Daily Anime Thoughts

DAT: @Franconator paragraph about Grave of the Fireflies had me thinking about In this Corner of the World that I watched on Netflix last summer. Gave me a lot of GotF vibes. Definitely nowhere near as...grim, but it has moments to rival Grave, specifically after the USAAF firebombs Kure for the first time. I really enjoy those dramas with the Pacific War in the background, as opposed to the main event. I just wish there were more of them, or that the anime industry writ large took dramatic character studies more seriously.

That fucking movie is a subdued masterpiece to me. It's angle to war and how it showed people living their lives during the time in a sort of slice of life way to me was so fresh. Rather than focus on the melodramatics and being a war epic, it was more about the smaller scale struggles and problems that people went through. It builds this uneasy tension and when shit did hit the maximum roof in it, it hit like a fucking truck and made it that much more impactful to me. So many feels with In this Corner of the world.

d a t: i started watching violet evergarden as of last night, as its been somthing ive wanted to watch for a really long time, and I really have to say that art style is really so beautiful, and most likely one of my favorites. There's something so visually satisfying to be to see the color palettes and aesthetics that make the art style really memorable to me. Also i do enjoy the whole 3 episodes ive watched thus far. Ive got high hopes for this one.

DAT: I have undropped Brain Powerd. I have no idea how many years ago I tried this the first time.

I already know it's an Eva-clone, and not even a good one. My curiosity wants to see how bad it is all the way through. Who knows, maybe it will have some redeeming qualities... if I can ever overlook how bad of an Eva-clone it is. It's gonna be like it's DTAB every day!

Darn it @Vuh and @Gens- you remind me that I bought In this Corner of the World a while back and still haven't watched it. Glad to know you guys liked it. I too love those stories set in wartime that focus on the everyday life of ordinary people just trying to live through it. As you said, not enough stories do that.

@BurntJelly: Brain Powerd, eh? I never really knew what it was supposed to be about, but oh gods, now I have to watch this, you know. As an Eva fan, and a masochist.

DAT: Since I'm watching Sarazanmai anyway, I figured I might as well just dive down the Ikuhara rabbit hole- so I'm watching Utena, Penguindrum and Yurikuma Arashi too. I must just be in the right frame of mind, because I'm really enjoying all of them, despite previously thinking they weren't for me. Either that or Sarazanmai has made them seem practically normal by comparison, haha.

DAT: Since I'm watching Sarazanmai anyway, I figured I might as well just dive down the Ikuhara rabbit hole- so I'm watching Utena, Penguindrum and Yurikuma Arashi too. I must just be in the right frame of mind, because I'm really enjoying all of them, despite previously thinking they weren't for me. Either that or Sarazanmai has made them seem practically normal by comparison, haha.

All aboard the Ikuhara train, choooooooooom choooooo.
Glad you're so into all of them mate. :drinking:

He's always had the best blend of surrealism to me yet very human core to his stories.

-----
DAT:

Getting so hyped for those new LOTGH's movies coming.
My body is not READY FOR KIRCHEIS'S DEATH. :crying:

All aboard the Ikuhara train, choooooooooom choooooo.
Glad you're so into all of them mate. :drinking:

He's always had the best blend of surrealism to me yet very human core to his stories.

Yeah, after reading all of the comments on Sarazanmai (and Utena and Penguindrum had been working on me for a while, since I read a bunch of philosophical stuff on them even though I hadn't seen the shows)- I realized I just wasn't looking at these shows the right way before. I am truly looking forward to seeing all the human drama play out in Ikuhara's weirdly metaphorical yet oddly real way.

-----
DAT: Getting so hyped for those new LOTGH's movies coming.
My body is not READY FOR KIRCHEIS'S DEATH. :crying:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That spoiler actually was a spoiler, and even though I already spoiled myself on this before by accident, you just reminded me of it again. Dang it, now I'm sad.

I realized I just wasn't looking at these shows the right way before. I am truly looking forward to seeing all the human drama play out in Ikuhara's weirdly metaphorical yet oddly real way.
Oof.

For the record, if I ever say this about an "ikuhara does a lolz teh random symbolism" show, you'll all know I got brainwashed.

I recently finished rewatching Bahamut Genesis, and it was as fun as I remember it from the first time. The story is also as stupid as I remember it but I almost don't care about that. I wish I could say the same about Virgin Soul, it's a bit hard to get into it. There is a terrible lack in FAVAROOOs in it and I feel like it takes itself too seriously.

I recently finished rewatching Bahamut Genesis, and it was as fun as I remember it from the first time. The story is also as stupid as I remember it but I almost don't care about that. I wish I could say the same about Virgin Soul, it's a bit hard to get into it. There is a terrible lack in FAVAROOOs in it and I feel like it takes itself too seriously.

The series is better than it has any right to be considering it's based on a mobile card game. Both seasons have their problems, but they're still entertaining watches.

DAT: Still no sign that the Yuru Camp OST will come to western spotify...
cQqK2pc.gif

Recently watched the Eureka Seven movie and something amusing I noticed is that on this site, it has middling to positive reviews but on Letterboxd it has absolutely negative reviews...and for some reason gives it the pre-title of Psalms of Planets.

Recently watched the Eureka Seven movie and something amusing I noticed is that on this site, it has middling to positive reviews but on Letterboxd it has absolutely negative reviews...and for some reason gives it the pre-title of Psalms of Planets.
This is just a guess, but it may have to do with how few people bother with marking anime entries on that site, especially given they don't have everything anime. Also Psalms of Planets is just the translation of the original Japanese title Koukyoushihen: Eureka Seven. Funi has it licensed as Eureka Seven only though.

DAT: Watching four Ikuhara anime side by side, I'm getting an interesting look at different ways he tells stories. So far, I think Utena and Yurikuma feel the most like fairytales- whereas Penguindrum and Sarazanmai feel more grounded in reality, despite the more abstract visuals. One thing that had kept me from watching Utena and Yurikuma was that I'm neither a fan of magical girls nor female-centric shows- luckily neither of these shows seems to fall into the things I dislike about those types of anime. I'm finding the scene repetition lends a sort of continuity to the stories- it may grow tiresome, but for now, I don't mind it.

Last edited:
DAT: Now that I'm caught up with the Yakusoku no Neverland manga, I kinda wanna watch the anime. Only, I'm too lazy to watch S1, so part of me just wants to start watching from S2 when it airs next year. Except my completionist brain hates that idea too much.

Also, I'm genuinely curious: what's the general consensus on Emma? I really like her, but in some ways she reminds me of Eren (only smart and less angry) and I'm used to my tastes in characters going against the popular opinion so uhhh... I can't tell lol.

Ray's best boy though.

Back