Sing "Yesterday" for Me

Of the new shows I was interested in, this season, I was looking forward to this one the most.

And, after one episode...
giphy.gif

I mean, we've got the listless failure (check!) who feels utterly disillusioned with everything (check!), the unrequited love-interest (check!) who's clearly only unrequited because her own issues prevent her from admitting her own feelings (check!), and the juuuuust this side of manic-pixie-dream-girl (check!) stumbling outta her own trauma to be the soul mate the MC thought he'd never find (check!).

It's like they've made this show just for me.

And it's not just that it hit so many of the ol' interregnum buttons, either. It was a solidly executed setup, too, telling us who everyone is and what they're like simply, clearly, and without needing to rely on a big narration-based exposition dump (though, it did use that trick a little bit, as well). And, if you'll allow me a what is surely a very subjective note: gosh that animation style felt satisfying.

As always, there's a 100 different ways this could go horribly wrong and break my heart, but...for an opening episode, we seem pretty well set for success.

Glasses version = better.
Agreed.

it kinda has the same vibe as true tears?
Definitely a structural similarity, in terms of the (presumed) love triangle. I mean, I defaulted to thinking of A Town Where You Live, for some reason, but yes, True Tears is a good comparison.

Let's hope things end a little better, with this one.

iu

Does...this show take place in the '90s?

The cassette tape and Walkman, CRT television in the MC's apartment, chorded push-button phone also in the MC's apartment...not a cell phone to be seen anywhere.

I couldn't see any dates that had a year on it, when I went back to check. But...it's apparently the middle of February, if the "alumni reunion" invitation is to be trusted.

Of the new shows I was interested in, this season, I was looking forward to this one the most.

And, after one episode...
giphy.gif

I mean, we've got the listless failure (check!) who feels utterly disillusioned with everything (check!), the unrequited love-interest (check!) who's clearly only unrequited because her own issues prevent her from admitting her own feelings (check!), and the juuuuust this side of manic-pixie-dream-girl (check!) stumbling outta her own trauma to be the soul mate the MC thought he'd never find (check!).

It's like they've made this show just for me.

And it's not just that it hit so many of the ol' interregnum buttons, either. It was a solidly executed setup, too, telling us who everyone is and what they're like simply, clearly, and without needing to rely on a big narration-based exposition dump (though, it did use that trick a little bit, as well). And, if you'll allow me a what is surely a very subjective note: gosh that animation style felt satisfying.

As always, there's a 100 different ways this could go horribly wrong and break my heart, but...for an opening episode, we seem pretty well set for success.

Agreed.

Definitely a structural similarity, in terms of the (presumed) love triangle. I mean, I defaulted to thinking of A Town Where You Live, for some reason, but yes, True Tears is a good comparison.

Let's hope things end a little better, with this one.

iu

Does...this show take place in the '90s?

The cassette tape and Walkman, CRT television in the MC's apartment, chorded push-button phone also in the MC's apartment...not a cell phone to be seen anywhere.

I couldn't see any dates that had a year on it, when I went back to check. But...it's apparently the middle of February, if the "alumni reunion" invitation is to be trusted.

Columbo gif gets a like

Episode 1:

It's well presented. The music is lovely, the art style is expressive and animation isn't bad.

Which is why it's a shame that's it's all wasted on a pretentious indie rom-com. It strains credibility that not just one, but two different women would be attracted to this mewling waste of skin. The internal monologues of the main character just make me roll my eyes. He's a puffed up twat for someone so listless. If only he could redirect all the effort he puts into justifying his pathetic lifestyle he'd probably be a millionaire. Fuck this sad little shart of a human being. People like him are charming only to the young or naive.

The manic pixie dream girl sure is annoying. She's sad too. She's just as pathetic as the main character. She's also just as willing as he is to ramble on about it for what feels like hours at a time. Her only virtue is her pet crow is cute.

I can smell all the dumb misunderstandings that are going to be the life blood of this anime. For all the talking these characters do they don't ever say much and it's never what needs to be said.

Ugh, bottom line is this probably better than most love triangle shows, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Episode 1:

The pilot is just typical sad boy slice of life shenanigans, so it's nothing harmless yet. Crow Girl is annoying, Konbini Bro is giving me Welcome to the NHK flashbacks, and Teacher Lady is... well, she's just there. The art style's nice and comfy, though. I'm not sure how I feel about the story setting up Crow Girl with Konbini Bro, but I'm sticking around to see how this all pans out.

Episode 1:

It's well presented. The music is lovely, the art style is expressive and animation isn't bad.

Which is why it's a shame that's it's all wasted on a pretentious indie rom-com.

Fuck me, that's why I felt something was off the whole time I was watching this.

wasted on a pretentious indie rom-com
Okay, hang on a second--lemme just...

source.gif

[pauses DVD]

It strains credibility that not just one, but two different women would be attracted to this mewling waste of skin.
One is his college crush who probably had a crush on him the whole time, and the other is a girl who is feeling the exact same listlessness and loneliness that he is. And they both have images of him from prior to now that color their perceptions of him, heavily influencing if not overriding whatever objective judgment could be made about who/how he is presently. I think it makes perfect sense that they'd both be interested in him.

Because, to some not insignificant degree, their interest isn't about him but about themselves.

I can smell all the dumb misunderstandings that are going to be the life blood of this anime.
Color me "young or naive," but I'm willing to bet this isn't going to be a show that uses misunderstandings as its main method of filling time. After all, the biggest and most obvious one got shoved out of the way twice, in this episode.

Doesn't mean it won't turn into an archetypal mess, in the next couple of weeks, but I'm not getting those goofy or melodramatic vibes that would usually indicate invocation of a romance's #1 contrivance.

I mean, I'll grant ya pretentious, but not goofy or melodramatic.

The internal monologues of the main character just make me roll my eyes. He's a puffed up twat for someone so listless. If only he could redirect all the effort he puts into justifying his pathetic lifestyle he'd probably be a millionaire. Fuck this sad little shart of a human being. People like him are charming only to the young or naive.

I meeeeeaaaaan... I'm not offended by it. Sure, it's eye-roll inducing at times, but then again, even though I like to think that I've outgrown that stage of my life, there's something... cathartic about seeing it play out on screen? 20-year old college me would be all over this thing, man. Not gonna lie, current me didn't really care for this first episode, but I can see some potential of it being something that's at least somewhat enjoyable.
Absolutely hate the manic pixie dreamgirl trope though, didn't even know that was still a thing.

Back