Daily Manga Thoughts 2: The Return

Oh, right, legal day one releases are a thing now (as in, for years). I've forgotten about it since CrunchyRoll got neutered by Kodansha.
Yeh, but manga plus doesn't require a subscription or anything. You can read it through the app or in a familiar browser format just like if you were a degenerate pirate, for free. No signup or trial. The (quite cheap) subscription is for older chapters and other perks. It's pretty much the ideal format for online manga and does not gatekeep consumption and discussion of new chapters, so it makes me buttmad when lazy pirates abandon any pretense about the morality of customer convenience and elegant service.

The translation quality is also better, so time is the only edge pirates have, and it's only an edge by virtue of actual corporate theft since the chapters are released on a consistent weekly basis. You don't actually have to wait longer for each chapter.

Mangaplus does have one big negative point though: the image quality...

DMT: Tomo-chan is ending on the 14th of July and I can't wait for it to finally end. I used to really like it but now it's definitely going to become one of the many annoying romance manga that end when they finally get together...

...unless the author pulls a truck-kun on us, or decides to start a sequel of a slightly different genre (not impossible seeing his past works)

DMT: There's a new subscription service for bl manga that's just launched and while I like having another publisher around and I like that they scored two Haruko Kumota licenses bc I love her work, I just want to be able to hand over money once and receive a copy of a whole book that's mine and that I can read even if the service shuts down. Bah. Subscription services are great in a lot of ways and Renta's model with cheap manga rentals is nice for trashy stuff I know I won't want to keep, but I want to own things too! I don't even need my books to be print copies (nice if I can have the option though), but I want to be able to keep them in a format that's gonna stay accessible.

Don't you just hate it when a manga sequel has a much shittier art style? Fucking hell, I was all psyched for Last Order, but it just looks so bad in comparison.

Well it could always be worse, like battle royale's sequel:

battle-royale-ii-blitz-royale-2472.jpg

*loud coughing in the distance*

Mangaplus does have one big negative point though: the image quality...

DMT: Tomo-chan is ending on the 14th of July and I can't wait for it to finally end. I used to really like it but now it's definitely going to become one of the many annoying romance manga that end when they finally get together...

...unless the author pulls a truck-kun on us, or decides to start a sequel of a slightly different genre (not impossible seeing his past works)
E7ocafC.jpg

I could imagine he's gonna make a sequel series, tho. The current title would not really fit.

So, did anyone else bother reading all the way to the end of Mahou Shoujo Site's absurd wild ride?
I did.

It's going for a reset ending, which is something I hate in apocalyptic stories. I get that this was supposed to tie back in with Mahou Shoujo of the End, but I never finished that so the callbacks don't do anything other than spoil that series for me.

Last edited:
I did.

It's going for a reset ending, which is something I hate in apocalyptic stories. I get that this was supposed to tie back in with Mahou Shoujo of the End, but I never finished that so the callbacks don't do anything other than spoil that series for me.

Pretty much the same here, yeah. Even if I had finished that one, though, this probably would have sucked all the same.

The manga hit its stride when it stopped being an "Edgy Person of the Week" thing and sort of became an organized Girls vs Admins war. It was alright fun for a while and then whatever this was happened. Ah well.

DMT: Starting to really regret buying physical copies of manga.
Looks great on the shelf, but...starting to take up a lot of space.
I'm putting a hard stop on at least adding additional series so I only continue collecting what I currently have, but that won't help much considering My Hero Academia and Dr. Stone alone will probably continue racking up over the next few years.

DMT: Starting to really regret buying physical copies of manga.
Looks great on the shelf, but...starting to take up a lot of space.
I'm putting a hard stop on at least adding additional series so I only continue collecting what I currently have, but that won't help much considering My Hero Academia and Dr. Stone alone will probably continue racking up over the next few years.

I don't regret buying physical copies but I sure do think about how cranky I'm gonna be next time I move every time I have to shuffle books around to make room on shelves. I have a lot of digital manga too and every time I look at the full list of them, I imagine how much more space physical copies of those would take up... but I still want physical copies of some of them all the same bc I guess I just enjoy cursing as I drag my 14th box of books up a flight of stairs mid-move.

I don't regret buying physical copies but I sure do think about how cranky I'm gonna be next time I move every time I have to shuffle books around to make room on shelves. I have a lot of digital manga too and every time I look at the full list of them, I imagine how much more space physical copies of those would take up... but I still want physical copies of some of them all the same bc I guess I just enjoy cursing as I drag my 14th box of books up a flight of stairs mid-move.
I have a couple plastic tubs at my family's home that I have yet to bring to my new place, but lemme tell ya, they get heavy. I think one box can fit around 80-90 volumes and I have to push it or put it on a dolly.
In retrospect, choosing to finish buying the rest of Naruto was really what did me in. Luckily I'm not masochistic enough to take the plunge on One Piece.

I have a couple plastic tubs at my family's home that I have yet to bring to my new place, but lemme tell ya, they get heavy. I think one box can fit around 80-90 volumes and I have to push it or put it on a dolly.
In retrospect, choosing to finish buying the rest of Naruto was really what did me in. Luckily I'm not masochistic enough to take the plunge on One Piece.

I don't know where I could even put a really long series, esp something like One Piece, and that has definitely stopped me from picking up a couple of series, even though they're done and don't have a zillion vols still to come. Pretty much everything I'm collecting is under 20 vols and most of them are under 10, for which my bookcases are immensely grateful.

I don't know where I could even put a really long series, esp something like One Piece, and that has definitely stopped me from picking up a couple of series, even though they're done and don't have a zillion vols still to come. Pretty much everything I'm collecting is under 20 vols and most of them are under 10, for which my bookcases are immensely grateful.
^I wish I had waited until this came out, I think it's a neat idea. It's like a Kindle specifically for manga and it lets you swap in SD cards per series. Not sure how the pricing would work out exactly, but a much better way to keep the bookcases condensed. Could be a neat workaround for those long series if not all manga entirely.

^I wish I had waited until this came out, I think it's a neat idea. It's like a Kindle specifically for manga and it lets you swap in SD cards per series. Not sure how the pricing would work out exactly, but a much better way to keep the bookcases condensed. Could be a neat workaround for those long series if not all manga entirely.
... or you can just rip the DRM from your manga, put the .cbz files on an SD card, and put the SD card in a larger-sized Kobo e-reader. No need for weird new stuff when there already exists a solution

... or you can just rip the DRM from your manga, put the .cbz files on an SD card, and put the SD card in a larger-sized Kobo e-reader. No need for weird new stuff when there already exists a solution
That's fair enough. I'll admit I haven't used a Kindle or other e-readers and stuff, so I'd need to familiarize myself more with how that all works. Whatever reduces cost and space, the better.

Back