Toilet-Bound Hanako-kun

I like this show because the art gives off such an incredible vibe and the story is nice enough imo.
I feel it's the type of show I can have on in the background while doing something (still paying attention because of subtitles) but also the type of show I can enjoy actually paying attention to.
I wish it was all out now tho so I could binge it instead of one ep per week. Sure I could wait with it until it is all out, but I feel like if I hop off the story now then it will probs take a looong while until I get back to it again.

Ep 4
Never thought I’d want a pompous exorcist plushie until now

It’s youkai stuff and a female protagonist so of course I love it. Also, IMO shoujos (and shoujos in all but name) are the most heartwarming so I looooove them

A story about a girl, who falls for every other guy she meets, with "male harem", containing of a blond and dark haired guys, competing with each other, is a shounen. Ok.
Yes, because shounen is a demographic category dependent on the magazine something runs in, and a VERY VERY broad category with many different types of stories even if some are tropier, and even if people think of default Shounen Jump titles and their tropes when it's brought up.

also, im just going to mention it because it's funny to me, I MEAN. technically we had a shounen just last season with ' a story about a girl who falls for every other guy she meets'
Beastars-05-36.jpg

with a 'male harem' containing a light haired and dark haired guy, competing with one another
84515f99fa39c543be125b6aebad55651565139652_full.jpg

it was called beastars
(and also being pretty homoerotic with one another too, but u know)

Last edited:
You see what you want to see. But yeah given that the author was female, it makes sense that Beastars feels more like a shoujo.
Likewise you don't see what you don't want to see :p

I think a lot of people were struck with homoeroticism in beastars regardless of if they wanted to see it, judging by complaints

but the hanako discussion isn't the place for me to write my essay on homoerotic furries

I don't. And I'm glad I don't :pokerface:.
:/ I'm glad I do. Damn it's hard being so enlightened

Anyway, shounen to me was always "for young boys", not "it was serialized in Jump". If you look up its definition it says the same thing.
That's what I said. It's a demographic genre. Being for young boys means a lot of things.

It might even be in a manga for young boys because it's a horror story, and supernatural stories with horror are seen as 'young boy' things and not 'young girl' things. It might be seen as more marketable TO the readers of this particular shounen manga - it's not like shounen never caters to female fans because it's aware of its female demographics. It's complex because while it IS a demographic genre, the different magazines are often aware they have different readers. And certain kinds of female fans are going to prefer 'shounen-type' stories, despite there being no clear definition.

So you'll see shounen/shoujo/etc are honestly kind of nebulous terms and become foggier the more you think about it.

It's in a shounen magazine = shounen. There's absolutely no other way to qualify those genres because they have no meaningful qualities that group them together beyond being in these magazines.

It's in a shounen magazine = shounen. There's absolutely no other way to qualify those genres because they have no meaningful qualities that group them together beyond being in these magazines.
Dunno about that. There aren't a lot of reverse harem stories in shounen magazines. Likewise there aren't a ton of battle action centric stories like naruto in shoujo magazines. They can be differentiated by the type of content they generally deliver. They're aimed at different genders for a reason.

Back