In/Spectre

So I know I am super early for discussing this anime, but I had the opportunity to watch the world premiere for the first episode of this anime and all I have to say is I really enjoyed it. Can't wait until it starts airing so I can find out more about what happens. It seems really good especially with the plot and stellar voice acting.

It went up on some chinese streaming service, it even has english subs, but from what I can tell
there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it production wise, so I doubt Brain Base dropped this baby on it's head. Still going to wait for the official english release though, as much as I want to see this cutie in action. They didn't cut down on the loads of dialogue either, which may prove to be a problem as an anime given how much of a wordy novel/manga this is.

Last edited:
1l9YgXt.jpg

Yeah I think I'll need to make a folder for just Kotoko at some point. I quite liked this first episode, to the point where I didn't mind the fact half the episode was spent the two leads shooting the shit. Dude should really just get freaky with the cute one-eyed amputee, pretty sure 17 is legal in Japan anyway.

Having your leg chopped off and eye removed for the privilege of being nagged by monsters doesn't seem like a fair trade to me, but she seems to have made the most of her situation. Having a plastic leg won't stop her from running up stairs while flailing a fire extinguisher.

And she fell in love with the dude because he reminded her of goats. How amusing.

Last edited:
2:

I can't help but wonder how much of this information she's spouting is stuff from her yokai information network and how much is her just weaving bullshit to satisfy a gullible snake monster. I'd bet most, if not all of it is the latter.

I do wish they could've had this story end in just this episode, having all the lead up but cutting off the pay-off feels a bit wrong.

This feels like Monogatari with less fan service if the Crab-chick was the MC instead of Araragi.

2:

I can't help but wonder how much of this information she's spouting is stuff from her yokai information network and how much is her just weaving bullshit to satisfy a gullible snake monster. I'd bet most, if not all of it is the latter.

I do wish they could've had this story end in just this episode, having all the lead up but cutting off the pay-off feels a bit wrong.

This feels like Monogatari with less fan service if the Crab-chick was the MC instead of Araragi.

Episode 2, thoughts...

I think there is a little bit more to solve regarding this issue so I don't really mind another half an episode to conclude the story and another half an episode of banter between Kuro and Kotoko. If they would have tried to throw it all into 1 episode then there wouldn't be any room for the funny banter.

You're right though, it's very Monogatari'ish in its dialogue but I wouldn't go as far in comparing it to Araragi and Senjougahara.

I feel she's accurate about everything due to her yokai network but I get the feeling she likes to see others come to a similar conclusion. She's the anime version of Columbo, 10 minutes into the episode he would already know what the issues were and then just played with his food for the remaining 20 minutes.

Still, a very interesting concept so far and I do like the interactions between these two cats. I do get the idea that Kuro already knew she'd stop by his house and that she'd be completely unprepared for a mountain trip so he kind of baited her to stop by, hence the "How did you find this jacket so quickly?".

Last edited:
Episode 2, thoughts...

I feel she's accurate about everything due to her yokai network but I get the feeling she likes to see others come to a similar conclusion. She's the anime version of Columbo, 10 minutes into the episode he would already know what the issues were and then just played with his food for the remaining 20 minutes.
The series Japanese title, "Kyokou Suiri" literally translates to "Invented Inference" so you'll have to excuse me for not taking her at her word. It's not like the snake yokai is planning to leave and confirm everything she said anyway and I think most of its trust comes from her status as a god of wisdom and the confidence behind her words.

The series Japanese title, "Kyokou Suiri" literally translates to "Invented Inference" so you'll have to excuse me for not taking her at her word. It's not like the snake yokai is planning to leave and confirm everything she said anyway and I think most of its trust comes from her status as a god of wisdom and the confidence behind her words.

I hope you're right, I'm just painting a picture for myself based on 2 episodes that we've been presented so far :p

So far it feels like we're going through a checklist of what-ifs where she's just making it all flow together and these are things that we, as a viewer, don't have any knowledge of what so ever. Not to mention, there is this thing that she does when somebody asks her a question, "I'm glad you asked!".

Last edited:
1-2

This is neat, it kinda reminds me of boogiepop wa warawanai from a while back, the remake. Good mystery elements and supernatural elements alike, pretty intriguing. Really wasn't expecting it to be this good so there was some of it I didn't pay enough attention to. I'll have to rewatch these episodes before really getting into the discussion on ep 3.

1-2

This is neat, it kinda reminds me of boogiepop wa warawanai from a while back, the remake. Good mystery elements and supernatural elements alike, pretty intriguing. Really wasn't expecting it to be this good so there was some of it I didn't pay enough attention to. I'll have to rewatch these episodes before really getting into the discussion on ep 3.

I dunno, E2 was basically a glorified Socratic dialogue with a murder that was less mystery and more narrated conjecture. I'm not a fan of how E1 ended on a meaningless cliffhanger only for a half-answer to be given in throwaway dialogue in E2, as well. It definitely looks good, yeah, and the characterizations are very fun, especially for the spectres, but from what I've seen so far, I doubt the actual plot will land with much impact if they keep going with telling rather than showing.

I've not seen the Monogatari franchise myself, but the interactions do remind me of Bunny Girl Senpai, which I've seen compared to that series.

This OP does not excite me.

Mermaid flesh?! What a coincidence with DTAB just watching that Mermaid Scar trash just 2 days ago!

Their "lover's quarrels" is the only good thing in this anime. Talk talk talking to a stupid snake for most of the episode was rather boring... and she's just making up these explanations.

Pretty disappointing after what was a very good first episode.

Reactions: Vuh
Back