Boogiepop wa Warawanai

Boogiepop Phantom: My Manticore Can't be this Cute
c25242802228af6e96598cdb880b6b0c-png.jpg

I'm not even halfway through episode one and this is turning out to be a massive pile of shit. They traded atmosphere and build up for exposition and more exposition along with still frames and lack of faces in a few parts right now. Oh man what a fucking let down so far.

Episode 1 (yes I'm double posting but fuck it)

That was one of the most horribly executed first episodes I've seen in a long time. No atmosphere, nothing actually interesting, and some bizarre animation choices along with things you'd think they'd outright show on screen, but don't in favor of having characters do the cliched "exposition on the rooftop" thing. I'm gonna watch the second episode and then this is likely going into the dropped pile. The ONLY good thing was the soundtrack.

What a disappointment.

Episode 1 (yes I'm double posting but fuck it)

That was one of the most horribly executed first episodes I've seen in a long time. No atmosphere, nothing actually interesting, and some bizarre animation choices along with things you'd think they'd outright show on screen, but don't in favor of having characters do the cliched "exposition on the rooftop" thing. I'm gonna watch the second episode and then this is likely going into the dropped pile. The ONLY good thing was the soundtrack.

What a disappointment.
The 1st episode really was a massive disappointment... The 2nd is at least better, but I'm not sure it's as good as I wanted, and it makes me sad :(

The 1st episode really was a massive disappointment... The 2nd is at least better, but I'm not sure it's as good as I wanted, and it makes me sad :(
Yeah. Episode 2 was better and in my opinion should have been Episode 1. As bland and dull as most of episode 2 is it's at least slightly engaging. Still underwhelming but not the fucking disaster that episode 1 is.

If this turns around later on maybe I'll pick it up again, but for now it's going on the dropped pile with one star. At least the soundtrack is solid.

This reminds me of the Aku no Hana situation. A bunch of questionable design choices and "What did they do to the original?!" cries but apparently it became compelling later on?
I don't know, I never could get past Aku no Hana's weird look. But hopefully Boogiepop gets its act together.

*sigh*

Episode 3:
I'm reconsidering whether I really want those LN omnibus releases now... if this is more accurate to the LNs than the 2000 adaptation, then it's not worth the money.

At its peak, this has been pretty mediocre. Which is sad, I wanted to love this so badly, but alas, it doesn't seem to be in the cards...

Still less disappointing than Hell Girl season 4 though, so at least it has that going for it...

03:

Man, this STILL FUCKING BLOWS and I still dunno why I should care about anything. This show feels dare I say completely amateurish in it's presentation. The weak animation only further strongly enforces that feeling. Like hey, the Kino reboot wasn't perfect, but at least it had GOOD episodes. Honestly, it's attempts at being unsettling fall flat on it's ass. This is gonna be a long 18 episodes.

Episodes 1 and 2

I had never heard of this series before, so I went in completely blind. So far...its ok. I actually liked episode 1 better then episode 2, since I found the main two characters in episode 1 to be more interesting. I'm at least curious as to what Boogiepop is and the character was interesting, while the evil guy and the manticore in episode 2 are a bit bland. The show could go either way, but right now the show is ok.

Episode 3: This goofball might be one of the very few that's enjoying himself with this show.

Of course there are plenty of things to complain about and I can understand that it's not living up to people's expectations but I'm actually enjoying the odd pacing and the out of sequence story telling.

Episode 3: This goofball might be one of the very few that's enjoying himself with this show.

Of course there are plenty of things to complain about and I can understand that it's not living up to people's expectations but I'm actually enjoying the odd pacing and the out of sequence story telling.
You should watch the old one from 2000 then... Then you'll really get where all the disappointment's coming from.

I like this adaptation to a degree. However, I'm not sure they really covered all the first novel properly. They might be going to the next two novels, but I don't want them to rush through it... (Books 2 and 3 are both one story.)

Boogiepop Phantom was never really a terribly accurate portrayal of what Boogiepop was all about. It was really just some interconnected side stories that loosely relate to the early volumes.
Honestly if this is truly an accurate adaptation of the light novels, then the original series was a MASSIVE improvement upon that in every way in what they changed.
It's a severely condensed version so far. I've heard from some fans that are ready to disown it already.

Back