Yakuza (Ryu ga Gotoku) series

AdmiralMuffin

So anyone else a fan of this kooky but seriously awesome series? Glad this series is getting more appreciation lately, especially in the west. Looks like Yakuza 0 pulled in some new fans.

Anyhoo feel free to post if you wanna get into the series or wanna discuss the many adventures of Kiryu.

I now leave you with this:

Only game in the series I ever played was Yakuza 2. I remember being a bit disappointed because I was expecting it to be more like Shenmue, but was amused at the TV drama script and dialogue.

Only game in the series I ever played was Yakuza 2. I remember being a bit disappointed because I was expecting it to be more like Shenmue, but was amused at the TV drama script and dialogue.

If you got a PS4, I highly recommend Yakuza 0. It's the best entry so far in the series. It's a prequel so it's a great starting point and introduction to the franchise.

Oh and a Yakuza 2 remake is coming out later this year.

Same here pretty much, though the one I tried was the first one. Had a hard time getting into it but I've been meaning to try out one of the later games since they seem to be better (I got Yakuza 5 for free with PS Plus)

If you got a PS4, I highly recommend Yakuza 0. It's the best entry so far in the series. It's a prequel so it's a great starting point and introduction to the franchise.

Oh and a Yakuza 2 remake is coming out later this year.

Got Yakuza 0 for PS4 yesterday and have been playing the hell out of it (just started Chapter 3 with Goro). It's definitely everything I remember it to be from back when I played Y2, but 0 is more refined and the combat system is a lot of fun this time around. I especially like the money system and being able to invest in three different fighting styles (definitely hate Mr. Shakedown lol).

I'm not much of an expert on Japan during the 80s but aside from magazine covers, some clothing styles and no one having a cell phone the game doesn't really scream 80s to me. Not that I mind, all I wanted was to play some Yakuza again.

I actually really wanna play that PS3 samurai Yakuza game but I guess it was never released outside Japan :/

Bruh I played Yakuza 0 for the first time about a month or two ago. I fell in love and hardcored it nonstop and then I immediately started and finished Kiwami and now I'm absolutely suffering waiting for Kiwami 2 and the rest of the remasters.

I love 0's story so much. And the sidequests in 0 are so good. And I no lifed that hostess mini game. So good. I'll replay it to relive the magic one day

Majima is waifu material tbh

Yakuza 0 had a pretty great story but I feel that using the same area for multiple games has grown stale. Like, I love Yakuza because the story is absolutely amazing and each game brings such a great cinematic experience with it. The boss fights are hype, the stories are engaging and there is always something weird going on. It's a grounded version of Metal Gear Solid in a way. But I still get fatigue from the game near the third act because it's a lot of the same thing and for all the production budget put into them the side quests always come across as cheap, even if they are funny and worth the time, since they don't have voice acting or any sort of cutscenes. How small the gameworld is gets in the way of having fun with the RPG elements as well. It gets annoying crossing the same bridge over and over and having to face the same thugs each time.

I bought Yakuza 6 yesterday. I haven't played any of the newer numbered Yakuza's so hopefully I can follow it. I'm really looking forward to when all the games are on PS4 and I can marathon through the story of the franchise.

I started Yakuza 6 last night. I like how it immediately has the battle tutorial but then you sit through two hours of cutscenes and totally forget everything from the tutorial.

I’ve become a pretty big fan of the series. I’m happy it has caught on in the West. When 5 was finally released here, I watched 1 and 2 on YouTube since they were PS2 only at that time and then, over the last few years played 3 through 5 on PS3. I’m working my way through 6 now and enjoying the new game engine, systems, etc. but it’s slow-going since it’s summer here and I don’t sit in front of the TV as much.

I figure I’ll “loop back” to the beginning of Kiryu’s story and play 0 and the Kiwami remakes in the future.

Finished 0's story yesterday (it was great) and been playing Premium Adventure to complete the Real Estate Royale (only Media King left) and finish the substories I have left with each character. That hostess mini game was damn addicting, though. Pretty much raced through it while having the time of my life. My favourite part of the game is when
a chicken named Nugget joins your real estate staff as a manager.

Actually it's topless Majima wrecking the Dojima Family's shit in the finale.

Yakuza-series has always been one of those franchises I've been wanting to get into. I have always loved games, animes, movies etc. that centers around some famous criminal organisation.

However the problem is that I almost always like to start game-series from the first installment. And I've never got my hands on the first Yakuza game. PS Store (At least in here) doesn't have them excluding the new PS4-games and I've tried to look for used version from second hand game shops and local online auctions, but never came across of them.

So I finally gave in and bought Yakuza 0, since many people have claimed it to be a perfect starting point for a new players and I just want to finally play some game from the series. I'm currently on a vacation, so I have to wait till next week before I get to play it though.

Back