

I would imagine the popular choice to be Haikyuu, and it's honestly wonderful. The perfect balance of hope and despair, but juuuust enough despair that you know it'll build to hope.

I'm also a fan of non-sport sports anime, shows that arent sports, but are really built to resemble (or parody) them. Things like Fastest Finger First, which is competitive Quiz Bowl anime, but it plays like a Sports anime. Also, Food Wars is a cooking show, so not at all a sports anime, but damn it all if the training, obtaining new skills, dueling, teams, and redemption arent integral parts of the show.

I'd also like to toss Chihayafuru into the ring. It perfectly balances making the sport interesting, while also making the relationships between characters equally so. It's lovely.

Thank you so much for all the responses! ❤️❤️ I never knew so much of you actually watch sports anime . Usually sports anime is usually grouped together with mecha anime ( meaning most people I’ve asked what’s there least favorite anime they either say mecha/sports but I’d say my least favorite is Romance or anything with IDOL in it lol)

What’s your least favorite genre ? We all have a genre that we tend to drift to without even realizing
Romance. Specifically, I'm not a big fan of love triangles.

If I'm being bluntly serious, then harem. I'm pretty open minded these days to all genres and Keijo was a gold mine as a funny ecchi example, except harem. I just don't see a fucking point man, in a genre that enforces wuss MCs that don't pick anyone and indecisive teasing so it doesn't piss any of the shippers off. I'd have more respect if the MCs just said fuck it, and went the poly route, but they never really do that.

a genre that enforces wuss MCs that don't pick anyone and indecisive teasing so it doesn't piss any of the shippers off. I'd have more respect if the MCs just said fuck it, and went the poly route, but they never really do that.

I don't really mind harem as much as you do, but what pisses me off about the genre is, like you said, the MC is usually a wuss. I'd understand if you had the anime equivalent of Bruce Wayne - yeah, I'd like a billionaire sugar daddy, too. Not gonna lie.

But instead you just get "Hi I inherited my grandmother's potato farm on an isolated island off the coast of Japan and WOW - somehow all of the workers are beautiful young women around my age who have never seen a man before!" Or something along those lines. Cue the tsundere mocking the MC and getting into a slap fight with the side ho, fast forward a bit, and bam. Season done. It's so...uninspired.

Anyway, I'd have to say my least favorite genre is probably horror? Or maybe just anime that have excessively gratuitous amounts of gore. Don't get me wrong, I love violence and gunfights. Show me a dude getting his head blown off by a sniper rifle and I'm a happy man. That's part of the reason I liked Jormungand so much. But that one scene in Blood where the monsters put humans into a blender? Dude, I don't need to see that shit.

Anyway, I'd have to say my least favorite genre is probably horror? Or maybe just anime that have excessively gratuitous amounts of gore. Don't get me wrong, I love violence and gunfights. Show me a dude getting his head blown off by a sniper rifle and I'm a happy man. That's part of the reason I liked Jormungand so much. But that one scene in Blood where the monsters put humans into a blender? Dude, I don't need to see that shit.

Blood-C is the worst example I've seen of gore. It's just pure shock edgy fuel and so basic, I think gore can be pretty fun and done stylishly but Blood-C is one of the worst shows Production I.G has done in their lives.

God, I hate that show.

Back