That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Season 2

Officially announced via the Anime Website -> http://www.ten-sura.com/news/959/
that-time-i-got-reincarnated-as-a-slime-season-2-13096.jpg

Hmm, nice, I guess? I'm quite annoyed by the point they chose to stop the story of season 1, but it's good to know they'll adapt more soon

it's a shame season one is coming to an end so soon, but I've already added season 2 and shall wait patiently for it to appear! it's odd how I like this sort of one and I don't care for some of the other found in said genre. must be that adorable overly powerful fluff slime ball!

it's a shame season one is coming to an end so soon, but I've already added season 2 and shall wait patiently for it to appear! it's odd how I like this sort of one and I don't care for some of the other found in said genre. must be that adorable overly powerful fluff slime ball!

If the good anime were as long as these series world would be a better place though ;-)

Great to hear this, I quite enjoyed the series. I can relate as a writer as to the last transitional choice, from a plot position I understand the need to finish a character arc that was left in the dust. I think people's expectations were higher than what it should have been, I understand why people are upset at the last arc. But to be honest from my perspective I think the last arc couldn't have been written any better without cutting out the whole story arc of Shizu. The only argument I will accept is if someone rewrote the whole arc to include Shizu's backstory. I will not accept judging a writers transition without proper understanding of writing itself. I have excused this writer because I understand the importance of finishing character arcs and it should feel like coming down from a mountain not going higher up the mountain, the next mountain is coming. I understand his style of story telling, I don't think it's as flawed as people think, just not what people expected.

Great to hear this, I quite enjoyed the series. I can relate as a writer as to the last transitional choice, from a plot position I understand the need to finish a character arc that was left in the dust. I think people's expectations were higher than what it should have been, I understand why people are upset at the last arc. But to be honest from my perspective I think the last arc couldn't have been written any better without cutting out the whole story arc of Shizu. The only argument I will accept is if someone rewrote the whole arc to include Shizu's backstory. I will not accept judging a writers transition without proper understanding of writing itself. I have excused this writer because I understand the importance of finishing character arcs and it should feel like coming down from a mountain not going higher up the mountain, the next mountain is coming. I understand his style of story telling, I don't think it's as flawed as people think, just not what people expected.
As a writer you know the most basic principle of the story arc then, right? Isn't it weird and anticlimactic to put the climax into the second arc and letting the rest of the story just simmer out?

As a writer you know the most basic principle of the story arc then, right? Isn't it weird and anticlimactic to put the climax into the second arc and letting the rest of the story just simmer out?

It depends on what your aim is, but the problem still requires you to deal with the children that Shizu presents to sir Slime. I mean sure you could have made it a roundabout way to expand his Country, but I am unsure how I would have written it differently. It may seem like its weird because it's only one season. I think the ways stories are told it normally reaches a plane where it's just a neutral zone nothing is really happening, this was more of a wrapping up of small things that weren't addressed because of the fast pacing that it started out with. I think the problem will fix itself with a second season. I do agree it's uncommon but not unusual, I mean we see it in The Hobbit(LOTR) and Starwars where the Climax is told first and then the anticlimatic stuff is told afterward. I am of the view that a similar style was attempted here, but people had different expectations.

It depends on what your aim is, but the problem still requires you to deal with the children that Shizu presents to sir Slime. I mean sure you could have made it a roundabout way to expand his Country, but I am unsure how I would have written it differently. It may seem like its weird because it's only one season. I think the ways stories are told it normally reaches a plane where it's just a neutral zone nothing is really happening, this was more of a wrapping up of small things that weren't addressed because of the fast pacing that it started out with. I think the problem will fix itself with a second season. I do agree it's uncommon but not unusual, I mean we see it in The Hobbit(LOTR) and Starwars where the Climax is told first and then the anticlimatic stuff is told afterward. I am of the view that a similar style was attempted here, but people had different expectations.
I mean, you say it's just one season, but it's actually 2 cour. If you have the climax after 15 episodes or so, let the rest of the story just simmer out and throw some gaiden at the end for good measure, then there is something seriously off.

There are several ways how you could have solved it without changing the source material:
- Don't rush in the middle part like they did, flesh it out and make the last arc more concise.
- Put the gaiden stories in the middle and have the climax later, use a more concise children arc as an epilogue.
- Switch it up. Do the children earlier and the arc before that as a season finale.
ecetera.
And they didn't even had to wrap that up at this point. Shizu's story is not over until he confronts that demon lord, so there was no reason to rush the children's arc into the first season. Also, the children played no role outside of their own arc before and by keeping them away in that other country it doesn't seem that they will play a role in the future either. So what was the point in the first place?

Don't misunderstand me, I liked the children's arc, I'm a sucker for interesting filler and slice of life episodes in such shows. But it's really no good idea to end a show on them.
Also, the examples you used with LOTR and Star Wars don't really fit. Because
1. an epilogue between two seasons doesn't make sense.
2. Here it was 1/6 of the whole show. The epilogue in LOTR and SW is only 1/18 to 1/20 of the story, if you are generous.

Like I said, it's not that I disliked that arc, but the execution was just botched. Also sorry for the wall of text, you brought up so many points worth commenting on and I didn't want to just ignore them to keep it brief.

I mean, you say it's just one season, but it's actually 2 cour. If you have the climax after 15 episodes or so, let the rest of the story just simmer out and throw some gaiden at the end for good measure, then there is something seriously off.

There are several ways how you could have solved it without changing the source material:
- Don't rush in the middle part like they did, flesh it out and make the last arc more concise.
- Put the gaiden stories in the middle and have the climax later, use a more concise children arc as an epilogue.
- Switch it up. Do the children earlier and the arc before that as a season finale.
ecetera.
And they didn't even had to wrap that up at this point. Shizu's story is not over until he confronts that demon lord, so there was no reason to rush the children's arc into the first season. Also, the children played no role outside of their own arc before and by keeping them away in that other country it doesn't seem that they will play a role in the future either. So what was the point in the first place?

Don't misunderstand me, I liked the children's arc, I'm a sucker for interesting filler and slice of life episodes in such shows. But it's really no good idea to end a show on them.
Also, the examples you used with LOTR and Star Wars don't really fit. Because
1. an epilogue between two seasons doesn't make sense.
2. Here it was 1/6 of the whole show. The epilogue in LOTR and SW is only 1/18 to 1/20 of the story, if you are generous.

Like I said, it's not that I disliked that arc, but the execution was just botched. Also sorry for the wall of text, you brought up so many points worth commenting on and I didn't want to just ignore them to keep it brief.

I agree with you, but let me be very direct. In the Anime Industry at the moment if your Anime isn't at the top for the first 12 weeks you are going to suffer losses. As an editor I would reject this suggestion, because it won't bring in the maximum amount of profit. Sadly making shows is not commonly for the sake of good story telling, it's for making money. I agree it could get fixed like that, but realistically that's not what the majority wanted. I think a lot of people would have complained because of the jaggedness adding it earlier, even though it would have been decent and a more consistent flow. I agree that it's an easy fix from that perspective, but you have to keep the editor and their ideals in mind not just the artistic ideals. (Sadly)

The first season quite literally adapted the manga arc for arc in order, minus cutting some chunks out here and there. It was around 80-90ish% faithful to the material it was adapting.

Personally i preferred the manga to the anime adaption. (I've not read the Novel to comment on that, not that it matters since the anime was adapted from the manga instead of the novel according to Kadokawa) Not due to the poor decisions in adapting it to another medium (Other than the story changes they made to cut shit out, i hated all of those, especially the last story episode) but mostly the change in focus of how the story was told which was much more light hearted and comedic than the manga went with.

there are massive differences between the anime and the manga, and more so between the manga and the LN. There are also differences between the LN and the WN, but let's not be too fussy.
To be more precise, the anime is much closer to the manga than the manga is to the LN.
In particular the major difference is in the personality of all main characters, which is a shame; Rimuru is way more wary of the surroundings, he is constantly thinking about strategies, and is closer to Ainz than one can suspect by only watching the anime. Veldora? in the anime he is a tsundere clown, in the LN he exudes power, wisdom and charisma beyond any comprehension (and since we are immediately told the immensity of his power, all his choices make sense - something that cannot be said in the anime: like letting yourself be absorbed by a slime you just met? really? it makes no sense this way, but in the LN there is a precise reason), Milim in the anime is dumb and childish, in the LN she is unpredictable but smart.... well I could go on and on but you get the picture.

eh, even in the novel equivalents of the parts that have been adapted so far, she didn't exactly seem smart
well okay maybe "smart" is overstretched, but she definitely shows some common sense and the ability to perform boolean logic (IF this THEN that), it can be seen in particular when she deals with other demon lords...

I hope they slow the show down. While I'm tired of keeping up with 500 episode shows, I feel like the power creep was too fast and not enough lore was given in season one. They could have easily put that timeline in 50-70 episodes and not even have filler.

Back