Blade of the Immortal (2019)

A new adaptation of Blade of the Immortal manga. Sauce: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...ki-samura-blade-of-the-immortal-manga/.146511

Damn, should I watch the 2008 version or should I wait for this one.

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT FUCKING WATCH THE 2008 VERSION. Holy crap, I dislike the 2008 adaptation. It didn't get any of the awesomeness of the manga right for me and it toned down things considerably. I'm welcoming a new adaptation with open arms and hoping it's better, because that 2008 Bee train anime was disappointing as fuck. I'm sure if link was around these days, he'd completely agree with me.

Last edited:
ABSOLUTELY DO NOT FUCKING WATCH THE 2008 VERSION. Holy crap, I hate the 2008 adaptation. It didn't get any of the awesomeness of the manga right for me and it toned down things considerably. I'm welcoming a new adaptation with open arms and hoping it's better, because that 2008 Bee train anime was disappointing as fuck. I'm sure if @LinkSword was around these days, he'd completely agree with me.
That's one bullet dodged.

On the one hand, it's cool they're giving this another shot, since Blade of the Immortal is such a cool manga. Guess that's the silver lining of the industry running out of ideas: going back in time looking for things to adapt that were worth a damn.

On the other hand, it's probably going to be low budget and still censored. BotI is not short of fucked up content in both the gore and sexual departments, and I doubt they'd leave that untouched. As for the animation itself, Berserk's new iterations have forever scarred us seinen fans and it'd take a lot of blood-pumping promotion to remove my skepticism. It's never gonna look as good as the manga's art - that's not the point. But make it slick and fucking competent or don't do it at all.

On the one hand, it's cool they're giving this another shot, since Blade of the Immortal is such a cool manga. Guess that's the silver lining of the industry running out of ideas: going back in time looking for things to adapt that were worth a damn.

On the other hand, it's probably going to be low budget and still censored. BotI is not short of fucked up content in both the gore and sexual departments, and I doubt they'd leave that untouched. As for the animation itself, Berserk's new iterations have forever scarred us seinen fans and it'd take a lot of blood-pumping promotion to remove my skepticism. It's never gonna look as good as the manga's art - that's not the point. But make it slick and fucking competent or don't do it at all.

Hurts my soul to admit how right you are. Tfw, there's going to be no justice for Makie Otonotachibana. :crying:

That reminds me what a goddam anomaly Shigerui's adaptation was. It feels like the only extremely gritty adaptation I actually loved.

You could skip the 2008 but there was a 2017 live-action adaptation that I enjoyed quite a bit. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5084170/ Different than the manga but still a fun time.

This was alright. A bit long, but alright. I think they're only making this remake because the live-action movie was so alright.

Thanks for the heads-up on the first anime adaptation, by the way. I remember watching an episode before but dropping it afterwards. I've been meaning to get back to it after seeing the live-action, but I guess I'm not doing that anymore.

Confirmed for fall 2019. PV:

Also studio Liden : /

Liden is pretty eeew I have to admit for Blade of the Immortal. However they did get Hiroshi Hamazaki as director who has done Stein's Gate, Texnolyze and Shigurui but Terra Formers was pretty bad............hmmmmmm:

Batman-Chin-Rub.gif

Fuck it, I want to see what Hamazaki can do with this.

Last edited:
I mean honestly, Hamasaki is hit or miss. Same with the other director for Steins;Gate (Takuya Sato); they have a recurring on-and-off relationship with making either trash or decent material. I think the same is true for LIDEN, cuz I personally liked Arslan Senki a lot, and the trailer for that new Arad Senki thing they're working on had some pretty decent looking fight animations so at the very least I expect a satisfactory work.

Okay, that actually looks (and sounds) pretty badass. Those first few shots of heads getting split screamed Shigurui to me, which only makes sense if Hamasaki is helming this.

Hamasaki's direction for his three works I love (Steins;Gate, Texhnolyze and Shigurui) has many strong points, but I think a heavy atmosphere is the best of them all. Even for a work with multiple directors such as S;G you can tell exactly where his influence lies, with the moody feel, grey-laden color palette and interesting camera angles + effects that add to the unsettling nature of the works. If he hasn't lost his touch (which that trailer would suggest) this can be a hell of a fun ride.

Skepticism levels cautiously lowered.

Last edited:
Okay, that actually looks (and sounds) pretty badass. Those first few shots of heads getting split screamed Shigurui to me, which only makes sense if Hamasaki is helming this.

Hamasaki's direction for his three works I love (Steins;Gate, Texhnolyze and Shigurui) has many strong points, but I think a heavy atmosphere is the best of them all. Even for a work with multiple directors such as S;G you can tell exactly where his influence lies, with the moody feel, grey-laden color palette and interesting camera angles + effects that add to the unsettling nature of the works. If he hasn't lost his touch (which that trailer would suggest) this can be a hell of a fun ride.

Skepticism levels cautiously lowered.

Yeah his oppressive style of direction is really unmistakable to me and to be fair to Liden films, I think they are actually capable of quality animation. Hanebado may have sucked a lot but it sure looked pretty though.

Of course people will bring up Terraformers with Hamasaki but that material was so bad in the first place, it was beyond salvaging anyway.

Last edited:
Of course people will bring up Terraformers with Hamasaki but that material was so bad in the first place, it was beyond salvaging anyway.

Remember when they changed directors for the second season. They made everything bright and colorful. The show become an incoherent Dragon Ball Z clone. It almost made me appreciate the darker tone of the first season.

Terra Formars was always going to suck and most every director has less than stellar work. He's done plenty of other work to make me believe Blade is in the right hands.

Back