Large new batch of character tags: non-binary gender, elemental powers, waiters, and more!

Appreciate the non-binary tag. Was going to comment that more options on our profiles would be nice too, but I see 'Other' has been added since I last checked, so thanks for that as well! :P

[EDIT] Not for the forum profiles yet, mind. :P

Last edited:
I'm VERY glad you're not tagging the Houseki no Kuni characters as 'non-binary' because they certainly aren't (as they aren't human), and as you say, literally have no concept of gender (nor do they have concept of sex). Overall, good aditions.

nice addition, hope my suggestion of adding new statue "Up-to-date" reached you (it will be useful especially to manga/LN), it will be a nice addition.

The characters in Land of the Lustrous are not tagged non-binary because they are genderless.

They are now...?

[EDIT] And they're gone again, leaving this post looking stupid. Fire Emblem is gone as well, though... why?

Last edited:
Minor typo.

uofu67U.png

Is there a 'gullible'/innocent tag that goes along with certain MC or tsundere type characters? Out of curiosity.

There is an 'airhead' tag, that might work in some situations where the character is overly gullible.
(just check out the guidelines, and submit any characters you think need tags in the correct thread!)

Last edited:
First one seemed more of a comment on someone else's changes, second doesn't strike me as a 'bug', but will do~

Its not a 'bug', but by creating a thread, Sothis can see its something that needs to be 'done', and the request won't get forgotten/lost in here :)

On behalf of everyone else in this forum: Stop
Calling someone's sense of identity "gender stupidity" is hurtful, inconsiderate and not welcome on this site. If you continue to make comments like this, you will not be welcome here on Anime-Planet.

@PhantomAR not to mention it violates our Code of Conduct. Please take a look as it applies to everyone on the site, including moderators.

I have a question after browsing through the "Foxes" tag. Can a character be both a fox AND a kitsune?

We looked at the Kino situation quite a bit to make sure it applied, but based on the evidence, they deserve it.

-Kino corrects people who used both male and female pronouns for them. 'I'm not 'insert gender', I'm Kino'
-Scene where they try out using 'boku' to self-identify, and makes a comment it suits them better.
Both are casually said, so its not a surprise if you don't remember them.

Its basically as close as you can get without them literally saying 'hello, I'm non-binary' :p And since most people don't do that, especially in Japanese media, it takes evidence for us to use the tag, which is why we are using it very carefully and only with some sort of proof.

The issue with that is that Kino is saying "I'm not a gender, I'm a person." the same way someone might say "That boy over there." and I might respond "I'm not "that boy". My name is *name*." as simply being referred to that way may seem rude. Boku is also typically a masculine way to refer to oneself although some tomboyish female characters will use it as well. The use of the word dictates nothing regarding one's biology.

I'm VERY glad you're not tagging the Houseki no Kuni characters as 'non-binary' because they certainly aren't (as they aren't human), and as you say, literally have no concept of gender (nor do they have concept of sex). Overall, good aditions.

As an additional point, animals have genders, regardless of if the show sexualizes the characters or not. They also very much have concept of gender, otherwise they could not breed.

Non-Binary Gender

Non-binary individuals do not identify as exclusively male or female. They may identify as a third gender (known as X-gender in Japan), as having more than one gender, or no gender. Examples of non-binary identities include agender, genderfluid and bigender. These characters either explicitly or implicitly identify as non-binary. For more information see this Wikipedia article, and read about how we tag LBGT-related content on Anime-Planet.

Can't escape this nonsense anywhere these days eh. X-gender might've been okay, but appealing to all these silly labels? Into the trash AP goes

Back