Anime and manga info pages have an updated design

A few housekeeping notes:

1. If you have comments about the relations feature and your ideal "mark a franchise" feature, please read and reply in this thread instead. We'll read and reply to your feedback there - and things we've heard so far are summarized in that thread. We can then look into creating the sort of feature you're looking for somewhere on the site where it makes sense.

2. Rather than posting bugfixes here, we'll do so in this bug thread, so please subscribe to it if you'd like to see what gets fixed over the next week. We'll close it after that. If you find other bugs, please do not post them here, post them in the bug forum in a new thread.

Is it me or does the website feel oddly white? I'm not sure if anything ways changed in this regard recently. This is more of a 'modern website' pet peeve but making everything white feels like a hiarchy of vision wasn't even bothered with and everything is dumped onto the page. At least if the negative space was gray, that would be easier on the eyes.

I do agree the current top bar navigation is odd. In particular I would really like the "tags" to be included as currently I have to begin from either the ANime or manga page and it can be hard to find even then.

Also not discussed here, but I would prefer to hide or remove automated recommendations. I'm guessing that was because obscure series were neglected, but I prefer a human being when it comes to taste. For example, Cat Soup has some slice of life cat series recommended. Which is not what the manga is at all. Instead, maybe do some sort of badge/achievement to incentivise people to make recommendations on series that are lacking in them?

Thank you for the feedback, but none of these are related to this launch. If you have general site feedback please post each item in the suggestions/bug forum here

EDIT: Realised some of this should go in the other thread, whoops.

Also, a couple of other things that are more of a nitpick:
-Reviews and discussions should, imo, be in their own tab as sometimes those sections can contain spoilers if users aren't careful.
-Custom lists have been kinda buried down the bottom and will be missed as a feature.

I've always felt like characters and staff should be above recommendations and reviews, as I care more about the factual info than about what other users think of things, but I don't know if that's just me or not. I assume more people care about the reviews than I do, lol.

ANYWAY, I like the redesign on the whole, I really do. The content warnings being separate from regular tags is a very good things, as well as displaying VAs in the character info boxes. 99% of it is an improvement.

sothis and the designers and developers have been working really hard on this, so thank you for all the time and effort you've all put in! I feel bad that I even have anything negative to say, lol. I promise it's minor stuff and not enough to make me, like, not use the site or anything.

I'm curious why folks aren't using their personal anime lists more often to determine rating and status information?

I assume you mean the "My Anime" list? I guess I don't understand the question. What would that use case look like? Select "My Anime" then click "Watched" then click "S" then click "3" and then scroll down to see the SAO shows I've watched? I don't think I've ever done that. It gives no context for any SAO shows I may not have seen yet? What question would I be able to answer from there? I always have a browser tab open with my personal anime list, but it's always on "Watching" for updating the shows I'm currently watching. I don't usually use it for much else, unless I want to see something like my highest rated shows.

It just seems more natural to go to the show and look at the Related Anime section to see all of the shows listed together. From there I can see which of the shows I've already watched and what I rated them, but there are also reviews and things handy, if I want them. It all depends on the question I want to answer. If the question is "have I watched this show" or "am I caught up on this series" or "did I like this series", going to the show page gives me all the information I need, and is easier and more intuitive to use for that. (note that the other advantage is that the related shows are in chronological order, so you can see if you felt the show was getting better or worse over time. Getting that information from the personal anime list would be tedious) I can't think of many questions that I care about the answer to that are convenient to be answered from the personal anime list.

Maybe I'm just using it wrong. I don't know. How are you intending it to be used?

I assume you mean the "My Anime" list? I guess I don't understand the question. What would that use case look like? Select "My Anime" then click "Watched" then click "S" then click "3" and then scroll down to see the SAO shows I've watched? I don't think I've ever done that. It gives no context for any SAO shows I may not have seen yet? What question would I be able to answer from there? I always have a browser tab open with my personal anime list, but it's always on "Watching" for updating the shows I'm currently watching. I don't usually use it for much else, unless I want to see something like my highest rated shows.

It just seems more natural to go to the show and look at the Related Anime section to see all of the shows listed together. From there I can see which of the shows I've already watched and what I rated them, but there are also reviews and things handy, if I want them. It all depends on the question I want to answer. If the question is "have I watched this show" or "am I caught up on this series" or "did I like this series", going to the show page gives me all the information I need, and is easier and more intuitive to use for that. (note that the other advantage is that the related shows are in chronological order, so you can see if you felt the show was getting better or worse over time. Getting that information from the personal anime list would be tedious) I can't think of many questions that I care about the answer to that are convenient to be answered from the personal anime list.

Maybe I'm just using it wrong. I don't know. How are you intending it to be used?

Take a look at this and reply there please, going to collect data there for looking into this sort of feature: https://www.anime-planet.com/forum/...-anything-in-a-franchise-feature-here.335062/

i need marker on related anime is watched or not.
L9cjNp4.png

Sad about losing the ability to mark the status of stuff in related Anime. Used to be able to see what you had scored everything in a franchise or add a whole franchise to want to watch etc all from one place. The amount of steps added to that now is huge. A really useful section full of information for the user and easy access to edit status and the like has been removed with no replacement it seems.

I like the design but I can't lie that I'm quite disappointed about the loss of this feature as I used it all the time.

This, very much this. Not being able to check at a glance if you have them marked, or be able to change their status is an extremely bad change.
As far as i can see, changing the Related anime list to cards adds absolutely nothing, but removes several features and reduces information available.
If nothing else, this change alone will increase the amount of pages loaded from the server by a LOT, potentially risking causing performance issues, for absolutely no useful reason.

Aside from that, there's the right side which used to have a lot of useful stuff like forum links regarding the anime, i used those a fair bit. Oh wait, moved to the bottom?
I didn't even find that until specifically looking. *feels like old man grumbling*

The feeling i get is that the pages have been dumbed down and information/usefulness stripped.
Aside from the Related section, i have no idea whether that is true or not since i can't compare properly, but that's what it feels like.

Since the cards are too small to add the lost features to, do as what was done with the browser when changing to grid view and losing features the same way? Add a button to switch between table/list view and card view?

Full width (no right-hand column past a certain point)
Then why do i have about 1/7 of the width of the screen just white on each side now?
Absolutely not complaining, just very curious and wondering if i'm interpreting it wrong.

A greatly enhanced mobile experience and appearance
Please remember that not everyone uses mobiles to access.

Also, the infrequently-used feature to mark a series' status from the relations area has been removed for consistency with the design.

Infrequently? It's one of THE by far most used features! Not necessarily to CHANGE watching status, but to GET THE INFORMATION AT A GLANCE.

The aggregated Stalled and Won't [Watch/Read] stats have been removed from the entry pages. You can still mark these statuses, but the aggregated counts no longer appear. This was a purposeful decision, as these stats are mostly irrelevant to the wider community.

Why? No, they were not irrelevant. They were just as useful as the other numbers.

I'm curious why folks aren't using their personal anime lists more often to determine rating and status information?

Because it's faster using the browser's link memory to get back to each anime's page with just 4-5 keystrokes? Especially when typing that takes less than a second.
To be able to check for any changes in related animes at the same time?
To NOT have to search through your list to find the right one? Which can be quite a thing, depending on what you're trying to find. Using the top right search feature is also nearly always much faster.
The default grid view adds a lot of scrolling and an extra click(either to open the update view or switch to table view).

Would have liked to get a 'night mode' or something to change the background to other colours than white, but i can understand if that takes a low priority compared to other things A-P wants to implement :)

THAT, would be an excellent addition. Yes please. It gets very bright in the dark of the night. Yes, that was an intentional rhyme, i do it all the time.

Halex said:
Please bring back the Table View for the Related Anime & Manga.
The reviews look good, but too short to engage the reader.
The discussions look good, but they are forgotten all the way down the page, it was more exciting to read them in the sidebar to get a glimpse of what people said about the show. I wonder how many people will actually scroll so read them now.

Agreed.

The custom lists need to show more than just 2.

And they need to show more text. Also, the picture cards that are shown look weird, feels rather useless to have 1/4 of the cards just black, when that space could be used to increase the amount of text shown instead.

jtank said:
Agreed. I don't know why you guys hate tables and lists so much. Tables and lists are nice.
Especially when the tables and lists work better.

I guess it's just trendy to go for form over function nowadays. Except the cards doesn't improve form for the Related part anyway. Might be the "new=shiny good" syndrome.

Apologies for whatever of above technically ends up in the wrong thread.

Just here to say that I don't like new Related Anime Section(can't update watching, rating, how many eps), but I appreciate you guys running this site keep up the good work

https://www.statista.com/statistics/284202/mobile-phone-internet-user-penetration-worldwide/
Already the majority of world-wide Internet access is happening through mobile devices, with growing tendency. It's important to also optimize for mobile to stay competitive.

Infrequently? It's one of THE by far most used features! Not necessarily to CHANGE watching status, but to GET THE INFORMATION AT A GLANCE.
Why? No, they were not irrelevant. They were just as useful as the other numbers.
Remember, the developers and admins have actually hard data which features get used and which not.

Folks, we won't be reading or responding to anything about the related franchise/franchise marking in here anymore. As it says in the first post/in replies, please leave your personal scenarios/thoughts about your ideal franchise feature here: https://www.anime-planet.com/forum/threads/discuss-a-mark-anything-in-a-franchise-feature-here.335062/ - it's the only place we'll be reading to gather the feedback.

A few other small comments:

Then why do i have about 1/7 of the width of the screen just white on each side now?

"Full width" of the site container. It was around 2/3 to 1/3 split with columns before - now the content expands to the full 1200+ pixels wide (the width went up slightly). The white on the sides was there before and is still there now.

Quoting this previous post of mine for posterity:

+1. Quite a lot of research (analytics/where people click, UX research, long-term thinking, etc) goes into any decisions that are made. We certainly will pivot if needed. We ask that everyone keep in mind that there's an extremely small group of volunteers who work on A-P - we aren't owned by a big corporation with a ton of resources. We have to selectively choose what gets worked out, and there's usually a strong reason behind it. We do always keep the user experience in mind, always. It's why features sometimes take a very long time to release, because we try to make sure we get it right.

I hope everyone reading takes this to heart, and can trust that when we make a decision such as ensuring the mobile experience is first rate, it's done for a specific reason, driven by data, extensive research, or other factors. Of the 4 million unique users who used Anime-Planet last month, 70% used phone/tablet. 62% of that was phone-only. This is why in the past, and in the future, we take mobile/responsive development very seriously. It's not a whim or an oversight.

Love the new design and many of the improvements but regret to say that having discussions down at the bottom is a big disappointment for me. These often help me decide, along with reviews, whether I wanna give something a try. Having to scroll down, down, down, just discourages me from ever reading them. There is no link to them in the blue nav bar either so they have become virtually invisible on these pages. I also think there is a little too much spacing/white space between all the elements (on a laptop anyway; this may not be an issue on mobile devices). Nonetheless, kudos for all your hard work. I really appreciate it and you've done a great job, as usual. :)

What has happened to the functional system of old?!
When I'm looking to find my footing in Gintama, it filters it based on rating!? What?!!!
Before, I could easily look up which season I had yet to watch, because it was filtered based on year of release.
Now? It is a mess!

This is part of why I reside at this site. Easily digestible by a scroll.
Now, I was looking at where to go after Gintama 2015.
Turns out, the followup has two releases in 2017. Which one do I go for?
Search Wikipedia for a list of episodes with dates.
See the error?

Please fix this thing.

Last edited:
When I'm looking to find my footing in Gintama, it filters it based on rating!? What?!!!
Before, I could easily look up which season I had yet to watch, because it was filtered based on year of release.
Now? It is a mess!

See the error?

Please fix this thing.

You'll have to give more details as I'm not sure what this means. Relations are displayed exactly the same as before - by release date.

Sad about losing the ability to mark the status of stuff in related Anime. Used to be able to see what you had scored everything in a franchise or add a whole franchise to want to watch etc all from one place. The amount of steps added to that now is huge. A really useful section full of information for the user and easy access to edit status and the like has been removed with no replacement it seems.

I like the design but I can't lie that I'm quite disappointed about the loss of this feature as I used it all the time.

I feel the same way

Now? It is a mess!

See the error?

Please fix this thing.

are you talking about this? https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/all?name=gintama&sort=year&order=asc
cause it is in order by release

I am so excited you're going to separate the triggers and related mangas/animes! These changes look amazing, you guys do great work here and I don't even know how I could ever repay you for keeping such top quality content out here for us. and organizing it so well Seriously, thank you so much, this is like. Ridiculous amazing.
お疲れ様です!!!

Back