Gaming Discussion Thread

Tried to make some more progress in Luigi's Mansion 3 and I think it's safe to say I don't like this game that much. The controls feel awkward as hell (especially trying to aim the damn suction cup) and I really don't like the gooigi mechanic at all especially when it makes the camera zoom out and makes everything harder to see on my screen (when they're far apart from each other). The new mechanics in general are just a mixed bag, I like that they tried to do new things with it but I'm just not a fan of the execution.

Meh. Looks like this is another game I put back on my shelf and forget about.

Still haven't got back into Metal Gear Solid & Dragon Seeds yet, (but I will! *shakes wolf paw triumphantly*) but meanwhile, I'm interested in the Yakuza series. (Since I read a lot of people say they're great games.)

What would experienced players recommend a beginner that wants to get into the series, and/or which do you personally find the easiest for a beginner to learn? (Don't have a PS4 & am not sure if I want one or not, and don't have my PS3 hooked up yet, but I do have my PS2. I'm not really into online gaming, so would really prefer ones I could play on the systems I have.)

Vega is right, 0 is the way to go. It's arguably the best Yakuza so far with the most variety in fighting styles and two badass playable characters. The story is always great with these games and 0 doesn't hold anything back.

The PS2 Yakuzas are fine but imo the Kiwami remakes rendered them pretty much obsolete. Also, the first game on PS2 has an English dub...
Just got Dead Cells on the switch. Good goddamn, I haven't played a platformer this smooth and pretty since shovel knight. It even has that same personality. Though this will probably be my first Roguelike style game... I'm weady for a chawwenge.

67899.gif

Beautiful.

I also started Nioh, since it was free on PS+. Oh boy, this is gonna test me. You fight one guy, no problem. But when there's two guys at once it's almost like fighting two guys at once in real life. Can't do shit.

This is gonna hurt.

Still need to play Dead Cells myself. I love these 2D platformer/metroidvania animation wet dreams that come out these days.

Nioh is a bastard. Still haven't finished that game and the fights against some of the bosses like Nue were so stressful I still get PTSD from them. Think I'll just turn into a ninja the next time I play and throw bombs at everything.

I'd say start with Yakuza 0, it's a prequel and you don't need to play the other games first (this was the first one I played) If you have a PC that can run it you should be able to grab it on steam! (it's on that and ps4 with an xbox one release on the way)

Yakuza 1 and 2 were originally PS2 games but since they both have PS4 remakes and 3, 4, and 5 are coming to the PS4 in the future or are already out on there (I don't remember) along with newer games in the series being on that console I'd recommend getting a PS4 so it's easier to have them all in one place. It's a good console with quite a few other good games too! I haven't played Yakuza on PS2 all that much besides the first game a tiny bit, and from what I remember it was different in some ways compared to the others but I don't remember very well.
Vega is right, 0 is the way to go. It's arguably the best Yakuza so far with the most variety in fighting styles and two badass playable characters. The story is always great with these games and 0 doesn't hold anything back.

The PS2 Yakuzas are fine but imo the Kiwami remakes rendered them pretty much obsolete. Also, the first game on PS2 has an English dub...

Thanks guys. :)

I'll look into Yakuza 0, then! :D (And the PS2 ones.)

I've been off & on considering getting a PS4 since I'm really interested in the new Vampire: the Masquerade game for it, but have been on the fence since I know very little about the console itself. (I still haven't played with the PS3 I got a couple Christmas's ago lol.)

I'm one of those peeps who hates waiting for games to download for ages & miss the days where you could just pop in a game disc/cartridge & just start playing right away. (Call me old fashioned. :P )

I'm not really into PC/online gaming like I used to be, (not that I don't like it, but I just prefer console gaming, & the fact my laptop is getting to be a dinosaur) but I'll keep that in mind for future reference. :)

Thanks guys. :)

I'll look into Yakuza 0, then! :D (And the PS2 ones.)

I've been off & on considering getting a PS4 since I'm really interested in the new Vampire: the Masquerade game for it, but have been on the fence since I know very little about the console itself. (I still haven't played with the PS3 I got a couple Christmas's ago lol.)

I'm one of those peeps who hates waiting for games to download for ages & miss the days where you could just pop in a game disc/cartridge & just start playing right away. (Call me old fashioned. :P )

I'm not really into PC/online gaming like I used to be, (not that I don't like it, but I just prefer console gaming, & the fact my laptop is getting to be a dinosaur) but I'll keep that in mind for future reference. :)
I'm very old fashioned too. I get physical games when I can but I also take advantage of digital sales when possible! The thing I hate the most is honestly day 1 patches that I have to wait what feels like forever to download just to play a game I just bought. xD If I remember right I think the Yakuza games have physical PS4 copies, I'm pretty sure I've seen copies of Yakuza 0/6/Kiwami and Kiwami 2 in stores.

PSN End of the Year sale -- I didn't see too much that I wanted but .hack//G.U. Last Recode is on sale and I'm considering snatching it up. I was hoping that Tokyo Ghoul:re [Call to Exist], Cat Quest 2, or Marvel's Spider-Man but alas.

Titanfall 2 is also free this month, and it's something else I'm considering grabbing.

I got Fire Emblem: Three Houses for my birthday and I'm enjoying it. I've never been big into JRPGs (except like, Pokemon, lol), but it's fun. I picked Blue Lions for my first playthrough as Dimitri seemed like the most interesting house leader to me.

Also, I'm laughing at the super anime character designs in a medieval Europe setting. Not that it matters at all, it's just amusing.

I re-installed Prey because I have no impulse control. It's not as exciting or spoopy the second time around, but it's fun trying alternate routes and already knowing some of the tricks and shortcuts.

Halo Reach on PC is pretty solid. Looks great (especially for a 10 year old game) and controls well, some of the bindings are a bit awkward (grenades mostly) but nothing awful. Only problem I had was getting it to open, if you're playing it through the Xbox app on PC you'll probably need to run the game as an administrator (can be done through the start menu).

So my refund for Rain World came in too late. Sale was over, so there was only one thing left I could afford. This game called Kind Words. Which is less a game, and more of an anon chatroom that you send positive vibes on.

I must give good advice, cause they keep sending me stickers when I answer them.

Teen Agent, it runs on some moon logic bullshit, like constantly interacting with the same thing 5 times to progress in the puzzle or figuring out that you need a twig to get a knife to cut a fence and you need a shovel to dig up a thing to give to the guard so you can get a grenade to attach to a rope to blow up a drawer. Old school adventure games, amirite? Reminds me of NiBiRu and using a rat with a stick of dynamite.

It's amusing though, so I'll stick with it.

Halo Reach on PC is pretty solid. Looks great (especially for a 10 year old game) and controls well, some of the bindings are a bit awkward (grenades mostly) but nothing awful. Only problem I had was getting it to open, if you're playing it through the Xbox app on PC you'll probably need to run the game as an administrator (can be done through the start menu).
Had zero issues with Steam version, seems like it's a great port and runs really well. Spent evening playing multiplayer with buds and it was great even tho I sucked lol.

I'm planing to start campaign today, should be fun.

Picked up a bunch of games with the Steam sale. I got all the Arkham games for practically nothing. I've been wanting to replay Arkham Asylum and Arkham City so it made sense, and I never finished Arkham Knight so I might as well give it a real chance. I also finally got Fallout 3 on PC cuz I never did get through all it's dlc, and even if Bethesda did some dumb shit in it, I still like it quite a bit. Still playing a lot of my anime/gundam Fallout 4 mod, but also started playing Arkham Asylum the night I got it, its only been a few days and I already beat the story and got all the collectibles lmao.

Also, I'm kinda thinking of buying a Steam controller? Does anyone think it's worth it?

Uhm... didn't those, like, just get discontinued?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/353370/Steam_Controller/
I mean, the whole low quantity thing, which honestly much like nintendo is horseshit just make more. I was intending to pick one up in the $5 sale cuz why not $5 is a worthwhile experiment but I did it too late cuz they were already out of stock. My comment was more like, in the future and not immediately right at this moment. And, if I'm not picking one up for $5, then I might as well get people's opinions on them if I want to consider full price.

Grabbed Kathy Rain on Steam during the recent sale. Pretty good, very authentic throwback to 90s point and click adventure games, I especially get a lot of Gabriel Knight vibes from it.

Reactions: Zed
Grabbed Kathy Rain on Steam during the recent sale. Pretty good, very authentic throwback to 90s point and click adventure games, I especially get a lot of Gabriel Knight vibes from it.
One of those "forever collecting dust in my library" games. I need to get around to playing it sometime.

Same. I never finished the game, the story didn't interest me at all. New Vegas is much better tbh. Maybe I'll get through it this time though.

Agreed. I played Fallout 3 when it first came out and enjoyed it well enough. Then New Vegas came out and it was better in every conceivable way. Massive props to Obsidian for accomplishing such a feat in an insanely short period of time.

Reactions: Zed
Hey what up I bought a fuckin Switch yesterday folks.

I love it so far. But the only game I've played (well I've played a lot of switch games....they were other peoples though) is the My Hero Academia game and that's fun but that's also not specifically a Switch game lol
If you like side scrolling beat em ups, try River City Girls, it's fun as all hell.

Back