Dr. Stone

Damn, not even for a show with a stoned doctor used for the title. You changed.
Actually I don't know anything about this title yet besides that it's based on a popular manga. I just wanted to rebel against the system.

Reactions: Zed
I wrote this before, but I'm not all that hyped about this. If it good, it might re-ignite my interest in the manga though, but we all know the chances of anime adaptations actually being any good...

This had better turn out great, I don't even know what I'll do if it doesn't.
I might have to take the Tsukasa route and hope the future fixes it

This feels like a long-running shounen, but this getting an adaptation after all this time is surprising. He better be alchemizing some mad dope shit

There was a screening for the first episode in Japan.

This was a mistake. The first episode wasn't screened. It won't be aired until the 4th of July.

Last edited:
there was a 2 minute teaser dropped on CR that pretty much sums up my interest in the whole thing. can't wait for it, hopefully it's not overly hyped. from what I could tell, the artwork looks solid, the plot actually looks original, at least I haven't seen it in anything that I've watched and it appears it's going to be society waking up and facing a post apocalyptic setting, one of my favorite genre after all. can't wait. well I am going to wait for the episode to drop on CR in July, it's easier that way so I don't have to take the time to hunt it down on YouTube and it might not be what I'm looking for.

I watched the PV, it's an interesting concept but I'm not sure how I feel about the personalities of these characters. They seem a bit annoying. The art is solid. Guess I'll be picking this one up after all

They dropped a 13 minute long sneak peek and I'm not exactly blown away. Worldbuilding and artstyle are interesting, but the characters so far are not exactly easy to like and the animation is, let's say it politely, poor.
With that art and how the world is crafted, it looks like the manga is good. I just don't know if it's a good adaption, judging from 10 minutes of footage, tbf.

Amazing, this is what I wanted from the anime adaptation, the art has translated well, the pace felt slightly quick but that's fine, and the voice acting is spot on imo. I'm really excited for this, my only worry is how they'll handle the crafting and sciencing scenes, they can't be too quick or too slow with those.

Episode 1
I'm a fan!

Doesn't waste too much time and gets right into it. Pacing seems like it will go well, but more time will tell there. Voice acting seems great so far, soundtrack seems a little basic but inoffensive, we'll see how the rest of it is.

One scene I really liked was the time lapse in developing the anti-stone serum; I feel like the moving character lines is something I've seen a few times in western animation but almost never for anime. I just found that sequence neat and I'd be curious to learn how they produced that.

Opening's okay! Song grew on me a bit and the animation's standard.

I'd call this a solid start.

That was pretty interesting. @ShinShini said based on that sneak peak that the animation was poor but to be honest I saw nothing wrong with it. Then again I've never been too picky about animated details or animation styles.

Also what made me happy was the fact that Fujiwara Keiji seems to be narrator in this series. It's been such a long time I've watched anything where he was casting in and I didn't see him in the list here so I didn't expect to hear his sexy voice. It was for only few seconds but ... yeah... still a nice surprise. Wish he had a bigger role though...

I just hope this anime is not gonna disappoint me later on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Episode 01

I can't imagine being stuck as a stone for 5 hours without losing my sanity, let alone thousands of years. These guys are too strong mentally, either that or it's practically impossible for them to forget their only character trait that each of them has regardless of how much time actually passes.

That said this was a fine watch, not great but I didn't hate it. I can see the concept of a modern man living in what resembles a stone age to have a much faster sense of progress, unlike a show about actual cavemen.

That was pretty interesting. @ShinShini said based on that sneak peak that the animation was poor but to be honest I saw nothing wrong with it. Then again I've never been too picky about animated details or animation styles.
Watch it again and look how often it just has no animation at all. Or where it pans over a stillframe. Or where there's nothing but lipflaps or blinking. Or a character sliding around without animation.

They try to get around it with well-placed animation-loops, quick editing, good ambient sound of nature and so on. They also give good camera angles for really simple and poor walking animations that are basically just the one character sliding up and down. Since the editing is great, they are able to camouflage most of their corner-cutting, but if you pay attention, there is not much animation at all.

That's why I was so polite and simply said the animation is "poor", instead of shitting all over it. Because that's the work of talented people that were simply not given enough time or money. You can see that they gave their best to give the viewer a good experience nonetheless, but still, the animation is definitely not good at all.

Back