Anime Bingo Challenge: Spring 2019

Which of these anime should we group watch?

• Escaflowne

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Excel Saga

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • The Flying House

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Giant Killing

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Gokusen

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Golden Kamuy

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Keijo!!!!!!!!

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Laid-Back Camp

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Land of the Lustrous

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Major Season 1

• My Love Story!!

• Paranoia Agent

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Serial Experiments Lain

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • Tetsujin 28-gou (1980)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wolf's Rain

• Yurikuma Arashi

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
E2:[Watch an anime movie] → Memory of Red {When I watched this the only tag it had was “Abstract” but since then the “shorts” tag has been added}
There is no way I can verify that you indeed watched it before the tag was added. Sadly, this is denied.

A5:[Watch an anime from the 2010’s] → Portrait
This anime is not from the 2010's but from 1983 so I can't approve it.

FINISHED:
M1:[Group-watch an anime] → The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
M2:[Write a public review for an anime] → Oi Pii-tan!!
M3:[Add 2 recommendations for anime] → Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 = Now and Then, Here and There [Two way Recommendation]
M4:[Write a public review for an anime] → Green Dakara x Bakemono no Ko
M5:[Group-watch an anime ] → Dead Leaves
E1:[Watch a 10+ episode anime] → Crest of the Stars

E3:[Watch an anime with short episodes (12 minute episodes or less, matching the “Short Episodes” tag)] → Teekyuu 9

E4:[Watch an anime with less than 10 episodes] → .hack//SIGN - Unison

E5:[Re-watch an anime you’ve seen before] → Abstract feat. Alkama
FINISHED:
A1:[Watch an anime from the current season] → Rilakkuma and Kaoru
  • I reached level 1 in the Spring 2019 Anime Challenge! =D
A3:[Watch an anime based on a novel or light novel] → Listen to Me, Girls, I'm Your Father!: Warmth {Light Novel}
N2:[Watch an action anime] → Kizuna Ichigeki
I2:[Watch an anime you’ve never seen] → Monster Extra
I will approve the two reviews because they were made for some short anime and there is not much you could review but, honestly, it's not in the spirit of ABC and I, personally, don't approve of this practice. APPROVED! You have 325 abstract points. Congrats in reaching level 1!

*Claiming*

N4 Watch a comedy anime - Back Street Girls -GOKUDOLS-
I2 Watch a MADHOUSE anime - Tokyo Godfathers
M1 Add 2 recommendations - I Want to Eat Your Pancreas <> Your Lie in April
M2 Add 2 recommendations - Snow White with the Red Hair <> Spice and Wolf
APPROVED! You have 111 idol points.

Claiming N3 with https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/kaiba
I really loved this anime, not only with the sci-fi romance, but how it handled identity.
APPROVED! You have 23 memory points.

I'd like to claim

N4 - Watch a comedy anime (Grand Blue)

M2 - Add 2 recommendations for anime (Grand Blue and Daily Lives of High School Boys)
APPROVED! You have 5 grand, blue points!

APPROVED! You have 9 spicy, fluffy points!

E3 - Watch a 10+ episode Anime [Mononoke]

I ain't claim this yet right?
You've claimed it now. APPROVED! You have 4 mythical points. And I see that you have evolved to mythical again. Congrats! :D

FINISHED:
A2:[Watch an anime from the current season] → Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress Movie: The Battle of Unato
A4:[Watch an anime that aired last year] → Ninja Batman x Poputepipikku Kindan no Collab CM
N1:[Watch a shounen anime] → My Hero Academia: Training of the Dead
N3:[Watch a fantasy anime] → Pikachu and the Pokemon Band
I5:[Watch an anime by Studio Deen] → KonoSuba – God's blessing on this wonderful world!!

--

There is no way I can verify that you indeed watched it before the tag was added. Sadly, this is denied.
That would be why I included the screen shot from the day I checked it off as watched {4/23/19}

E2:[Watch an anime movie] --> Colorful (2010)

This anime is not from the 2010's but from 1983 so I can't approve it.
animesweat.gif
Whoops that was supposed to be Hi Score Girl: Extra Stage. I'd like to blame Word but I suppose I should blame my eyesight
d180po3-fbdb2b9e-bb3f-4d02-bb35-faca453277c3.gif

FINISHED:
N5:[Watch a sci-fi anime] → Crest of the Stars: Birth
I4:[Watch an anime by A-1 Pictures] → Persona 3 the Movie Meets “Walkman
N4:[Watch a romance anime] → Sankarea
I1:[Watch an anime under recommendation] → your name.
  • Food Wars, Golden Time, My Love Story, Your Name, Promised Neverland, Domestic Girlfriend.
    Hope you enjoy them! Let me know if you end up watching any and what you thought of them.
Thank you for the recommendation ^^
I read the manga so I was familiar with the story and I can’t say I was blown away by the movie but it was decent.

I can tell a lot of work went into the sound design but the constant instrumental symphony-esque poundings were an unrelenting onslaught -- my ears are still ringing from the strings.

I did enjoy Catie Harvey as Yotsuha and Glynis Ellis as the grandmother but I didn’t care for Stephanie Sheh as Mitsuha, and Michael Sinterniklaas as Taki was iffy-alright.
Though the Japanese voices for Mitsuha and Taki didn’t sound right for teenagers at all.
--> It’s pretty common for me to find fault with vocal performances in both dub and sub. *sigh*

The decision the dubbing team made for English covers of the songs is one I can support though.
“Let’s make a sign for when we say nice to meet again” works just as well at conveying the message of the union between Mitsuha and Taki as “If both our voices could carry, what would we say?”.
--> The Japanese singer’s softer voice matched better with the overall story though.

I think there was either too much pressure on the animation team or they wanted to make this a “theatrical” film and it decreased the entertainment value for this viewer.

I’ll same the same for the dub in regards to vocal casting. Too much reliance on well-versed actors who can do the job but who are so recognizable as this that and the other thing a dozen times over that it makes the listener yearn for something refreshing.

My first personal connection
“Some morning I wake up crying and don’t know why” → Dianne Reeves When I Cry “I call out your name.” -- oh the feels. If you’ve ever lost someone this song goes above and beyond in connecting with the pain you feel.

My favorite part:
“You work way too many shifts.”
“'Cause you keep wasting money.”

Overall I'd watch it again dub or sub but probably not for a few months.

-x-x-x-

-->Want a sweet in honor of L or a red delicious in honor of Ryuk>? <--

FINISHED:
Thank you for the recommendation ^^
I read the manga so I was familiar with the story and I can’t say I was blown away by the movie but it was decent.

I can tell a lot of work went into the sound design but the constant instrumental symphony-esque poundings were an unrelenting onslaught -- my ears are still ringing from the strings.

I did enjoy Catie Harvey as Yotsuha and Glynis Ellis as the grandmother but I didn’t care for Stephanie Sheh as Mitsuha, and Michael Sinterniklaas as Taki was iffy-alright.
Though the Japanese voices for Mitsuha and Taki didn’t sound right for teenagers at all.
--> It’s pretty common for me to find fault with vocal performances in both dub and sub. *sigh*

The decision the dubbing team made for English covers of the songs is one I can support though.
“Let’s make a sign for when we say nice to meet again” works just as well at conveying the message of the union between Mitsuha and Taki as “If both our voices could carry, what would we say?”.
--> The Japanese singer’s softer voice matched better with the overall story though.

I think there was either too much pressure on the animation team or they wanted to make this a “theatrical” film and it decreased the entertainment value for this viewer.

I’ll same the same for the dub in regards to vocal casting. Too much reliance on well-versed actors who can do the job but who are so recognizable as this that and the other thing a dozen times over that it makes the listener yearn for something refreshing.

My first personal connection
“Some morning I wake up crying and don’t know why” → Dianne Reeves When I Cry “I call out your name.” -- oh the feels. If you’ve ever lost someone this song goes above and beyond in connecting with the pain you feel.

My favorite part:
“You work way too many shifts.”
“'Cause you keep wasting money.”

Overall I'd watch it again dub or sub but probably not for a few months.

-x-x-x-

-->Want a sweet in honor of L or a red delicious in honor of Ryuk>? <--

Ahh I see. Well, thanks for giving my suggestion a try anyway. I generally always watch the subtitled version because most of the time the English voices dont seem to match up with what was originally intended for the character, if that makes any sense.

A1 - Watch an anime from the 80's - Defenders of Space -Watched as part of DTAB at the weekend.
APPROVED! You have 8 defender points.

I need to claim....
Lord of Vermilion: The Crimson King for my A-3 (Watch an anime that aired last year).
APPROVED! You have 13 epidemic points.

Would like to claim:

E3: Watch an anime with short episodes - https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/tonari-no-seki-kun

Thanks!
Can't approved this claim, as it appears that you started watching the anime in January and you must have both started and finished the series between the beginning of the season and the deadline at the end of the season. If you have re-watched those episodes after April 1st, then everything is ok but without that it can't be approved. So let us know if you did that and we will approve.

HKBattosai-feed.png

It appears that you have already claimed those anime on your 3rd bingo card so you can't use them again.

That would be why I included the screen shot from the day I checked it off as watched {4/23/19}
Thank you for claiming Colorful instead! And I understand that you had the screenshot but I think that we both know it's not that hard to get rid of the tag just for a screenshot :D
Look, I've made my own! :D
3.png

FINISHED:
A2:[Watch an anime from the current season] → Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress Movie: The Battle of Unato
N3:[Watch a fantasy anime] → Pikachu and the Pokemon Band
I5:[Watch an anime by Studio Deen] → KonoSuba – God's blessing on this wonderful world!!

E2:[Watch an anime movie] --> Colorful (2010)

animesweat.gif
Whoops that was supposed to be Hi Score Girl: Extra Stage. I'd like to blame Word but I suppose I should blame my eyesight

FINISHED:
APPROVED! You have 364 delicious points. I blame Word for everything though so your eyesight is safe!:D

OMG, I dont know how you sat through that one.

It was a whole lot better than Colorful which popped up when I was looking for Eevee and Colorful Friends {guess it doesn't have a page on AP..couldn't find it}.
Shortish long story: I was looking up the anime to show someone why Jolteon, Flareon, and Vaporeon are the best evolution of Eeevee and why I don't support the others.

Anyways, both Colorful and Colorful (2010) popped up and I started Colorful first and got less than 30 seconds into it when I exited out.
My poor eyes will not unsee that filth.​

Colorful (2010) though I enjoyed. The main character did something heinous in life and as result the Powers that Be send him back to see his errors.
I recommend it.​
--
It appears that you have already claimed those anime on your 3rd bingo card so you can't use them again.
APPROVED! You have 364 delicious points. I blame Word for everything though so your eyesight is safe!:D

That is it. Starting a new Word now and transferring everything watched and claimed into larger color coded text.
--
FINISHED:
N1:[Watch a shounen anime] --> My Hero Academia - All Might: Rising The Animation {Might as well stick with the series ;}
A4:[Watch an anime that aired last year] → FLCL: Progressive

It was a whole lot better than Colorful which popped up when I was looking for Eevee and Colorful Friends {guess it doesn't have a page on AP..couldn't find it}.
Shortish long story: I was looking up the anime to show someone why Jolteon, Flareon, and Vaporeon are the best evolution of Eeevee and why I don't support the others.

Anyways, both Colorful and Colorful (2010) popped up and I started Colorful first and got less than 30 seconds into it when I exited out.
My poor eyes will not unsee that filth.​

Colorful (2010) though I enjoyed. The main character did something heinous in life and as result the Powers that Be send him back to see his errors.
I recommend it.​
--

That is it. Starting a new Word now and transferring everything watched and claimed into larger color coded text.
--
FINISHED:
N1:[Watch a shounen anime] --> My Hero Academia - All Might: Rising The Animation {Might as well stick with the series ;}
A4:[Watch an anime that aired last year] → FLCL: Progressive

Haha nice Pokemon story. Eeevee is cute. But, I hated Colorful. Eeeeek.

BTW I used spreed sheet for my anime challenges. I know, kinda nerdy, but it works. Maybe try that?

Anybody got any recs for isekai/person in a strange world https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/tags/person-in-a-strange-world animes? I'm typically not as interested in those, especially the 'thrown into a video game' ones, but I'm sure there are ones I'm overlooking. Tell me your faves!

I properly am going to throw in a couple of the obvious ones that some people are going to suggest and that is Konosuba and That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime as they are shows that I personally enjoyed that fits this genre.

Yays.

All right I'm ready to spend some points again.
@MistLiigh
I'm taking control of your signature.

With this
Wjwz99b.png
Alright, it has been added to my sig, not to be removed any sooner than Tuesday 5/28 around 3:40PM ET, and the points deducted!

I have to ask: what is this from?
FINISHED:
A1:[Watch an anime based on a novel or light novel] → Future Boy Conan {Novel}
M1:[Write a public review for an anime] → Accel World: Infinite Burst
A3:[Watch an anime from the 00’s] → Konjiki no Gash Bell!! Hashire Gash!! Ubawareta Umagon
M3:[Write a public review for an anime] → Memory of Red
APPROVED! This partially offsets the points spent on your reward, totaling out to an even 400 F U T U R E points!
I5:[Watch an anime you’ve never seen] → Portrait
This one's out I'm afraid: all I can see in the feed is where you've marked this watched 3 times, which would suggest you have seen it before. Also, technically it's valid in that it doesn't have the shorts tag at this time, but you're playing with fire seeing as the tag would fit and could potentially be added before we look at the claim if you're unlucky.

I sure claim M1 and M3 for the recommendations as I didn't realise that I did a two way with that first one.

Symphogear <--> Madoka Magica
Tenkuu <--> Mars of Destruction
APPROVED! You now have 5 magical points!

Anybody got any recs for isekai/person in a strange world https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/tags/person-in-a-strange-world animes? I'm typically not as interested in those, especially the 'thrown into a video game' ones, but I'm sure there are ones I'm overlooking. Tell me your faves!
KonoSuba and Re:Zero are interesting takes on isekai: both deconstruct the tropes, but in very different ways. KonoSuba turns it into a wacky gag comedy that's actually really funny, whereas Re:Zero twists things in the opposite direction in the same way as Madoka Magica did for magical girls or Evangelion for mecha.

I know you said the video game ones in particular were not to your taste, but depending on the reasons for that, you may or may not consider giving .hack//SIGN a chance. It came well before SAO popularized the idea and associated it heavily with certain tropes that some find substantially less enjoyable than the masses, and instead takes a slower, more cerebral, and at times despairing angle toward the concept. So if your problems are with the harems and over-powered main characters and heavy action and games that don't actually make sense, then the .hack// franchise might not rub you the wrong way; but if none of that matters and you just don't like the video game aspect as a whole, then it may not be the choice for you.

Back