Music Discussion Thread

Ooooh man, that perfect (and apparently unintentional) dual guitar squeal from Robb and Phil around 0:58, their reaction and the resulting fist bump is the shit I love for. So goddamn awesome with the overall performance being great shit too and intense af. Robb really knows how to get a crowd going.

From all the metal live clips I've seen from Download over the years it looks like a really fun festival. Any of the UK people ever been there?

Ooooh man, that perfect (and apparently unintentional) dual guitar squeal from Robb and Phil around 0:58, their reaction and the resulting fist bump is the shit I love for. So goddamn awesome with the overall performance being great shit too and intense af. Robb really knows how to get a crowd going.

From all the metal live clips I've seen from Download over the years it looks like a really fun festival. Any of the UK people ever been there?

Holy shit... hellllll yahhh!

Everyone else in this thread: Hey man check out this awesome music that demonstrates my good taste, it's great and everyone will love it!

Me:

I uhhh...I hate the lyrics and the episode this was based on, but damn this is catchy as hell and I can't stop listening to it. I dunno why, but I'm afraid if I keep listening to this that I will eventually catch myself singing the damn song. Send help.

Everyone else in this thread: Hey man check out this awesome music that demonstrates my good taste, it's great and everyone will love it!

Me:

I uhhh...I hate the lyrics and the episode this was based on, but damn this is catchy as hell and I can't stop listening to it. I dunno why, but I'm afraid if I keep listening to this that I will eventually catch myself singing the damn song. Send help.

This song is amazing not because it's good, but because it twists this NiN song into a nearly unrecognizable sugary pop song.

To be honest I never was totally into the whole music scene too much growing up. Yes of coarse I'd had favorites singers and bands I enjoyed but I never was a huge fan like most people are with music now a days. After a while I stopped listening to anything then made my way back up to listening to some new things. I would say these artists are my current favorites for right now.

❦ TAEYEON
❦ AOA
❦ Mree
❦ Kiiara

I don't hate or dislike music it's just not my thing. However who knows maybe I'll get into it even more someday but for now little by little.

I'm super behind album releases at the moment, but I figured I'd drop some thoughts on the recent stuff bands have dropped recently.

Igor by Tyler the Creator: Probably the one I have the most complimentary things to say about. Branches way off from his typical rap/hip hop styling into genres he kinda toyed with on Flower Boy. Flower Boy was a huge surprise, sounding like nothing else he previously had done, but Igor fits well within the path Flower Boy set up. It's very good. My album of the year so far. 4.5/5

Dedicated by Carly Rae Jepsen: It sure is Carly Rae. It's fun. Catchy. It's ultimately the same pop song formula that CRJ has been using for a while. I mean, it's good, but it's not very original for her. 3/5

U.F.O.F by Big Thief: I did not expect this one to be so good! If you're not a fan of folk music you probably won't like it, but this is a really good indie folk album that has quite a few gems hidden away on it. Has a very other world-y feel to it at times. High recommend. 4/5

Rammstein's new self titled: It sure is Rammstein! Musically it's sound, albeit not as exciting as a lot of their releases. This one I feel largely is hindered by lyrics. Though the lead single Deutschland is really well done in it's wordplay, most of the album lacks that talented writing. I mean, the song "Sex" is just like.....ok? Rammstein has a habit of sexual, weird lyrics or playful jokes from such but Sex isn't even on the nose it's just....about sex. Maybe I'm being too harsh, but at least songs like Pussy had a comedic merit. And, the only time Till gives a memorable performance is Puppe, a song about a child watching his prostitute sister get murdered. Liebe ist fur alle da should have just been their endpoint I feel, this isn't bad, but it's not as good of a send off I feel. 3/5

7 by Lil Nas X: It's not amazing but it's fun. Much in the same vein as Carly Rae, this doesn't have to be musically brilliant, it just needed to be fun. 2.5/5

Death & Flamingos by Sopor Aeternus & The Ensemble of Shadows: It's nice to see Sopor putting out music more frequently tbh. This album is ok. It has that trademark depressed no one loves me fuck everyone actually i want to be fucked Sopor style. Her last two albums, Mitternacht (one of my all time favorite albums, if you're into ethereal wave/neoclassical darkwave, check it out) and Spiral Sacrifice, possessed the same musical styles, and that harpsichord loving shit can occasionally be heard on this album. But, this album has introduced some more rock elements and it really....doesn't bode well with her style. 2.5/5

Gold & Grey by Baroness: My favorite sludge band is back at it with another goody. Compared to their previous album, Purple, this one is much "louder" and probably a lot less pop friendly. Less sludge metal, more of a dark prog rock, even having some grungy styles reminiscent of Alice in Chains. A big recommendation if you're into hard rock or poppier sludge metal. 3.5/5

Hopefully I didn't bore you shits.

Rammstein's new self titled: It sure is Rammstein! Musically it's sound, albeit not as exciting as a lot of their releases. This one I feel largely is hindered by lyrics. Though the lead single Deutschland is really well done in it's wordplay, most of the album lacks that talented writing. I mean, the song "Sex" is just like.....ok? Rammstein has a habit of sexual, weird lyrics or playful jokes from such but Sex isn't even on the nose it's just....about sex. Maybe I'm being too harsh, but at least songs like Pussy had a comedic merit. And, the only time Till gives a memorable performance is Puppe, a song about a child watching his prostitute sister get murdered. Liebe ist fur alle da should have just been their endpoint I feel, this isn't bad, but it's not as good of a send off I feel. 3/5

Tbf they haven't really been that poignant or relevant since 2004's Reise, Reise. I think the last good song they wrote that had something to say was Mein Teil, a song about Armin Meiwes (the Rotenburg Cannibal), other than that they've been a bit too much on the satirical side of things and are mostly just fucking around. I haven't listened to the new album btw.

Tbf they haven't really been that poignant or relevant since 2004's Reise, Reise. I think the last good song they wrote that had something to say was Mein Teil, a song about Armin Meiwes (the Rotenburg Cannibal), other than that they've been a bit too much on the satirical side of things and are mostly just fucking around. I haven't listened to the new album btw.
I mean, no metal band had been "relevant" since the early 2000s. I'm surprised you chose Mein Teil tbh cuz imo that's not remotely the most impressive song on RR, lyrically or musically. And, tbh I think Leibe ist fur alle da is their best album and has their best song writing. Also my phone HATES me typing in German.

I mean, no metal band had been "relevant" since the early 2000s. I'm surprised you chose Mein Teil tbh cuz imo that's not remotely the most impressive song on RR, lyrically or musically. And, tbh I think Leibe ist fur alle da is their best album and has their best song writing. Also my phone HATES me typing in German.

Well yeah, take what I said with a grain of salt because I haven't been into Rammstein as much since Reise, Reise but I still liked songs like Haifisch, Waidmanns Heil and Wiener Blut (about Austrian monster Fritzl) on Liebe (Pussy was just dumb though and that was the one that received all the air play). Mein Teil was cool because the whole thing regarding Meiwes blew up everywhere in the country and they responded with the perfect song to it, just a brutal song and subject matter. Most Germans also don't really care about their lyricism, it's more considered to be "Tanzmetal" and all those controversies surrounding them (but that hasn't been the case since 2001's Mutter, still my favourite album by them for nostalgic reasons).

On Reise, Reise they certainly matured with the songwriting and I think it's a decent album. What did you think of Rosenrot? That's when I started to lose interest in them.

Metal is always relevant, the plebs just don't know it ;)

Well yeah, take what I said with a grain of salt because I haven't been into Rammstein as much since Reise, Reise but I still liked songs like Haifisch on Liebe (Pussy was just dumb though and that was the one that received all the air play). Mein Teil was cool because the whole thing regarding Meiwes blew up everywhere in the country and they responded with the perfect song to it, just a brutal song and subject matter. Most Germans also don't really care about their lyricism, it's more considered to be "Tanzmetal" and all those controversies surrounding them (but that hasn't been the case since 2001's Mutter, still my favourite album by them for nostalgic reasons).

On Reise, Reise they certainly matured with the songwriting and I think it's a decent album. What did you think of Rosenrot? That's when I started to lose interest in them.

Metal is always relevant, the plebs just don't know it ;)
I think Rosenrot is fine. They're Reise b-sides and that's obvious, not being able to carry the same torch of the predecessor.

The thing is, a lot of people do care about their lyrics. They're well known for their word play and approach to certain subjects. Like, they put a lot of work into their albums, especially into their lyrical content on average. Which is why the new album is such a surprise in its content. My comment on that isn't one of a kind, a lot of people are questioning the lyrical content of the new album, especially the songs Sex and Auslander.

I think Rosenrot is fine. They're Reise b-sides and that's obvious, not being able to carry the same torch of the predecessor.

The thing is, a lot of people do care about their lyrics. They're well known for their word play and approach to certain subjects. Like, they put a lot of work into their albums, especially into their lyrical content on average. Which is why the new album is such a surprise in its content. My comment on that isn't one of a kind, a lot of people are questioning the lyrical content of the new album, especially the songs Sex and Auslander.

Well, judging by the song names they're still into giving their two cents to topics concerning us and everyone. I'm not saying you're the only one, it's just not something I experienced when Rammstein was already hugely popular in my teens like except when they released Links 2 3 4 as a statement against the media brandishing them a nazi band because Till rolled his R's (yes, it was stupid like that) and their offensive stage shows.

Again, haven't been following them closely for quite a while so this is more on account of my own musical journey with them.

Igor by Tyler the Creator: Probably the one I have the most complimentary things to say about. Branches way off from his typical rap/hip hop styling into genres he kinda toyed with on Flower Boy. Flower Boy was a huge surprise, sounding like nothing else he previously had done, but Igor fits well within the path Flower Boy set up. It's very good. My album of the year so far. 4.5/5
I thought Igor had all the fun experimentation as Flower Boy, but carried a lot of the rougher emotion of some of his earlier works (talking tone, not sound). New Magic Wand, for example, has some of the heavier or darker undertones we'd expect from Goblin, but then EARFQUAKE has such strong Flower Boy vibes. He's doing a lot more in his musicality than "I'm a psycho and here's a homophobic slur" which really haunted his earlier shit. Although I've liked him since Goblin, it is definitely cool seeing his progress as a musician (and, seemingly, a human.)

Back