After School Dice Club

This sounds like shit but hold up, they're playing some German board game that @Schizm can tell us when it airs and other analogue, dice games and shit? This is my shit son. Like, board games and shit. This shit is gonna be fucking lit.

This sounds like shit but hold up, they're playing some German board game that @Schizm can tell us when it airs and other analogue, dice games and shit? This is my shit son. Like, board games and shit. This shit is gonna be fucking lit.

It has to be Mensch ärgere dich nicht, that's the most classic Eurogame I can think of or smth badass like Carcassonne. Call me once they start playing Kniffel (Yahtzee) cuz that's my jam.

It has to be Mensch ärgere dich nicht, that's the most classic Eurogame I can think of or smth badass like Carcassonne. Call me once they start playing Kniffel (Yahtzee) cuz that's my jam.

If y'all payin attention to my pants, you would see that Schizness talking about this German board game shit with German words is giving me a boner.

giphy.gif

I'm gonna keep an eye on this, and probably stalk this thread for the first couple weeks to see people's reactions. Based on the synopsis alone it could, optimistically, end up pulling an Asobi Asobase. Plus... you know, games.

I'm gonna keep an eye on this, and probably stalk this thread for the first couple weeks to see people's reactions. Based on the synopsis alone it could, optimistically, end up pulling an Asobi Asobase. Plus... you know, games.
I'll tell you my reaction ahead of time: Raging boners. And rambling, but with boners. This is gonna be like that shit with shogi and lolis, but with less lolis.

What?! This shit is out already?! Move bitches, move out de way!

Episode 1

Why do things like this always start with monologues on something about their problem that leads to a club to fix it? But also goes against it by being short and the friends arriving and shit.

OP reminds me of the usual cute girls doing cute stuff stuff.
Designs aren't too conventional, nice to look at and not outlandish.
The- holy shit the scenery, locale and building designs are tops son.
FUCK YEAH LOOK AT ALL THEM GAMES AND SHIT

Probably listening to German Heavy Death Metal.
Damn, shut down so hard the music stopped.

Best to get the backstory out of the way so it doesn't slow down the games.
Zany wacky music for some Benny Hill shenanigans.
Now this I never expected. This show has twists!
The volume in that hair, yowza!

Nothing like freeballing.

Guess you can't be board gaming erryday, but damn the housing son! This is so not like other series and I can't get over how wicked it is.
Just walking around is pretty wizard, getting lost and wandering around, discovering new places, but they're not even in the city.

Now I'm tearing up, she needs a hug or headpats.
FUCK YEAH SON HEADPATS THAT'S MY SHIT YO

wut
Oh shit, this was all a game? That's deep man.
Holy shit it IS a game! Most intellectual show of the season.
Is this seriously still Japan? This is some European shit. That pathway to the stairs, that's all Japan.

What kind of fascist oppression is that, not being able to- what? Shooting Bar? Is this Russia?
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FUCKING BLOCKUS AND CARCASSONE THIS IS SOME GANGSTA SHIT YO
THAT FUCKING GERMAN SHIT
GIANT BOARD GAMES GUY THAT SCARES LITTLE GIRLS DUDE IS AWESOME
He is a total pimp who goes to Hostess bars, and host bars in his gear for all the ladies love him

Colooooony
Lol rekt getting permission from authority so they know what you're doing

FUCK YEAH THEY DOING BOARD GAMES AND SHIT IN THE FIRST EPISODE
The fuck? Of course they're games.

DESCENT

German Board Game focus? You gotta admire that, putting a focus on a region.
Marrakesh? That is a board game, a real life board game! I AM SO BONERS RIGHT NOW
Wheelin' and dealin' the rug- INSTRUCTIONS AND RULES TO WIN I THOUGHT I WAS BONERS BUT I'M GOING UP LIKE THE EMPIRE STATE
Oh yeah baby, explain those rules!

NO MERCY
Manager is my favorite character so far, he spares no one, not even kids or school girls.
HHHNNNGGGGHHHH STRATEGY TALKS

giphy.gif

They play board games, explain rules and win conditions, strategy and so far it's board games that actually exist. I am immensely satisfied.

You, satisfied? With this? Who are you and what have you done with the real Thrawn?
You know that I love anime about board games and shit, and this one had German board games AND real German board games AND all these other boxes of other real games with actual gameplay and tactics/strategy/thinking moves ahead for mads gains instead of immediate gratification. That shit was tight, and the manager? He was willing to stomp those girls into the ground by not going easy. He offered no mercy. This wasn't like, some other shitty anime where they "play" without showing actual gameplay or thinking about their moves or- shit man, they explained this shit! They gave it life! And that was all I wanted: German Board Games. The girls were cute, they played the game, it satisfied all my requirements of it not being dog shit.

You know that I love anime about board games and shit, and this one had German board games AND real German board games AND all these other boxes of other real games with actual gameplay and tactics/strategy/thinking moves ahead for mads gains instead of immediate gratification. That shit was tight, and the manager? He was willing to stomp those girls into the ground by not going easy. He offered no mercy. This wasn't like, some other shitty anime where they "play" without showing actual gameplay or thinking about their moves or- shit man, they explained this shit! They gave it life! And that was all I wanted: German Board Games. The girls were cute, they played the game, it satisfied all my requirements of it not being dog shit.
We've found Thrawn's niche.

Episode 1:

This is cute. I don't expect it, but I'd love to see them get more into the design of some of these games and why they're considered fun, not just how to play them. For me, that would be truly, as @Thrawn would say, "boners."

Episode 1

This anime caught my eye from the get go, since I am an avid tabletop gamer and I was more than curious how deep they would go with the presentation of the European games. And whoa, they went to my pleasant surprise pretty far! They nailed the designs of the game boxes. Now, before all, I want to reiterate an important point that not all these games are German! Yes, the main tabletop festival is in Germany where the yearly awards for the best games are announced ("Spiel des Jahres", translated simply as "Game of the year" is something like an Oscar academy award for games), however there are many great game designers in all Europe. I am quite sad it had to be Liden films doing this anime, so my expectations were never high.

Before I talk about the anime itself, my gamer spirit has arisen and has to mention some of the games presented on the screen which I was fortunate enough to play and make a little ad about them!

Q6X3sbH.png

Scythe: One of the best strategic games I ever played and it is generaly highly praised. What is symbolic for great strategy games is the very low impact of chance. You really have to plan out what are you going to do in few steps forward and the game usually presents tons of options and routes which to take, each one of them. To predict the next moves of your opponent is very important too. Here you are a ruler of a near-future distopian clan/civilization after a slight apocalypse. Technology is advanced, so you have things like mechs, but with everything pretty destroyed and living in anarchy, you focus using them on agriculture and mining, but fights ensue soon! The game ends after someone reaches 6 different milestones (technological, supply wise, population, army, etc). 2 players can play, best is around 4-5, takes about 2-3 hours.

vAmUARj.png

Terraforming Mars: Yet another strategic game, this time you lead a corporation who tries to terraform our nearest planet so it is habitable: You raise the temperature, build seas, cities and fill the atmosphere with oxygen. You have a hexagonal plan of the planet and you take actions in turns by using cards (which, for the most part, are technological advances, machines, buildings) improving e.g. your biological development, production of energy/heat, raising money or you mine more supplies. About 90% of cards help you, but there is a slight number of cards which sabotage/slow down your competitor. Again, many options and ways of developing your board are present, but not that many as Scythe and thus I rate this game as in average in terms of complexity and more friendly. 2-5 players, 2 hours of play, I like it very much.

Dixit: This is a very fun party game which is generaly loved by a very wide sort of people, mainly age-wise since the main focus is creativity. All players are dealt a few cards with abstract/fantasy like motives/pictures which generaly don't make too much sense, however there are some themes depicted. Your aim is to call out a keyword/theme which is connected to your card, THOUGH your aim is to not make it that blatant! All other players then try to put secretly one of their cards which they think corresponds the called out theme and after that all the players guess which of those cards belongs to the calling out person. I highly recommend this as a family game, since it never dissapoints and is very easy to understand and doesn't take too much time to play. 2-6 players ideally, about 45 minutes of play time.

KbrzvJE.png

Codenames: Haha, I had to mention our little pride, since this is a Czech board game which won the 2016 Game of the Year award. The best games usually are the ones which have a simple concept, are pretty fast to play, are super fun and anyone can play it. Codenames is such game. Players split into 2 teams: Each team then will have 1 person giving out hints and the rest of the team has to guess. All players will have in front 25 (A 5x5 grid) pretty basic words/objects (car, doctor, sea, vampire etc). The 2 persons giving out hints will receive a random secret (only for them visible) diagram showing which words belong to what team. Their aim is to give out a one-word/connected words hint to their team connecting as much words as they can belonging to their team (let's say they have the "doctor" and "vampire" words, so something like "Van Hellsing" could be a good hint) and the guessing persons have to point them out. Teams take turns and who first connects all words wins. Very fun, pretty quick (about 30-45 min), any age category. Ideally 4-8 players.

Now to the anime - well, it looks to me as a cute ad and a grab to present the board game environment, nothing less or more. I don't expect too much development, merely an exploration of other games which the little girls will try to play. However I am curious which games will apear and which they will try!

Though I have a big problem with one of those characters and surprise, surprise, it is the store manager!

1) Why the heck would you wear sunglasses in a store?
2) Why the heck would you wear an apron in a game store?
3) I assure you, the general look of board game geeks is nowehere near the muscular look of this guy!

Board game-wise excited (as you could guess), other than that bland inc.

Episode 1

This anime caught my eye from the get go, since I am an avid tabletop gamer and I was more than curious how deep they would go with the presentation of the European games. And whoa, they went to my pleasant surprise pretty far! They nailed the designs of the game boxes. Now, before all, I want to reiterate an important point that not all these games are German! Yes, the main tabletop festival is in Germany where the yearly awards for the best games are announced ("Spiel des Jahres", translated simply as "Game of the year" is something like an Oscar academy award for games), however there are many great game designers in all Europe. I am quite sad it had to be Liden films doing this anime, so my expectations were never high.

Before I talk about the anime itself, my gamer spirit has arisen and has to mention some of the games presented on the screen which I was fortunate enough to play and make a little ad about them!

Q6X3sbH.png

Scythe: One of the best strategic games I ever played and it is generaly highly praised. What is symbolic for great strategy games is the very low impact of chance. You really have to plan out what are you going to do in few steps forward and the game usually presents tons of options and routes which to take, each one of them. To predict the next moves of your opponent is very important too. Here you are a ruler of a near-future distopian clan/civilization after a slight apocalypse. Technology is advanced, so you have things like mechs, but with everything pretty destroyed and living in anarchy, you focus using them on agriculture and mining, but fights ensue soon! The game ends after someone reaches 6 different milestones (technological, supply wise, population, army, etc). 2 players can play, best is around 4-5, takes about 2-3 hours.

vAmUARj.png

Terraforming Mars: Yet another strategic game, this time you lead a corporation who tries to terraform our nearest planet so it is habitable: You raise the temperature, build seas, cities and fill the atmosphere with oxygen. You have a hexagonal plan of the planet and you take actions in turns by using cards (which, for the most part, are technological advances, machines, buildings) improving e.g. your biological development, production of energy/heat, raising money or you mine more supplies. About 90% of cards help you, but there is a slight number of cards which sabotage/slow down your competitor. Again, many options and ways of developing your board are present, but not that many as Scythe and thus I rate this game as in average in terms of complexity and more friendly. 2-5 players, 2 hours of play, I like it very much.

Dixit: This is a very fun party game which is generaly loved by a very wide sort of people, mainly age-wise since the main focus is creativity. All players are dealt a few cards with abstract/fantasy like motives/pictures which generaly don't make too much sense, however there are some themes depicted. Your aim is to call out a keyword/theme which is connected to your card, THOUGH your aim is to not make it that blatant! All other players then try to put secretly one of their cards which they think corresponds the called out theme and after that all the players guess which of those cards belongs to the calling out person. I highly recommend this as a family game, since it never dissapoints and is very easy to understand and doesn't take too much time to play. 2-6 players ideally, about 45 minutes of play time.

KbrzvJE.png

Codenames: Haha, I had to mention our little pride, since this is a Czech board game which won the 2016 Game of the Year award. The best games usually are the ones which have a simple concept, are pretty fast to play, are super fun and anyone can play it. Codenames is such game. Players split into 2 teams: Each team then will have 1 person giving out hints and the rest of the team has to guess. All players will have in front 25 (A 5x5 grid) pretty basic words/objects (car, doctor, sea, vampire etc). The 2 persons giving out hints will receive a random secret (only for them visible) diagram showing which words belong to what team. Their aim is to give out a one-word/connected words hint to their team connecting as much words as they can belonging to their team (let's say they have the "doctor" and "vampire" words, so something like "Van Hellsing" could be a good hint) and the guessing persons have to point them out. Teams take turns and who first connects all words wins. Very fun, pretty quick (about 30-45 min), any age category. Ideally 4-8 players.

Now to the anime - well, it looks to me as a cute ad and a grab to present the board game environment, nothing less or more. I don't expect too much development, merely an exploration of other games which the little girls will try to play. However I am curious which games will apear and which they will try!

Though I have a big problem with one of those characters and surprise, surprise, it is the store manager!

1) Why the heck would you wear sunglasses in a store?
2) Why the heck would you wear an apron in a game store?
3) I assure you, the general look of board game geeks is nowehere near the muscular look of this guy!

Board game-wise excited (as you could guess), other than that bland inc.

I'll quickly sum up my thoughts of this post:
tenor.gif

Episode 2.
...Please, never bring this obnoxious tool back. Guy made this episode a misery. I'm here for cute girls playing board games, not a loudmouth twit horning after Aya all episode.

Episode 3.
Well, the guest players weren't annoying this time...the annoyance was saved for that insultingly cliche backstory drama. Cliche and predictable to boot. Saw her being the bully stopper coming a mile away.

Back