Announcing new mobile and design improvements - coming soon: re-branding and redesign announcements

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
Today we’re announcing upcoming branding and design changes to Anime-Planet that have been in the making for some time now.

We will have more concrete branding images and updates to show you in the next few weeks. Anime-Planet has never had a solid brand of its own, and we’re excited to show you the process and results behind a new logo and mascots for the site.

In addition to the branding changes, we’ve been working on a site redesign, in tandem with UX research, to improve Anime-Planet’s usability. The redesign isn’t ready yet, but we aim to release a new anime/manga info page as a first step in the next few months.

In the meantime, today we’ve begun to roll out smaller changes that move towards the final redesign. More announcements and changes to come in the following weeks, leading up to major releases related to the redesign.

Mobile improvements

Site code has been changed for a dramatically better mobile experience when browsing lists of anime and manga. 3 entries wide now fit per row on a mobile screen, and responsiveness when shrinking a browser window now performs much better on many pages.

0evgHML.png

PjQMB0V.png

0tKIuNk.png

Site width

The site content width has increased from 1,000 pixels to 1,200 pixels. We conducted extensive testing on this, and updated the design accordingly to fill in the space better. For example:

• Default “cards” per row is 7 now, instead of 6 (such as on the browse anime or season charts pages).

• 5 recommendations display on the anime/manga entry pages, instead of 4.

• 5 “known for” cards appear on staff pages, instead of 4.

VL0xAVl.png

Circular avatars and status colors

Avatars across the site are now circular, except for your large avatar in your profile.

b81yDlu.png

HwpRvM6.png

The forum avatars are still square for now, but we’ll update some of these to be on-brand in the future.

Status colors for user stats are now circular.

eVLfYWj.png

Many more updates to come in the future - we’re excited to show you Anime-Planet new logo and mascots in the next few weeks. Thanks as always for your support of Anime-Planet!

Awesome that changes are happening, thanks for the update!
Ooo circle icons...
cat_by_rizusaur-d4urj6c.gif

s... so that's what's different...
Yes we're finally no longer squares! Love these changes.
Indeed, we are now circles.

So um, @sothis .... why are you loading 2 different jquery versions? :@_@:
1.9.1 on non-forum pages
1.11.0 on forum pages

Also, the "fallback" hack you have on the non-forum pages doesn't work.

Solution: Just load jquery and jqueryui off your own server. (because security and self-sufficiency, missing integrity attribute, 3rd parties cannot be trusted)

Disclaimer: I do web development and I like to break things!

Edit: I just noticed that names are getting cut off on loved/hated characters on the profile page. It doesn't have the same problem with the Suggestions/Related listings.

Last edited:
Displaying seven cards per row, to me, seems a bit... strange. I think an even number of cards would be easier for users to count and keep track of. Is eight possible? I don't mean to sound picky, since that's my only gripe. I really do like the wider layout and it looks great on my phone.

Also, I noticed that the bottom row on the Watch Anime Online page only has two cards if the list has more than 30 items-- no matter what the filters are.

Displaying seven cards per row, to me, seems a bit... strange. I think an even number of cards would be easier for users to count and keep track of. Is eight possible? I don't mean to sound picky, since that's my only gripe. I really do like the wider layout and it looks great on my phone.

Also, I noticed that the bottom row on the Watch Anime Online page only has two cards if the list has more than 30 items-- no matter what the filters are.

We're going for usability and appearance, not what feels strange or not ;) 7 fills the space well at a decent size, so that's what we set it at.

s... so that's what's different...
Indeed, we are now circles.

So um, @sothis .... why are you loading 2 different jquery versions? :@_@:
1.9.1 on non-forum pages
1.11.0 on forum pages

Also, the "fallback" hack you have on the non-forum pages doesn't work.

Solution: Just load jquery and jqueryui off your own server. (because security and self-sufficiency, missing integrity attribute, 3rd parties cannot be trusted)

Disclaimer: I do web development and I like to break things!

Edit: I just noticed that names are getting cut off on loved/hated characters on the profile page. It doesn't have the same problem with the Suggestions/Related listings.

Feel free to file bugs in the bug forum if you've found problems. If you're a skilled dev potentially consider helping out our extremely limited (atm) dev team as well :) (re: "join the development team" section here: https://www.anime-planet.com/support

Is anyone else experiencing a bug wherein different series in one's lists are differently sized seemingly based on how long the title is?

edit: nm someone else has also experienced it and made a thread, so it's not just me

Last edited:
really like the new design.
talking about design shouldn't UnBoy be removed from the front page it has been there for years literally, the kickstarter also ended years ago.

Brilliant changes, thanks for all the time and effort devs etc. Looking forward to seeing the new branding also!

Glad to see the site is being actively improved! Individual comments:

* Happy to see that the visual density of series lists is now increased, packing things in tighter rather than stretching pages, while also making more use of screen width. Sevens multiplication is a little more complicated but it's also more unique and fun.

* Looking forward to seeing the new logo and mascots! I like the current logo but the current mascot I've been meh about to be honest, so I'm excited to see the next one.

* I actually prefer square avatars; circular avatars can be fine if the site has an avatar cropping tool, but many avatars I've already made for myself are typically cut as squares...and unfortunately, circles can only crop from squares; they can't expand them, so pre-cut square avatars often have bits cropped off. For example, my current avatar was specifically cut for a square avatar, albeit using this sites's avatar cropping tool, and in the circular version you can see how her hair and the edge of her left wing aren't all in the picture. Oh well...

Back