People "hate" option removed

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
On Anime-Planet we strive to promote an inclusive, welcoming community for all anime and manga fans - whether you're a regular fan or someone who works in the industry. We made a misstep with one of our features, and today we're correcting that.

Back when we launched the love/hate functionality years ago, the idea was that "hate" could be used for "anything that isn't user-related". Seeing a hate count on a review you write or a custom list you create is demotivating, and hurtful, so it only ever was an option on character and staff pages.

We fully admit that this was a poorly-thought out oversight for staff pages - these folks are or could be users too (in fact, many voice actors use Anime-Planet, have suggested edits to their pages, etc). And, we apologize for this. So, as of today you can no longer mark the "hate" button on people pages.

Thanks, as always for your support of Anime-Planet and of this community.

Why should anyone strive to improve when we can simply give every bad thing a pat on the back and tell them how good they are. This is no going to help anyone it’s simply stroking the ego of someone who doesn’t want to be told that what they did isn’t up to the standards it should meet or that it’s just a shit take.

Why should anyone strive to improve when we can simply give every bad thing a pat on the back and tell them how good they are. This is no going to help anyone it’s simply stroking the ego of someone who doesn’t want to be told that what they did isn’t up to the standards it should meet or that it’s just a shit take.
How is removing the ability to have a list of people who hate a real life human being on their page, stroking their ego? People are their worst critics anyways.

Well To say ! I haven't used " Hate button " ~
Cause People do hard work on their Anime/Manga (If hate them , other people also like them )
I don't love them but Not hate them Either ~
Thanks Ap !!
onionhead_by_theonionhead-d5qjex1.gif

Last edited:

No voice actor or director is going to come to Anime-Planet's info page for themselves, see a bunch of hates, and think to themselves "ah, I better work on my directing skills".

Removing an element that leads to negativity in the community is a good thing for the community as a whole.

There are plenty of other online anime databases that cater to those who like having the option to be negative. Bravo for the decision, Oh Great Powers That Be for deciding otherwise, and listening to people's opinions on these subjects! Always so proud of this site :3

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a meaningful thing to consider, but people don't actually use these ratings to give quality feedback.

See, you usually get some sort of baseline and negligible level of "hate" for everyone, maybe a bit more for people who generally do crappy jobs, but the actually big and significant hatedoms form when there's something memetic to hate -- like a controversial ending, or some unrelated political comment, or such. You rarely see actually crappy shows getting large hatedoms.

Worse yet, it's often good shows or well-reputable studios/staff, that people expect a lot out of, then feel betrayed, and now you have a large audience and they're very angry about something.

That's why things don't really work like you'd expect them to.

Besides, staff people work on anime series as jobs. A few more prominent ones may have a thing about being an "auteur", but many are just doing it for a living. So imagine you had a bad day at work, you produced some crappy art but you just needed to get it out the door because of customer demands, and now, you're on some sort of internet "hate list" because of it. That kinda sucks, wouldn't you say? (I'd object to it a bit less if it weren't such a strong word as "hate", but...)

Anyway, there's way better, more effective, more meaningful ways to express one's dislike for a studio or director or whoever. Make a forum thread about that staff member or studio, and talk about why you find their work unsatisfactory. We'd love to read your thoughts on the matter, and you have a much greater chance of convincing other anime fans to agree with you, than if you simply clicked +hate on some page.

that would explain things, I thought there was a glitch of forgetting to add the coding. so for all those that we did mark as hate in the past will the, or are they purged? I don't remember if I have any "hate" for a voice actor/other but for the chance that I do and the others, don't want to break the site, that's no fun. at least that would explain the few times AP was down for a short bit here and there yesterday, clearing away this cobweb.

Hating someone isn’t critiquing them, it’s just hating them. And I’m glad that function is gone.

Thanks for this.

I have a feeling that my creative works may lead me to be listen as a “person” on AP someday (I’m not Japanese, but who knows, I may sing a dub anime song someday), and it would really hurt my feelings to see people “hate” me, especially since the word “hate” has connotations of wanting that person to be gone. Which is why it really upsets me when I see my favorite mangaka and musicians hated, because I don’t want anything bad to happen to them.

In my opinion we are living in an over sensitive, constantly offended, politically correct era. It's not something I'm fond of. However, with that being said I am glad to see the hate option being removed for people. That is something that has been recently taken out of context and to lengthy extremes, which warrants its removal.

Like @Starra said I always thought of it as a "dislike" instead of hate, but I do fully support this indeed. And honestly, if someone hates an English dub performance, then just watch it in Japanese with subtitles, unless the captioning is offensive. In that case, don't watch anime.

Lastly, like @Funkgun said as long as I can 'heart with a crack in it' as it pertains to wonderful anime such as W'z and amazing characters such as Delphine Eraclea, then Anime-planet will forever remain the best of all the rest!

Back