Tsurune

Only a matter of time until they do hockey, where a plucky group of Japanese youth eventually face USA and Canada and get curbstomped because ain't no fucking way they're beating the North American dynasty.
Haha, but you know deep deep down that they will because
Anime logic, determination, Endurance, Fortitude, Perseverance, Willpower and above all Friendship!
That would have to be some absolutely epic writing for that story to be believable in all fairness though.

Haha, but you know deep deep down that they will because
Anime logic, determination, Endurance, Fortitude, Perseverance, Willpower and above all Friendship!
That would have to be some absolutely epic writing for that story to be believable in all fairness though.
I would flip so much shit if they showed Canada losing to Japan in the finals; I would post a giant ass shitpost about the bullshittery that two-episode special was. It would need to be the Shawshank Redemption of writing to make it even remotely plausible and not look like an M. Night Shamalama twist. All those traits you mentioned? A paragraph each on that bullhonkey.

I would flip so much shit if they showed Canada losing to Japan in the finals; I would post a giant ass shitpost about the bullshittery that two-episode special was. It would need to be the Shawshank Redemption of writing to make it even remotely plausible and not look like an M. Night Shamalama twist. All those traits you mentioned? A paragraph each on that bullhonkey.
You're not the only one. Sure, who doesn't love the underdog but be realistic about it. I wouldn't even support the Irish team if they got that far. No one could beat you maple tanks on the ice. A blind man on a galloping horse could see that!

You're not the only one. Sure, who doesn't love the underdog but be realistic about it. I wouldn't even support the Irish team if they got that far. No one could beat you maple tanks on the ice. A blind man on a galloping horse could see that!

youre-amazing-gif-2.gif

To go against your own country for the Canadians makes you an honourary Canadian. I would send you the finest syrup in a can from Quebec if I could.

youre-amazing-gif-2.gif

To go against your own country for the Canadians makes you an honourary Canadian. I would send you the finest syrup in a can from Quebec if I could.
Haha, well it's the truth. Saw my first hockey game there, it was brutal, I loved it, Canada won. Not gonna try argue. Ireland are better at field ball games (probably beat you in football, or as we call it rugby (without padding too ;D)
I do love the syrup from Quebec, ate my weight in it when I was there too. Place also felt like home strangely enough, never felt like that in any of my other travels.
You have me wanting syrup now, damn you!

@Thrawn @ValkyrieNight
After reading your comments I thought this is actually a hockey anime and I got excited for a moment.
Sorry to burst your bubble there. I would really like to see it happen though. @Thrawn is going to make it a reality about how the maple tanks reign supreme on the icy field of battle. Conquering all the plucky would be underdog challengers and steam rolling them into oblivion for their foolishness.
Until the crafty Irish Leprechauns come along and pull the rug out from under ye and whittle ye down te size cos we're only bleedin' massive n' deadly like. Only to find out 'tis all a dream. Canada still win!

Sorry to burst your bubble there. I would really like to see it happen though. @Thrawn is going to make it a reality about how the maple tanks reign supreme on the icy field of battle. Conquering all the plucky would be underdog challengers and steam rolling them into oblivion for their foolishness.
Until the crafty Irish Leprechauns come along and pull the rug out from under ye and whittle ye down te size cos we're only bleedin' massive n' deadly like. Only to find out 'tis all a dream. Canada still win!
Well, my country is an underdog who got some respect lately, so I'd pay to see such as story.

Well, my country is an underdog who got some respect lately, so I'd pay to see such as story.
Are you Latvia riding high on the time where you upset Switzerland and held gold medal favorites Canada 1-1 until the last few minutes, blocking 50+ shots and having your goalie treated for dehydration in 2014 Sochi Olympics?

Why. The. Heck. Are. You. Talking. About. Hockey. In. A. Kyudo. Related. Anime. Thread.

Anyway, as a kyudoka I'm kinda eager to see which side of kyudo they are gonna show in here.
Accuracy over anything else, which some of japanese highschools tend to enforce?
Mental, spiritual and physical self-developement, which I could call my own goal?
Can't wait to see it <3

PS. Please no LN spoilers.

Woot! CR just announced they'll be streaming Tsurune World Wide except Asia!

Now I can finally add this to my watch list! >:3

I never read any of the source materials, but I do enjoy stories where the MCs are involved in archery.

This looks kinda cute and peaceful. I might wanna see it, I'll see what other people think of it.

Episode 1

I was so hyped going into this but this episode felt frustrating above all else.
I'm so down for a beautiful KyoAni archery show with a bunch of cute boys, but half of the cast seem like complete jerks for no good reason and that isn't a good sign for (what looks like) a character drama.

The biggest offender here is Takehaya, who said nothing as Minato was pushed into doing something he clearly didn't want to do. Having known about his friend's anxiety towards shooting, you'd think he'd speak up as Minato is forced into a public demonstration of the very thing he's got severe anxiety about. But nah, he doesn't--in fact, he's even excited about it. And after Minato misses, when Takehaya can probably clearly see his arms shaking (considering that he's standing right next to him), Takehaya still doesn't speak up and just looks away with a slightly concerned look on his face. What a wonderful friend.

Then there's the red head kid whose drama with Minato feels so forced. Like, he's the one who said that nobody would care if Minato sucked at archery, but then he gets mad at him for missing anyways and proceeds to yell at a guy he barely just met for not "having pride as an archer".
2Mkta.jpg

Judging by the OP I think we're supposed to root for these guys to all become friends, but honestly after this episode I just want to see Minato tell these awful people to go fuck off and spend his time hanging out with the dog instead. At least the dog actually cares about how Minato feels.

Last edited:
Episode 1:

I almost didn't watch this but i'm glad I did, it looks really cute and I can't wait to see more of it.

I'm interested in seeing what happened to his mom and why exactly he can't hit the targets anymore.

Episode 1
Minato has a wonderful friend in Takehaya. It reminds me of Elena from the badminton anime last season. Push your friend into doing something he or she really has no interest in at all. Oh and sic the over-eager enthusiastic Ryohei on Minato to conform to their desires of doing Kyudo. As someone mentioned above, I'd rather see Minato tell them to piss off.

Yeah, the protagonist being pushed into a sport is reminding me a lot of the Badminton anime. But at the same time, I really hope it can be handled better, I mean it is the first episode after all.

Episode 1
I think the friend pushing him into it is his messed up way of trying to help him get over the fear. A massive dick move that backfires spectacularly. I wonder if the scar on his side has an effect on his draw too?
The red head fella Kacchan? seems chock full of teen angst for whatever reasons, and him going off on one at Minato was probably because the others referred to him as a veteran, but one who's heart isn't in it because of psychological issues (from the competition and his mothers death) but he could see his potential in his form. Also one, of the girls mentions that Minato shooting wasn't what was scheduled, what's the betting that it was Kacchan, a club member, loosing the limelight to Minato the reluctant non member veteran? He needs an outlet for his angst and Minato was the straw to break him. He's also one of the "serious" sport persons that probably believe pushing through fixes everything...
Still, Minato needs to tell them all to do one, but we know he'll come right back for more.
I hope they include the female archers too and not just focus on the boys. The teacher said there was no gender segregation.
And, that priest archer is gonna become his mentor and get him back in the game. (I want his owl XD)

It was an alright first episode, with reasonable introduction to the sport. Just get rid of the angst and pushiness and we're golden for now.

Episode 1:

Y'all, to be honest, the MC getting forced into the sport didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. It's a lot like what happened in the Honey Boo Boo badminton schmaltzfest, yeah, but even then, I don't remember getting annoyed when it happened there. I'm actually more annoyed with the manipulation plot they have going in Run with the Wind more than this, so it's all good so far.

The whole thing looks and sounds amazing, but I'll still have to wait a couple more episodes before forming an opinion on the characters and the story. The target panic syndrome's an interesting plot point for me, never mind if I already saw this trauma scenario play out in the two other sports shows I mentioned earlier. Is this a new angle the sports shows are taking, where they're telling the story from the jaded veteran's POV, instead of the ultra-talented rookie? Have to admit, I laughed my ass off at Owlmaster at the end there. They tried way too hard to make him ultra-cool, is what I think. Not a fan of the teacher's commentary either, but I guess that's a necessity for archery n00bs like me... all of whom probably make up 90% of the show's target (HA!) audience anyway. The main characters are archery veterans, so it looks like all the archery lessons will come from the old snooze. And Kacchan? Man, it's gonna be weird hearing that nickname get used anywhere outside the Boku no Hero universe.

I'm honestly just sticking around because Aoi Ichikawa (Just Because MC) and Kaito Ishikawa (Haikyuu's Kageyama and BnHA's Iida) are in this thing. Even then, I might end up applying the three episode rule here. We'll see.

Back