Unpopular Anime Opinions

I remember being part of a discussion on here several years ago where one of our members (maybe zet) was explaining how back in the 90s wen anime had its first big flush in the west that alot of stuff got made that probably shouldn't have and that it did damage to animes rep.
Well last night I think I watched one of those, demon city shinjiku and while it was truly awfull I did find myself enjoying it,
Tbh I think my enjoyment came from the nostalgia of that old art style and also the crappieness of the eng dub
It was a very strange experience but a fun one

UAO: I've never been super into Ghibli movies. It's weird to me because I grew up on Disney and loved those, but from the handful of Ghibli movies I've seen they were never that interesting to me. Gorgeous artwork, absolutely, but plot-wise I haven't really cared for any.

Then again, I watched Hotaru no Haka (Grave of the Fireflies) years ago when I was very cynical and just kinda found the characters annoying so maybe I should try that one again... (I know it's not Miyazaki, shush.)

UAO: I've never been super into Ghibli movies. It's weird to me because I grew up on Disney and loved those, but from the handful of Ghibli movies I've seen they were never that interesting to me. Gorgeous artwork, absolutely, but plot-wise I haven't really cared for any.

Then again, I watched Hotaru no Haka (Grave of the Fireflies) years ago when I was very cynical and just kinda found the characters annoying so maybe I should try that one again... (I know it's not Miyazaki, shush.)

Might I recommend Only Yesterday? It's very slice-of-life and relatable, especially if you've gone through a quarter-life crisis. It's not like the more magical Ghibli movies and isn't as heavy as Grave of the Fireflies. But it is very good with its plot and it might strike a chord in you.

Might I recommend Only Yesterday? It's very slice-of-life and relatable, especially if you've gone through a quarter-life crisis. It's not like the more magical Ghibli movies and isn't as heavy as Grave of the Fireflies. But it is very good with its plot and it might strike a chord in you.

Holy crap, I never hear anyone talking about this one. But yes, I'm seconding this rec as well. It's underrated af.

I'll give it a go! Like I said, I used to be a lot more cynical about things like Hotaru no Haka even though I understand that it was based on a true story and the author of the original novel wrote it at least in part to
apologise to his younger sister for not being able to save her during the war.

I think I just have to be in the right mood for these things.

Is this really that unpopular of an opinion? personally, I would agree with this. I enjoyed most of the movies because of the animation and music, you're right about the plots being kind of weak. People often describe Ghibli as the "Japanese Disney" but I don't feel it.

Also, Grave of the Fireflies is one of my least favourite Ghibli films (so if you watch it again and like it this time I would be interested to hear). "just kinda found the characters annoying" <- agreed

Ghibli's cool and all, but the standard for anime movies for me has always been Satoshi Kon's movies, not Miyazaki's.

As for Grave of the Fireflies, I got heavy emotions after watching it, but I didn't cry like other people. So when people say it's one of the most depressing things they've ever watched, I kind of agree out loud, even if I can think of other anime that are just as heavy as Grave. You're both right about the characters, but I think we were meant to disagree with the boy's stubbornness and excessive pride.

More than the self-flagellation going on in that movie, I think I heard somewhere that Grave of the Fireflies was also meant to lecture the current generation of kids watching it. Something like a "quit whining about the life you have now, look at what my generation had to go through" kind of deal. Which explains that long, eerie look the characters give us somewhere in the middle of the movie.

I think the strong point of Ghibli movies is not the plot, but the original and impressive way they give their messages. It is more about the atmosphere, characters and the situations than the plot. Of course, in terms of animation and music, they are second to none.

More than the self-flagellation going on in that movie, I think I heard somewhere that Grave of the Fireflies was also meant to lecture the current generation of kids watching it. Something like a "quit whining about the life you have now, look at what my generation had to go through" kind of deal. Which explains that long, eerie look the characters give us somewhere in the middle of the movie.
I thought it was just yet another war film about the horrors of war and why war is bad. Or maybe the original as far as anime movies go. Kind of like miyazaki's answer to michael bay's pearl harbor or something. But maybe I'm just stupid.

UAO

all bungou stray dogs is good but the openings are all awful.

I actually really enjoyed Code Geass Season 2. It's cheese, it's ham, it has more Norio Wakamoto, Onizuka, Jouji Nakata and more great voice work, more action shit, more escalation of war, more tactics and chess strategems, L.O.Y.A.L.T.Y. and complete lapses in logic and reason. Also more butts. And a pretty damn bloody good satisfying ending that doesn't end on some cliffhanger bullshit.

I actually really enjoyed Code Geass Season 2. It's cheese, it's ham, it has more Norio Wakamoto, Onizuka, Jouji Nakata and more great voice work, more action shit, more escalation of war, more tactics and chess strategems, L.O.Y.A.L.T.Y. and complete lapses in logic and reason. Also more butts. And a pretty damn bloody good satisfying ending that doesn't end on some cliffhanger bullshit.
I can say, as the person of taste that i am, you are most certainly a person of taste, cowboy. Respec.

Until they ruin the ending with a new movie, that is.

This is one of those opinions that's not all that unpopular. It just seems unpopular because a lot of the regulars aren't fans of Code Geass, especially the second season. I will give the second season one thing and that is the ending is great. It's just that the way the season gets there is a tortured road of constant twists that don't hang together that well. It is kind of funny that despite how definitive the ending is they've still been pumping out spinoffs and retellings for the last ten years. At least the new movie is an alternative universe story that doesn't mess with the ending.

This is one of those opinions that's not all that unpopular. It just seems unpopular because a lot of the regulars aren't fans of Code Geass, especially the second season. I will give the second season one thing and that is the ending is great. It's just that the way the season gets there is a tortured road of constant twists that don't hang together that well. It is kind of funny that despite how definitive the ending is they've still been pumping out spinoffs and retellings for the last ten years. At least the new movie is an alternative universe story that doesn't mess with the ending.

That's what got me into thinking it was unpopular, not just in comparison to the first season. Regulars disliked it in general but appreciated how good the ending was compared to other beta cuck series that have a shitballs ending or are inconclusive. And I still enjoyed the middle bits, as preposterous as they got. Some ass pulls, characters you grow to hate, others who don't redeem themselves, it's no first season but it's still something you don't need to completely focus on. Still need to see all them movies and Akihito the Exiled, which I assume is about Geass and things. Maybe Geass Samurai.

At least the new movie is an alternative universe story that doesn't mess with the ending.
Naruhodo. I didn't know. And here I thought for sure they were going to fuck it up by
Having ledouche be all "surprise mofos I'm not dead x2"
and then maybe accidentally telling some monarch to kill all the japanese again. I wouldn't have put it past them.

Go watch Shiki.

You're welcome.

Did you miss the whole thing about it looking goofy? I know Shiki, and it looks just as impossible to take seriously as every other horror show.

The horror and slasher genre are indeed a joke...

Shiki, as goofy as it looks, is one of the few shows that's kind of carrying the horror genre on its back. I struggled in the beginning as well with the way the characters looked and you kinda get used to it... It even starts off extremely goofy but the show gets pretty impressive once it gets going.

It's one of those shows that literally uses an entire town as its playground, just for that reason alone it's worth a watch. I think the main idea behind the funky character design is to make sure you recognize characters, making it impossible to forget who is who and to keep track of who is a Shiki and who isn't. It's a pretty big cast where every character gets their time to shine.

I love my gorgeous and well animated art... I would still find it hard to recommend it due to the way the characters look. In general, anime likes to go for their power ranger color designs and I agree it just really doesn't fit the horror genre. Same goes for Devilman Crybaby and Higurashi When they Cry's first season. I think Boogiepop is a show that still falls under the horror genre and specially the first few episodes were tough to follow since all the characters looked the same which was a turn off for a lot of people as well.

The horror and slasher genre are indeed a joke...

Shiki, as goofy as it looks, is one of the few shows that's kind of carrying the horror genre on its back. I struggled in the beginning as well with the way the characters looked and you kinda get used to it... It even starts off extremely goofy but the show gets pretty impressive once it gets going.

It's one of those shows that literally uses an entire town as its playground, just for that reason alone it's worth a watch. I think the main idea behind the funky character design is to make sure you recognize characters, making it impossible to forget who is who and to keep track of who is a Shiki and who isn't. It's a pretty big cast where every character gets their time to shine.

I love my gorgeous and well animated art... I would still find it hard to recommend it due to the way the characters look. In general, anime likes to go for their power ranger color designs and I agree it just really doesn't fit the horror genre. Same goes for Devilman Crybaby and Higurashi When they Cry's first season. I think Boogiepop is a show that still falls under the horror genre and specially the first few episodes were tough to follow since all the characters looked the same which was a turn off for a lot of people as well.

Maybe this is just me, but when it comes to anime horror I'm more about what actually happens to the characters rather than how it looks. That's why something like
1997 Berserk's ending really gets to me (that show is not horror on a whole, but the finale is). It's not about the artstyle or how well animated it is. It's about the content.
That's what I get out of horror anime at least.

Back