New default user avatars

Not the exact picture from before, but...
Anime-Planet-Mascot-20140227.jpg

Anime-Planet has many default images that are used when we're missing content. For example, user avatars, default anime and manga covers, and more. As a follow-up to our new brand launch, we've been slowly designing new replacements for these default images that fit our style and theme.

Today we're announcing the first set of defaults: user avatars! Going along with the space theme that you see on the homepage, and our Planet-kun mascot, the avatars have a similar cosmic personality:

Simple, clearcut, colour options, nicely thematic and even manages to achieve "cute". Very good.

It was a much worse version of this, yes, with the old Anime-Planet 2.0 font that said "anime-planet".

Yeah, I had been wondering where the other one went.. Was kinda sad when it got changed, so I went and uploaded my own now.

I think its ironic my most favourite site (anime-planet) has one of my least favourite themes. Space! It looks childish. I think a Teru teru bōzu Mascot delivers more of an impact with its cutesy look and its dark history than our current Planet-kun mascot. He looks cute but forgettable.
Going along with the space theme that you see on the homepage, and our Planet-kun mascot, the avatars have a similar cosmic personality
- Sothis. V4.5 is not appealing to me at all when compared to V2 more matured theme albeit dated look. Just my two cents.

Would it be ok to recreate this image into the old default avatar for further use? Because I really, really liked it (as well as the old Anime-Planet look). Just wouldn't want to violate a copyright or something. Or if anyone's got the old default saved somewhere I'd use that.

Also was this a character from an anime/manga or was it drawn specifically as Anime-Planet mascot?

I'm not seeing anyone's default avatars in forums. For example in LilianaToreen's post all I see where an avatar should be is a white question mark on a grey background. Its like this on both Firefox and Chrome for me. Is this normal or is there something wrong on my end?

Back