Azur Lane

I used to play this A LOT, so as a former player, this is a need to watch. xddd
I'm ready to see my dear Akagi once again.
Edit: I started playing AL again-

Last edited:
So it's basically just Kancolle again. The premise and the aesthetic is literally the exact same.
This doesn't look as good overall as Kancolle did, having that really cheap look to it, but there is a noticeable difference in the CG shots having had some more years of advancement it seems.
These waifu franchises not only have internal waifu wars, but now cross-franchise waifu wars where there's two different characters for each name since everyone is named after WW2 warships.

Oh shit, this is actually this studio's first TV anime.

As someone who's been playing AL for over a year now I'm quite positively surprised. For a studio's very first anime this is looking pretty good. The opening and ending sound nice and the voices were instantly recognizable (why shouldn't they though). Not only because they are obviously the same voice actresses as in the game but also their characters are portrayed and acted out like you would've imagined them. I was also fearing bad CGI after the PV but everything is looking good on that side as well. I can't say much about the story though. I'm still pretty influenced from the game and seeing my waifus fight each other is something I have to get used to first. That we have actual ships transforming into the gear is a cool addition, too. I would like to see ship models in-game in the future. The only thing I don't really know what to think about is U-chan being a real unicorn and the CGI used for the fighting scene. I'm excited about future episodes. Maybe I'll have to get rid of my fan boyishness because I think my opinion is still very biased.

Everybody is a loli or a kitsune (or Esdeath). That's not a god damn army, those are stupid kids. Also not a single man, which is pretty disturbing. Bad characters, very basic story, weak graphical elements and cheap tricks (yes, I mean that Plane Riding Scene, when you sit on the planes window, so the pilot maneuvers through a field of shit, without sight). Don't like it at all.
The only plus point is the Fallout reference at the start.
I give it one more episode, then I probably drop it.

Fun first episode, as a fan of AL (and Kancolle to a lesser extent anymore) I'm sold on it, not sure if I'd like it nearly as much if I wasn't already a fan of the property though. I do hope the series focuses less on action and more on characters and SoL, more like the Kancolle anime. Also yea, AL is completely the same premise as Kancolle, but if I recall Kancolle wasn't an entirely new premise in itself. AL does improve a fair bit on it though in various ways like easier entry into the game or more active gameplay for those who like that. Not to mention that AL's character design has much more variety which might help this anime stand out a little from it's predecessor a little.

Been playing the game for awhile now, and when I heard there was an anime coming up, I didn't really expect much. I went in with low expectations, but I thought it was pretty good. Kaga having the giant demon fox thing was pretty cool, and seeing all the ship girls together was nice. I never got into Kancolle, and I didn't really care for the anime, but I'm into this one.

Up front, I went into this with lowered expectations. I never played the mobage (I don't play mobage in general). I disliked KanColle, because Arpeggio did it better and KanColle went the cringe-worthy WW2 route while also having generally worse characters. Strike Witches and even Sky Girls are better mecha musume.

And then literally the first line of dialog is a Fallout reference. Wait. Wat?

The rest of the show came across as a kind of mix between Arpeggio and KanColle--those Siren ships, when in ship form, are straight out of the Fleet of Fog, I tell you--but unfortunately looks to be leaning more toward KanColle. Too bad. Ayanami > Bucky tho. Also Unicorn adorable.

I'll give it a couple more eps I guess.

i just have to say that the animation is pretty good. I don´t know much about the game because i´ve nerver played it before (i´ll give it a try later), but the argument is soo absurd that it´s fun... i´ll watch this anime a couple of episode more and try to not drop it.

Either it will be awesome like Ars Nova, or garbage like Kantai... let's find out.
6min in... this is awful, lol

This lost kid thing, nope... (skips ahead to the action)...

... totally believable... well, at least it's flashy... but any anime can have "ok" action... there's just no way I can put up with the rest of it.
I got my answer.
1.0/5
dropped
As a lover of girly action anime, I am very disappointed.

Last edited:
While some are saying that it is a Kancolle ripoff, in a way it is, if you are really paying attention, unlike Kancolle it is not sweeping Japanese WWII history under the rug. This show is the Eagle Union (USA) and Royal Navy (British) VS. The Sakura Empire (Japan) and Iron Blood (Germany). With the Axis powers being the bad guys. This is the exact opposite of what Kancolle did, by having the Alien ships appear as though they are the U.S fleet.
So far it is loosely following the actual history of WWII starting with the attack on Pearl Harbor. And I do mean lossely. With the ships sustaining damage similar to their real life counterparts. It looks like they are pulling from multiple battles to make one battle for the show. Also, It looks like they are pulling from both the Atlantic and Pacific Navel Theaters. I just hope they actually sink the ships in the oder that they were sunk in WWII.

Why would you come in just to say you don't like a show, no a franchise you have no attachment to? What were you expecting again? Or even watch it in the first place? I will never understand people that do this. As somebody that plays the game I'm enjoying this. Can't even believe people are comparing it to the Kancolle anime as that was entirely kuso.

Everybody is a loli or a kitsune (or Esdeath). That's not a god damn army, those are stupid kids. Also not a single man, which is pretty disturbing. Bad characters, very basic story, weak graphical elements and cheap tricks (yes, I mean that Plane Riding Scene, when you sit on the planes window, so the pilot maneuvers through a field of shit, without sight). Don't like it at all.
Maybe you should stick to your furry isekai that hack Konosuba author made m8.

Last edited:
The reason for the all female cast is the fact that ships are referred to as being female. Thus the term sister ships referring to two or more ships of the same class. As to the the size and age of the girls/women comes down to the size, class and age of the ship. For example the Enterprise is older than the Hornet even though they are the same class and size. You don't need to have to show men to show the story and history of these ships that fought in World War II. This is the story of the ships. Yes, there are creative liberties taken, but we do that for the purpose of story telling.

Back