Anime Bingo Challenge: Winter 2019

MistLiigh

7rkGiIt.jpg

Hello and welcome to the first ever Anime-Planet Anime Bingo Challenge!
Can you handle these ABCs?

This will be an event that (assuming all goes well) I intend to hold each anime season, as both a competition and a way to hopefully encourage people to keep up their anime watching and maybe try a couple of shows they wouldn’t have watched otherwise. In addition, contribution to the A-P community through discussions, reviews, and recommendations are highly encouraged!

Beginning of Season: January 1st, 2019
End of Season Deadline: March 31st, 2019

View the current scores here!

The Rules
All you have to do to sign up is post in this thread requesting a bingo card at any time before the end of the season (of course, the sooner the better)! Then, as soon as I’m able, I will respond with an image of a randomly generated 5x5 bingo card (with free space) filled with anime watching tasks, which you should save for your convenience.

Then throughout the season, you can claim squares for tasks that you’ve completed during the season by posting here, listing what square(s) you are claiming and any information necessary to verify the task; unless stated otherwise in the task descriptions below, this will simply be the name of the anime you watched. Note that for an anime to count towards a task, you must have both started and finished the series and posted your claim between the beginning of the season and the deadline at the end of the season (listed above). Also, you can only claim any given anime for a single task, and can’t change your claims once they’ve been approved, so choose carefully!

Each square you claim on your bingo card (free space excluded) will earn you 1 point. Each bingo (5-in-a-row in any direction: horizontal, vertical, or diagonal) will net you an extra 5 bonus points, and if you can manage to claim every space on your card, then you’ll score another 20 bonus points! So with 24 tasks, 12 possible bingos, and the “black-out” bonus, each card can be worth as many as 104 points!

But that doesn’t mean you can only earn 104 points per season; if you like, at any time after claiming at least one bingo bonus or at least 10 spaces regardless of bingos, you may request a new card to begin on! However, note that you can only have one active card at a time, and once you’ve been given a new card, you can’t go back and make any claims on a previous one. There are no re-rolls, you get whatever you’re given, so make sure you’re ready for anything! Also, you can't carry a card over from one season to another, so make sure you claim everything you can before the deadline!

At the end of the season, I’ll announce the top scores so you can brag to each other about it! (and maybe I’ll come up with some other reward too, or even things you can “spend” points on… if you have any suggestions, please post about it!)

The Tasks
The tasks that will appear on your bingo card mostly require watching anime. Any anime with a listing on this site will do, so long as it meets any conditions specified by the task. So if the task is to “Watch an anime from the 90’s,” for example, it doesn’t matter if it’s a full series, OVAs, shorts, or even a movie, as long as it aired during the 90’s and has an entry on this site. Likewise, if a time period isn’t specified, then it doesn’t have to be a new show from the current season (though it can be)!

Instead of the letters “B-I-N-G-O,” the columns on your card will be labeled with the letters “A-N-I-M-E.” Each column has a different theme for its tasks, which will be described in more detail below. Note that some tasks may show up more than once on the same card, but you must still complete two separate anime to claim two spaces, even if they are the same task!

Column A - Age & Source
The tasks in this column will ask you to choose an anime based on either when it was released or what type of source material it was adapted from. This information can typically be found on the anime’s page here on A-P: when it aired at the top of the page, and the source among its tags.

Column N - (k)Now Your Genres
This column is all about genres, everything from shounen and shoujo to action and thrillers! All of these genres can be found in the tags on the anime’s entry here, and it must have the matching tag in order to be claimed, so make sure to check beforehand!

Column I - I’ve heard of that!
This column’s tasks tend to be a little less restrictive than the previous two; most of the tasks simply ask you to watch an anime that was made by a well-known studio, whose catalogs you can browse here (it doesn’t matter if there’s more than one studio listed for the series, as long as the one assigned is in the list). However, there are also a couple of oddballs whose rules are worth reading below… Remember too that this column will have your free space!

• Watch an anime under recommendation (For this one, you’ll need to make a post in this thread asking for a recommendation from your fellow ABCers! Make sure to note any no-go’s or must-haves, and quote the response with the recommendation you chose when you claim the square.)
  • Watch an anime you’ve never seen (This one’s almost as good as another free space! Just watch any anime that you haven’t already seen before, as long as you’re not claiming it for any other space.)
  • Watch an anime by Gainax
  • Watch an anime by Bones
  • Watch an anime by Production I.G.
  • Watch an anime by MADHOUSE
  • Watch an anime by Shaft
  • Watch an anime by Studio Deen
  • Watch an anime by J.C. Staff
  • Watch an anime by A-1 Pictures
  • Watch an anime by Sunrise
  • Watch an anime by Toei Animation

Column M - Make A-P Better!
Column M is all about contributing to the Anime-Planet community with reviews and recommendations. All reviews MUST follow all site rules and guidelines, and should generally only be made for series you have either completed or dropped. Similarly, recommendations must be given with some sort of logic. Please don’t make more work for sothis and the mod team by submitting low-quality reviews or spam recommendations just to claim a space. Repeat offenders may find themselves banned from future seasons of ABC.

Take note that the tasks in this column are the exception to a few rules: you can claim a review or recommendation (or both!) for an anime you’re also claiming for a different space, you can claim multiple recommendations for the same series (obviously the other end of the recommendation must be different for each one), and you simply need to submit the review or recommendation during the current season; these do not have to be anime you watched during the season (though it certainly helps if you’ve seen it recently!). When you claim one of these spaces, please include a link to the specific review you’re claiming for a review task, or your recommendations page for a recommendations task (and a list of the specific recommendations claimed). Note that two-way recommendations count as 2 separate recommendations, and that time frames for recommendations can refer to either side of the recommendation.

If you don’t want to get another card, but have made additional anime reviews or recommendations beyond what’s on your card, you can claim additional points for them! 1 point for each additional public review, and 1 point for every 3 additional recommendations. Just make a post providing the usual information, but noting that these are additional. Remember, though, that if you decide to get another card after-all, you won’t be able to change those claims to use them on the new card!

• Write a public review for an anime
  • Add 3 recommendations for anime
  • Write a public review or add 2 recommendations for anime from the current season
  • Write a public review or add 2 recommendations for anime less than 1 year old
  • Write a public review or add 2 recommendations for anime older than 1 year
  • Write a public review or add 2 recommendations for anime older than 5 years
  • Write a public review or add 2 recommendations for anime older than 10 years

Column E - Everything Else
This column is something of a catch-all for tasks that don’t quite fit in the other columns, so there’s a bit of variety, and a likely place for new additions down the road!

• Watch a 10-13 episode anime
  • Watch a 22-26 episode anime
  • Re-watch an anime you’ve seen before
  • Watch an anime with short episodes (12 minute episodes or less, matching the “Short Episodes” tag)
  • Watch an anime movie
  • Watch an anime rated 2 stars or less
  • Watch an anime from your dropped list (you have to finish it to claim this space! If you have nothing on your dropped list, you can default to your stalled or won’t watch lists. If you’re diligent enough to have nothing in any of these lists but still really want to claim this space, then post here explaining this situation and get a recommendation for a show you’ll want to drop!)

Banner
Want to help spread the word about the Anime Bingo Challenge? Well, our fantastic feathery friend @TurkeyGami has generously created a pair of banners just for us! Just include one of the BBCodes below in your signature to tell everyone you know your ABC's!

Code:
[url=https://rebrand.ly/anime8c9d0][img]https://i.imgur.com/7rkGiIt.jpg[/img][/url]

Example:

Code:
[url=https://rebrand.ly/anime8c9d0][img]https://i.imgur.com/IiFpzbO.png[/img][/url]

Example:

Code:
[url=https://rebrand.ly/anime8c9d0][img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/454464554462609408/529295651469787148/ABC.png[/img][/url]

Example:

Last edited:
It's as @Zed60K says, "there is no greater sin than telling a completionist to drop an anime"

just look at my ranked list near the bottom, look at all the terrible horrible shit ive completed, look at how i have boruto rated at a 3/10 and still havent dropped it

You know it in your heart to be true

I see you didn't finish Tokyo Ghoul:re Season 2 though. You fell off son.

Also, Boruto is a nerd. His legs need to get broke.

• Watch an anime from the current season
  • Watch an anime that aired less than 1 year ago (measured from the start of the season)
  • Watch an anime from the 2010’s
  • Watch an anime from the 00’s
  • Watch an anime from the 90’s
  • Watch an anime from the 80’s
  • Watch an anime from the 70’s
  • Watch an original anime
  • Watch an anime based on a manga
  • Watch an anime based on a light novel
  • Watch an anime based on a visual novel
You may want to add hyperlinks to the tasks to direct link to where they can be found for example
"Watch an anime from the current season" if hyperlinked to "https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/seasons/" will always redirect to the current season, "Watch an original anime" to the Original Works Tag, Studios to their studio pages, etc
Since new users to site who want to join may struggle to find what counts for some of these. If you decide to do it and get stuck with any of these feel free to ask me and i can assist in providing the weblink, though some are impossible to do and not have to replace in future challenges.

• Write a public review for an anime from the current season
  • Write a public review for an anime that aired less than 1 year ago (measured from the start of the season)
  • Write a public review for an anime older than 1 year
  • Write a public review for an anime more than 10 years old
  • Add 3 recommendations for anime from the current season
  • Add 3 recommendations for anime that aired less than 1 year ago (measured from the start of the season)
  • Add 3 recommendations for anime older than 1 year
  • Add 3 recommendations for anime more than 10 years old
You may also want to tone these down a little or give more option to them as these are probably where users will struggle or may be put off joining as they are rather steep requests right now and also mention about making twoway recs oppsed to oneway. For reference I personally am put off joining as i dont tend to do either of these at all.

I'd personally change the section to the following:

• Write a public review for an anime
  • Write a public review or add 2 recommendations for an anime that aired less than 1 year ago (measured from the start of the season)
  • Write a public review or add 2 recommendations for an anime from the current season
  • Write a public review or add 2 recommendations for an anime more than 10 years old
  • Write a public review or add 2 recommendations for anime older than 1 year
  • Add 3 recommendations for anime
  • Add a recommendation for anime more than 2 years old
  • Add 2 recommendations for an anime you have previously watched
And perhaps offer bonus points to users who do even more. Dat potential for unlimited points from making lots of high class recs ;D

Last edited:
I'll be getting cards out later tonight, once I get back home. Hang tight!

You may want to add hyperlinks to the tasks to direct link to where they can be found for example
"Watch an anime from the current season" if hyperlinked to "https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/seasons/" will always redirect to the current season, "Watch an original anime" to the Original Works Tag, Studios to their studio pages, etc
Since new users to site who want to join may struggle to find what counts for some of these. If you decide to do it and get stuck with any of these feel free to ask me and i can assist in providing the weblink, though some are impossible to do and not have to replace in future challenges.

You may also want to tone these down a little or give more option to them as these are probably where users will struggle or may be put off joining as they are rather steep requests right now and also mention about making twoway recs oppsed to oneway. For reference I personally am put off joining as i dont tend to do either of these at all.

I'd personally change the section to the following:

And perhaps offer bonus points to users who do even more. Dat potential for unlimited points from making lots of high class recs ;D
Thank you @Grizz for the recommendations to make this more friendly! I think I will incorporate some of these before I send out cards, and then work on adding the links.

Back