Neon Genesis Evangelion

From the bits I remember seeing originally, the anime seemed a lot more daunting and gritty. A couple decades of one-upmanship have taken some toll.

Last edited:
Does anyone who's watched the Netflix release know if they've removed any scenes or stuff like that? I'm already aware that they replaced Fly Me To the Moon for legal reasons and other differences between the old and new script, I'm specifically wondering if they removed or altered anything else.

I heard they toned down teh gay between Kaworu and Shinji.
I heard that as well, though it looks like only one line of dialogue was altered? I don't know if it was altered beyond that (haven't watched the netflix version myself and I've only seen people talk about the line of dialogue from Kaworu and the credits song being replaced), but I was randomly scrolling through a tvtropes page and it says that two scenes were removed. I don't think that's related, but I'm curious as to which scenes were removed if what I read was right.

Netflix can eat a dick. I was actually thinking about following up the Ergo Proxy buddy group with a rewatch of NGE because it's easily accessible now, but this sucks.

Yeah I really dislike this too. It reminds me of the whole card captor sakura thing and sailor moon, where the english dub was doing everything it could to censor the gayness. This is some 4kids shit right here.

I sense overreactions.

Shit, I had to look up the Fly Me to the Moon ED... because I didn't remember it, at all. It was a neat gimmick for each episode to have it's own rendition, still forgetable.

So nothing of importance lost there.

And a slight dialogue translation change. That ain't even agreed on in the first place.

These things affect the series how?

I mean, the ending of the TV series doesn't even count, "officially."

Anno says the original TV series wasn't the true ending, no one bats an eye. Netflix has some licensing issues and a no homo translation and people lose their minds.

But, this was inevitable though. People wanted NGE to be available in streaming format for who knows how long, annnnnd now they aren't happy.

I think the Kaworu episode is pretty gay-coded either way. The script writer said it was for the sake of leaving things "ambiguous" but I don't think "love" in the subtitled version was all that clear cut either since the word does have different applications. There are definitely other reasons to interpret their relationship as "yes homo" that weren't touched in ways I've been told about.

Last edited:
As someone who's never seen the original, I still got pretty strong gay vibes from Kaworu, so I'm not sure how much of an issue it really is. Have also grown quite fond of the piano ending theme - which changes a little each episode - over the course of bingeing the series during the last two days, so there's that.

Last edited:
Yeah, did they, or did I miss something?
Episode 25, one moment they were on a beach the next they were having a mind trip like Asuka and the holy rainbow light.

It seems like they started rushing and cut out a lot of connective tissue and starts jumping around. Asuka ending up in the tub, then the hospital. People are dead. Somehow they've all merged.

Yeah, did they, or did I miss something?
Episode 25, one moment they were on a beach the next they were having a mind trip like Asuka and the holy rainbow light.

It seems like they started rushing and cut out a lot of connective tissue and starts jumping around. Asuka ending up in the tub, then the hospital. People are dead. Somehow they've all merged.

You should watch the "End of Evangelion" movie (also on Netflix), which acts as a replacement for those two episodes. It won't make any more sense, but damn it's a spectacle.

The dialogue between Kaworu and Shinji is pretty bad, it just kind of ruins the mood honestly. The whole "you are worthy of my grace" alteration is just awkward, and 'love' makes more sense because love is still 'ambiguous' / makes more sense with the word being said in that scene (the 'love' of God, or the romantic love of another boy/ weird ass alien... Shinji saying 'wow no one's ever said they liked me before' comes off as a more inherently comical translation than emotional imo)

The first time I watched Evangelion, the anime, I hated it. I didn't bother to finish it or watch anything else related to the series.

I was a kid at the time, so of course I didn't get it. I even hated Shinji as a character. I remember his voice being shrill and annoying like Asta from Black Clover.

Now that I'm older with more life experience, and with the Netflix take on the series, I find myself feeling the complete opposite.

I actually understand now how Shinji feels now. His voice isn't annoying like before. Things are still confusing but I find myself wanting to figure the show out now instead of feeling frustrated and angry at it.

Something I can't believe I didn't notice when I was younger was how gay Kaworu and Shinji are together. I found out they're more intimate in the manga and movies. I think Shinji is bisexual though since he seems to like chicks too.

The relationships are a bit strange in this show to say the least, but Kaworu is the only character who seems to really care about Shinji, besides Misato. Even if the lgbt rep isn't perfect, knowing this old show gave it a shot feels nice.

Hearing Netflix cut the kiss and changed some dialogue between Kaworu and Shinji is very disappointing, but not surprising. Anime and manga, as well as those producing it have a long way to go in being more open minded.

I think the Kaworu episode is pretty gay-coded either way. The script writer said it was for the sake of leaving things "ambiguous" but I don't think "love" in the subtitled version was all that clear cut either since the word does have different applications. There are definitely other reasons to interpret their relationship as "yes homo" that weren't touched in ways I've been told about.
The problem is, he left the Kaworu scenes more ambiguous, yet the scenes during instrumentality in the final 2 episodes with Asuka, when Shinji says he wants to help her, he now says he can't live without her. Pretty different implications there.

On top of that, the "terrorists" that are referred to during the series are now "leftist terrorists".

It definitely seems like there's an agenda here.

Last edited:
Back