Gaming Discussion Thread

Holy SHIT.

Hmm, for PS2 emulation you need system BIOS files, did you have those? If not you have to download them and put them in the proper folder.
I had downloaded them just like it showed in the tutorial, but the emulator wouldn't read them. However, I do remember PCSX2 telling me that I had to download the BIOS files from my own PS2 and that I couldn't get them from the internet, so maybe that's why? Maybe the emulator changed for legal reasons over the years? I don't know man, I'm just speculating. I don't even know what BIOS files actually are, all I could do was follow the tutorial and pray it would work XD

I had downloaded them just like it showed in the tutorial, but the emulator wouldn't read them. However, I do remember PCSX2 telling me that I had to download the BIOS files from my own PS2 and that I couldn't get them from the internet, so maybe that's why? Maybe the emulator changed for legal reasons over the years? I don't know man, I'm just speculating. I don't even know what BIOS files actually are, all I could do was follow the tutorial and pray it would work XD
The ones you downloaded from the internet will work fine. You have to put them in the correct folder and there's a configuration menu you use to select the specific BIOS (I forget where this menu is)

The ones you downloaded from the internet will work fine. You have to put them in the correct folder and there's a configuration menu you use to select the specific BIOS (I forget where this menu is)
Hmm, guess I'll look more into it and try again. But then again, I doubt my computer is fit for an emulator: it can barely run MS paint without lagging, let alone Persona 3. Still though, it's worth a shot lol

Either way, thanks!

For some reason on Saturday I spent some time trying to achieve a long-term goal: Winning the Ninjaland track in Snowboard Kids using the Iceboard.

... so close ... if only the stupid snowman bomb hit that jerk!!!!

Winning in this game is 95% luck... and the NPCs cheat.

By long-term I mean I have been trying to do this off and on (mostly off) for like 6 years now (I don't think I had tried for at least 2 years).

:flip:

Assassin's Creed Odyssey is pretty alright so far after about 2 hours. Doesn't blow my mind or anything but at least it's decent. The side quests are nice too.

First 2 hours are nice and all but once you leave Kephallonia... damn, was it amazing. I'm a sucker for ancient Greece and Odyssey was a constant eyegasm to me. Still prefer Origins because Egypt but this one easily has the better story (made better when playing as Kassandra) and hunting Kosmos cultists is just too much fun.

Annual replay of Bloodlines is happening, folks! One day I'll even try a Tremere or Nosferatu!

Assassin's Creed Odyssey is pretty alright so far after about 2 hours. Doesn't blow my mind or anything but at least it's decent. The side quests are nice too.
The starter island is meh, but once you get past that, fuck yeah, sparta kick every motherfucker in sight!

Annual replay of Bloodlines is happening, folks! One day I'll even try a Tremere or Nosferatu!

It's been another year already? Time for the annual check of my corrupted Gangrel save and seeing if there's still a way to save it. Otherwise I think I'll play Malkavian this time, fuck everything.

The starter island is meh, but once you get past that, fuck yeah, sparta kick every motherfucker in sight!
I... actually didn't get sparta kick xD I got bull rush instead but I might respec later since this seems like one of those games where that's beneficial at higher levels.

Was talking to Hasse earlier about disappointing games, and I said Final Fantasy XII was my biggest ever disappointment.

It's the game that I had hyped up myself more than any, it had all this awesome design work and it just looked like a real, 21st century Final Fantasy game. Then I played it and hated the MC, had no investment in its dull plot, and thought the gameplay (particularly the combat system) was utter shite. I remember finishing it and wanting to scream because it just didn't feel like an FF game in any respect, it had none of the magic, both literally (because every other FF game had a large magical aspect as part of the plot), and figuratively. And goddamn was it a slog to get through.

Anyone else want to weigh in?

Was talking to Hasse earlier about disappointing games, and I said Final Fantasy XII was my biggest ever disappointment.

It's the game that I had hyped up myself more than any, it had all this awesome design work and it just looked like a real, 21st century Final Fantasy game. Then I played it and hated the MC, had no investment in its dull plot, and thought the gameplay (particularly the combat system) was utter shite. I remember finishing it and wanting to scream because it just didn't feel like an FF game in any respect, it had none of the magic, both literally (because every other FF game had a large magical aspect as part of the plot), and figuratively. And goddamn was it a slog to get through.

FFXII is my only FF game, but I never finished it. It was such a hassle, and I spent hours chaining coeurls and mirrorknights. It's a crying shame so much is wasted on Vaan and the Star Wars rip-off plot, because they sure made Ivalice seem like a rad and happening place, and the audiovisuals really was like you said: they made you feel like you got your cool, current gen gaming experience on.

My biggest gaming disappointment is harder to pin down, but I must admit I'm more disappointed in myself for not being able to immerse myself in RPGs these days. I've left both Deadfire and Kingmaker behind me, and the Infinity Engine magic will never re-appear for me. The only exception is Wasteland 2, due to its gritty nature, general silliness, and turn-based combat. Real-time with pause stopped being fun with Baldur's Gate 2.

FFXII is my only FF game, but I never finished it. It was such a hassle, and I spent hours chaining coeurls and mirrorknights. It's a crying shame so much is wasted on Vaan and the Star Wars rip-off plot, because they sure made Ivalice seem like a rad and happening place, and the audiovisuals really was like you said: they made you feel like you got your cool, current gen gaming experience on.

I am adamant that Balthier and Ashe were the real protagonists of that game, much like Auron was a much more interesting protagonist than Tidus from FFX. The only reason Vaan and Panelo were even worth a damn was because you could buff their melee stats to stupid levels. Oh yeah, and Bosche's character development was fantastically interesting as well. It really hurt having every single dramatic, tender, or otherwise touching moment in the game ruined by Vaan's childishness and inability to think about the big picture.

Don't get me started! Last year it was Darksiders 3 and Vault 76.

Darksiders is my all time favorite game series, Zelda for adults. Demons and Angels fighting and gnarly monsters roaming around on earth... drawn by my all time favorite artist, Joe Mad. To see their publisher go under, them struggling to find a new buyer and then seeing my fav artist jump ship on his own project should have been the moment to say to not invest in the next one. Game finally gets picked up by another publisher and plenty of people are getting excited again... Picked up the game and I've never been so disappointed in a game purchase. Not only do we get a nagging main character, they changed the attitudes of the previous main characters and they manage to fuck up the game so badly that you get loading screen every 5 seconds... even in the middle of fights. Literally unplayable.

Pfftttt...

And Vault 76 just confirmed for me that some games just aren't meant to be multiplayer games and after keeping an eye on Elder Scrolls Online, I'm just scared to see what they're gonna do to the next Skyrim.

The conversions from old SNES/PS1 games to the PC, as a massive fan of pixelart it hurts me so much to see how scuffed the 'HD' remakes are. https://www.fortressofdoors.com/doing-an-hd-remake-the-right-way-ffvi-edition/

That game nearly put me to sleep last time I tried to play it!

I never did finish FF XII. I got bored about halfway through. The same happened with XIII and that's when I had to admit modern FF games probably just weren't for me. I lost interest in JRPGs as a whole when they dropped turn based combat for a Frankenstein combination of action and turn based combat that is the worst of both worlds. It's not satisfying like third person action combat and it's got too much going on for the careful consideration that could go into turn based combat.

Back