Pet

This isn't nearly as gay or Skirt Rapist as I thought it would be but it's like everybody has that Tsukishima fellow in Bleach, altering memories with a cut of his blade, but with mind powers. Hoping it deals in a lot of the underground scene instead of just being a character drama that swaps focuses between the various Pets. Have some hopes for this being good.

Episode 1:

Well, that's probably going to be the worst OP this season. The singer sounds like someone stomped his nards into paste.

I'm not sure what to make of the episode. It wasn't bad, but there was a lot of bizarre stuff thrown in. I'm not really sure what to make of the one psychic dude just randomly starting to suck on the other's nipple. They could have just been messing with the dread guy and maybe feeding on his homophobia. There's not much meat to the story other than these two cleaning up some underworld mess.

The opening of the episode was intriguing. The art was kind of ugly, but the representation of the boy's inner world. Hopefully, the show will get into more of that.

Anime lottery, here we go!
Ep 1
When the OP came up I was like wtf. I disliked the voice sm, ahhhh. Even though I feel that eventually, I'll like it because I know myself.
My feelings are pretty mixed at this one. At first, I disliked it, then I kinda liked it, then I got confused and then I got confused some more. I'll definitely have to wait at least a week to form my opinion on this one.
I definitely don't want to see more of that kid's mother being torn up, tho-

Episode 1
I wanna see more of the dude we saw in the beginning. He seemed cool. It was also completely different from what I thought the power was going to be. Well, not the power itself, but how they use it. I am interested to see more, even though after watching the first episode, I am QUITE confused.
I mostly understood everything to a certain point where I didn't feel that confused, and then that dude was ok and cheery and im like wu- wha- nani?

PS. Usually, I watch the intro and outro on the first and last episode of a show (unless its fakkin awesome or changes midway) I sometimes skip, but that is quite rare on the first/last episode.
I. Just. Had. To. Skip. This. OP.
What even was that? hEllo??

Episode 1:

This is a good first episode! It was a little confusing at first when they moved on from the kid's story to the blonde guy's, but it kept me interested! I can't wait to see what the "crushers" will do.

I - The cwushers

What the hell. Is this.
First of all, the description of people just sitting around watching anime being dead inside and wanting to smack their head on things is completely... er COMPLETELY and totally unrealistic.

*dabs forehead with moist towelette*

Second of all, as opposed to ID:Invaded starting off right in the weirdness in a good way, this one does it in a super off-putting way that I don't like, thus making me less likely to care about the rest of it. It doesn't help that the art is absolute garbage. Geno Studio just does not make things that look good I guess. It's against their religion.

They sure make good openings though. The voice is just, you know, tokyo ghoul guy, but the visuals... oof. Edgy, but cool. Unlike the show itself.

Yeah it's gonna be hard to pay attention to this one. Nothing about the presentation is grabbing me in the least. The pacing's all over the place, the story has AD/HD, the soundtrack is garbo... sorry to say but this ain't great. the slow motion scene with the cigarette was kinda neat i guess... it's hard to find good things to say.

"This dew reminds me of school girls sweaty gym socks"?

Stop.

With all due respect, my opinion is that Pet did everything ID:Invaders wrong right. ID:Invaders' presentation was offputting unlike Pet.
ID:Invaders presentation was competent. This one piddles and paddles along like it's slowly regurgitating the plot rather than actually telling it, I never once felt like the directing or scene composition was fueled by any sort of passion for itself whatsoever. It's one of those "going through the motions"-feeling shows, and it looks drab as sandpaper. Meanwhile Invaders has a sleek, unique style, it's shiny but not too overly shiny. It tells its plot with conviction, every story beat serving to elevate the tension, explaining things as if it were new, because it IS new in the world, and interesting enough for the audience to want to know how it works.

This show could learn a lot from Invaders. Its premise is interesting enough but this execution has no grab. Every time something happens it feels so ho-hum. I just don't feel the same way at all.

I'm definitely excited to see where this goes! I love how they did the hallucinations~ I really thought I was losing my goddamn mind so it was very visually effective :3
I've been waiting since it was suppose to come out last season so it better be good XD

With all due respect, my opinion is that Pet did everything ID:Invaders wrong right. ID:Invaders' presentation was offputting unlike Pet.
fdd.jpg

I'm totally allowed to say this, despite not having watched this show at all.

"This dew reminds me of school girls sweaty gym socks"?
Stop.

It's weird ass lines like this that's going to tempt me into watching this crap.

It's weird ass lines like this that's going to tempt me into watching this crap.

The show has a couple of them, but that one was particularly funny.

As for the way this show presented itself vs Invaded, I think both have their merit. I find ID more compelling because the premise is more interesting to me. This show isn't looking to explain itself completely right away. It's not big on explanations in general. There's enough information to piece together what happened this episode. The make it or break it with this show is if the psychic stuff is going to remain sketchy throughout or if it's going to flesh it out more. This being Geno that could go either way.

I went into this show with no expectations. The episode didn't impress me, but it didn't suck either. It could end up being decent entertainment like Onihei another Geno show. It probably won't blow me away though.

Edit: Apparently Onihei wasn't done by Geno. Ah well, I still appreciate Geno. They haven't made anything I really love, but they do try to make anime that appeal to a slightly older target crowd. I do appreciate that.

Ep1:
I rarely don't know after the first episode if it was good or will be good, but this is one of these cases. It presents an interesting premise and has potential for a good mystery.
Also the cinematography in how they present the mindfuckery is quite good, you'll never know when or what is reality and what is being manipulated or what are inserted thoughts. By leaving the visuals mostly grounded in reality they are able to achieve that well, it's not so on the nose like ID:Invaded, who try to make a spectacle out of it.

On the other hand, there is not enough information given to the viewer to create a mystery yet. Hell, I wasn't even sure which of these assholes were the protagonists until the very end.

I really hope this isn't pseudo-episodic with just different mind-crushing every time.

Also, what I had to think about:

Definitely a show where I'm going to have to wait and see to see how much I like it. This episode was a lot of set up, and I mostly feel neutral about it. Nothing stood out to me as particularly bad, and it has a lot of potential and room to grow. Time will tell if it actually does or just awkwardly goes nowhere.

Back