Suggest LGBT changes to characters

Status
Not open for further replies.
WARNING characters himself is a spoiler-kun.

Kaworu Nagisa from Neon Genesis Evangelion. Gay.
Original anime people fought but it was clear. Word of god Anno said in a June manga interview that it was intentionally homoerotic, that Kaworu is a reflection of Shinji’s ideal self. All original anime parts are in episode 24. But manga? Yes. Evangelion 3.0? YES. Kaworu in all series uses intentionally confusing but also romantic language. Kaworu says he loves Shinji.
Shinji: “I have to go to bed”
Kaworu: “with me?”
Shinji: !!!???!!?

And then Kaworu spends the night and Shinji shares intimate things

Shinji is... to the point it would be a spoiler to tag him. And people have had a 20+ year long debate about it. But he is certainly more comfortable with Kaworu and fast. Things are less romantic in the manga. But Shinji still says he loves Kaworu.
'Homoerotic behavior' doesn't necessarily mean 'gay'.
Spoiler:
Kaworu as an angel has no real grasp on the ego barrier of humans, that's why he has no problem being affectionate with someone he likes or finds interesting. And Shinji wants to be able to express himself clearly without the fear of rejection, that's why Kaworu is Shinji's idealized self.

'Homoerotic behavior' doesn't necessarily mean 'gay'.
Spoiler:
Kaworu as an angel has no real grasp on the ego barrier of humans, that's why he has no problem being affectionate with someone he likes or finds interesting. And Shinji wants to be able to express himself clearly without the fear of rejection, that's why Kaworu is Shinji's idealized self.

"I wanted to make him someone that could be loved by anyone, an incredibly good person. Almost as though, by the time Shinji saw him, there was nothing he could do but get a complex."

" person named Satsukawa (Akio)-san did that. Satsukawa-san is better at—this is bad to say, but—he’s right on the mark when it comes to homoeroticism. *laugh*"

"
Interviewer: Did you stop Satsukawa-san when it looked like he was going to go berserk, Director Anno?

Anno: No, nothing like that. Satsukawa-san’s atmosphere remains in the script. Satsukawa-san’s original script had more of that sort of meaning and was JUNE-like.

Interviewer: For example?

Anno: I’m the one who went and set it in the bath, though. In the original script, the two of them were swimming naked in a river. *laugh*"

"–You said that their relationship was JUNEish, something beyond friendship. The feeling came out naturally.
Anno: I put all of my knowledge about that kind of things in there. You can say that that trait in me is just this little."

"Speaking about that blushing, was it because Shinji was happy that somebody likes him?
Anno: Yes, Shinji really didn’t experience sexual desire there. (laugh)" <--- note there has not been a single thing so far saying Kaworu-kun wasn't feeling that way for Shinji
And here are some quotes from Sadamoto for manga-verse

"
I have never had feelings for someone of the same sex before…or so I thought. In my childhood I was enamored with anime and superheroes. I tried imitating them a lot, and apparently there was even a time that I thought I was Obake-no-Q-taro. All of the pictures taken of me during that phase had me doing mischievous poses, so I think that there may have even been a time that I was mischievous.

Even after reaching an age of discretion, I was influenced by novels and movies that depict the way men live and die. Stories about Kamen Rider, Bruce Lee, the Seven Samurai, James Bond, Lupin III and the like. More often than not though, they were about men. Hmm.

In Kaworu’s case, through Rei’s heart flowing into his own, he is held captive by feelings that would get him nowhere–because he was still unable to even comprehend the feelings.

Actually, when I was drawing this volume, I was thinking to myself, “Kaworu is a pretty good guy,” and “Shinji, try and understand,” and “You’re actually a little interested, aren’t you?”

Then, I came to the realization that I was sort of starting to develop feelings for Kaworu.

Whoa! Yukes!! http://i.imgur.com/hdP1lbB.jpg

So he fully explains it is intentional feelings for the same sex being portrayed.

Quote from the manga:

“I was attracted to him.
Deep in my heart.
I don’t know when it began.
I really don’t want to fall in love with a boy like that.
I really don’t want to have friends anymore.
Even so……
Why do humans have to be attracted to other people so hopelessly?”- Shinji Ikari

Kaworu-kun is always a romantic option for Shinji in games. “I really was born to meet you.” and “It’s because I’m always thinking of you.” are said in the most romantic way possible, using intentionally romantic language. You could say it is a monstrous sort of Yandere kind of love, however, it doesn't mean it isn't homosexual. Just because a character is evil, not human, and obsessive, doesn't bar them from being gay.

Could we give Bum the BI Tag again? I remember him and Sangwoo(For some reason) having it and it was removed because it wasn't sure. Koogi stated in her newest Q&A that Sangwoo is hetero and Bum has shown interest to both genders throughout the story.
Can you link me the Q & A, please?

https://www.anime-planet.com/characters/daruku-hoshino
She is a trans girl, not a crossdresser. In the light novel the anime is based on, she had a full medical sex change by her senior year, so remove the crossdressers tag, add the transgender tag, and change the character entry's gender from male to female.
While someone updated the character already, I'm simply curious: have you actually read the light novel yourself to confirm this information, or is it from another source? Your anime and manga lists on the site are pretty empty, so it's hard to tell lol. It's not that I don't trust you, or disagree (I certainly don't want to seem as though I'm being negative in any way!), I'm just interested, partially in case I find anything to recommend to you!

Thank you for your submissions either way, because a lot of slightly older LGBT+ characters will probably be miss-tagged, if only because it was done by one mod forever ago and AP's since updated its policies. It's really appreciated, we want to get these things right but there are only so many of us!

While someone updated the character already, I'm simply curious: have you actually read the light novel yourself to confirm this information, or is it from another source? Your anime and manga lists on the site are pretty empty, so it's hard to tell lol. It's not that I don't trust you, or disagree (I certainly don't want to seem as though I'm being negative in any way!), I'm just interested, partially in case I find anything to recommend to you!

Thank you for your submissions either way, because a lot of slightly older LGBT+ characters will probably be miss-tagged, if only because it was done by one mod forever ago and AP's since updated its policies. It's really appreciated, we want to get these things right but there are only so many of us!
I learned this information from science20's transphobia isn't just for your father article, specifically, Hontas Farmer's comments. Hontas Farmer is someone I trust. Hontas Farmer even posted pictures to prove that Daruku had a full medical sex change by her senior year.

How about Tamama from Keroro Gunsou and the bisexual tag? He crushes on Keroro pretty heavily throughout the show, but he also has a crush on a woman briefly in one of the episodes in the 100s.

How about Tamama from Keroro Gunsou and the bisexual tag? He crushes on Keroro pretty heavily throughout the show, but he also has a crush on a woman briefly in one of the episodes in the 100s.

Unless romantic interest is shown (kissing, dating, marrying, etc.), or its explicitly stated, they wouldn't get the tag for something like that.

@Kari5
Tamama has a lot of that with Keroro, unless you mean his interest in the woman which I'd have to find the ep for.

I mean even in that video Tamama talks about how he wants to be 'lovey dovey' with Keroro and share a drink with two straws. In the manga he talks about how he wants a love affair with Keroro.

He also has a fantasy where he goes into Keroro's room before Keroro wakes up to kiss him. There's a lot of incidents with Tamama, but I could gather more I suppose. Sorry for the low quality gif.
tumblr_ou5ti7QsCE1w4nidlo1_540.gif

Reo and Mabu should have the gay tag, as well. Sorry to give another example so shortly after.

Reo and Mabu were first introduced raising a child together, and living their daily life on twitter together, so most people assumed they were a couple. This is not a secret of the show, since Reo and Mabu do some intimate dancing with each other every episode and our first intro is them raising a kid together, getting each other their favourite food and living domestically together.

However, the most recent episode makes this clear beyond doubt with Reo saying 'we're a couple, we're the best couple in the world!'

Last edited:
Do want to make clear Reo and Mabu raising a kid together predates the show and is not featured on the show, I just meant it was their first 'public appearance' in their manga spinoff.

Sorry, last comment. Alluka Zoldyck seems to be missing the transgender tag. In the anime and manga its pretty clear Alluka identifies as a girl.

However, I feel like this character is famous enough that there was a discussion about this beforehand. So I'm not sure if there's a reason given for why this tag isn't included

Reo and Mabu should have the gay tag, as well. Sorry to give another example so shortly after.

Reo and Mabu were first introduced raising a child together, and living their daily life on twitter together, so most people assumed they were a couple. This is not a secret of the show, since Reo and Mabu do some intimate dancing with each other every episode and our first intro is them raising a kid together, getting each other their favourite food and living domestically together.

However, the most recent episode makes this clear beyond doubt with Reo saying 'we're a couple, we're the best couple in the world!'
Agreed. The director's also confirmed that their feelings for each other are romantic. I've added the tags.

Sorry, last comment. Alluka Zoldyck seems to be missing the transgender tag. In the anime and manga its pretty clear Alluka identifies as a girl.

However, I feel like this character is famous enough that there was a discussion about this beforehand. So I'm not sure if there's a reason given for why this tag isn't included
Alluka had the tag but it was removed for reasons I don't remember as I'm not familiar with the character. I think mods determined there wasn't enough evidence and the character was more gender ambiguous, but those lines are very very blurry (especially with cultural differences)... I could be wrong on this, however, so please don't take this to mean anything lol.

Also, in the future, please refrain from double-posting! You can use the edit button on your post to make changes if you remember something or want to make another submission. If you're worried mods are going to miss them, you can just write "EDIT:" in front of what you add or something along those lines. We'll get to them all! Part of it is that we want to be absolutely sure with LGBT+ tags and tend to discuss them with other character mods unless someone is super familiar with a show. It's not that we don't trust user submissions, but we want to double-check things just in case!

Thank you for your submissions btw! Please know they're appreciated!

@Starra
Sorry, for some reason I couldn't edit my post in 'Submit updates for existing characters' so I assumed the edit button didn't work on posts in this subforum. I'm not sure WHY the edit button didn't work there now, but thank you for the clarification

edit: Also, if people are vague on Alluka, then maybe I'll post some more regarding evidence soon then... Alluka is the most mainstream trans character there is, so I feel its worth a discussion

@Starra
Sorry, for some reason I couldn't edit my post in 'Submit updates for existing characters' so I assumed the edit button didn't work on posts in this subforum. I'm not sure WHY the edit button didn't work there now, but thank you for the clarification

edit: Also, if people are vague on Alluka, then maybe I'll post some more regarding evidence soon then... Alluka is the most mainstream trans character there is, so I feel its worth a discussion
Huh, that's weird lol. If it happens again maybe post something about it in the bugs forum?

As for Alluka, I agree. I'm leaning towards the character being trans myself based on what I've seen floating around, but as the only HxH I've read hasn't gotten to that part of the story yet, I have no real authority, I'm afraid. If you can post canon evidence, however, there's a good chance we'll reconsider the tag! :drinking:

One, regarding Alluka Zoldyck...

Imo, I think the story makes it as clear as you can without literally saying the word trans and while keeping it kind of respectful.

The majority of the family calls her a boy. We hear that the Zoldyck family has all sons. The HxH databook has her sex listed as 'male'. In most cases she is referred to neutrally, but Illumi and Milluki specifically refer to her as their little brother (in original Japanese too).

However, Killua, the family member who 'loves her most' and the only one who isn't trying to have her killed/okay with her use as an object, calls her a girl and emphasizes that she is a girl. Alluka also uses traditionally female pronouns, and dresses in feminine clothing when she is older, whereas she wears more vaguely masculine clothing when she is younger (the house staff calls her by male terms when she is younger too).

The manga repeatedly makes the point that Killua knows more about Alluka than anyone else, regarding powers, or personhood, or anything. So that seems to naturally extend here to his treatment of her.

tumblr_inline_nrz3joc8Ll1r7g0kj_500.png

Girl is put in [ brackets ] in the original, emphasis.
tumblr_inline_nrz3hu8tMs1r7g0kj_500.png

"there’s a chapter in volume 31, chapter 322 specifically, titled…well, the furigana is きょうだい (kyoudai). “Siblings,” which is also the chapter’s title in the official english release. normally, that’s written in kanji as 兄弟, which in terms of literal meaning is composed of the kanji for older brother and younger brother.

that’s not the kanji used in the chapter title, though

for the chapter title, togashi used the kanji 兄妹, which can also be read as kyoudai although that’s not the normal reading. but instead of the kanji for younger brother he used the kanji for little sister instead"
https://itsybitsyjoltik.tumblr.com/...an-interesting-thing-i-noticed-in-my-japanese
^ The reason this is particularly relevant is this is an example of Togashi also acknowledging Alluka is female, since its a title of a chapter.

Two, I'm a bit surprised by the fact Kalluto has a ? tag regarding gender. Sure, things can change there, maybe Kalluto is more complicated, I'm not entirely opposed to the ?. But as is, he's a boy who emulates his mother's style of dress. (Kalluto uses boku, and is as referred to as a little brother on a few occasions)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back