Goblin Slayer

@xGrizz is too excited it seems, I hope something worth while comes out of this show.

What we learned.

Grizz has pleb/shit taste:

tumblr_men0kxSdiw1rtgwjbo1_500.gif

Last edited:
I've only read a couple chapters of the manga, because all the rape really put me off, but I do think there's an interesting idea at the core of the premise. If it's going to be a TV anime, then it has to tone down the graphic rape, so it's possible this might be on to something.

It's got a bit of a meta approach to the whole MMOTPG thing. Don't get me wrong it's not an isekai, but it does take an MMO kind of setup with an adventurers guild. The high level players don't bother taking on low level quests, so the goblin population has exploded. Low level players aren't capable of beating goblins on their own and since death is permanent they never get the chance to learn. The manga starts up where the goblins are starting to become a problem, but the more experienced adventurers still don't want anything to do with it. That's an interesting place to jump off from and something I hadn't seen before in a manga.

Now if it can make anything of that premise or give a gritty makeover to other RPG tropes I don't know. However, the MC seemed like he could be interesting since his fighting style is super practical and a little more based in reality.

Having seen mulitple posts about the dislike of Goblin Slayers themes.
I feel i should clear this up.
The tags this gets are very much well deserved.
This is NO fairy tale. Its a dark fantasy story that doesn't hide the worst of it at all.
The first episode will very much set the tone for the entire show.
If you cant stand the dark themes your going to see like Explicit Violence, Sexual Abuse and Mature themes.
Do not watch it.
The themes are not constant but will be very apparent and will recur several times.
Theres no confirmation if this will be as explicit as it is in the manga but it likely will be.

Come on, man. Know your audience. Half of us are going to take that as a challenge.
:smile:
I can take dark themes, if they're handled well, but I'm honestly highly skeptical. Rape, and sexual abuse, are very rarely done tastefully, or handled well, and it's usually edginess, just for the sake of it.

Edit: Removed Response due to it causing misunderstanding for those who have not read the manga material and are making assumptions based on third party information.

Don't judge something based on the opinion or perception of others, watch/read it yourself then judge it. I dont see any value to what you say otherwise since its not your opinion of the source material, its someone elses.

Last edited:
The Rape and other barbaric acts within the series are not ment to be nice or anything of the sort at all. Its there to make it clear who you should hate, how barbaric this enemy is, what they do and how they are in this fantasy world. Its there to show explicitly what happens when the unfortunate victims are captured or beaten. Setting the tone and setting up the story's plot within the opening.
Also known as extremely cheap and sleazy writing, which doubles in creep factor in how it is also made to pander to some messed up demographics as well which derive pleasure from what's depicted.
And it is women's fears in particular that it preys upon with its overly specific barbarism, and it makes damn sure to let you know that it's women it wants to victimize above all.
Lazy and cheap writing at best, fucking creepy in all the wrong ways at worst. It's literally just an "exploration" of a cliche fantasy monster hentai setting, with extra guro added for the demographic that loves that.

Last edited:
Also known as extremely cheap and sleazy writing, which doubles in creep factor in how it is also made to pander to some messed up demographics as well which derive pleasure from what's depicted.
And it is women's fears in particular that it preys upon with its overly specific barbarism, and it makes damn sure to let you know that it's women it wants to victimize above all.
Lazy and cheap writing at best, fucking creepy in all the wrong ways at worst. It's literally just an "exploration" of a cliche fantasy monster hentai setting, with extra guro added for the demographic that loves that.
I like all that and hate all that depending how is done and what is the objective.:lenny: But the guro stuff I never :cereal:understood. Yeah I am weird.:pokerface: Edit I not saying I agree is bad writing but I can see why is popular or why people hate it.

Last edited:
The Rape and other barbaric acts within the series are not ment to be nice or anything of the sort at all. Its there to make it clear who you should hate, how barbaric this enemy is, what they do and how they are in this fantasy world
The author doesn't appear to know what subtlety is, that looks like it's edgy for the sake of being edgy, I don't like the sound of that.
It wouldn't help to simply things to black and white instead of having complex opposition, anyone can write villains to be evil rapists that eat babies for breakfast and like to kick puppies, but there is nothing interesting about them.

The author doesn't appear to know what subtlety is, that looks like it's edgy for the sake of being edgy, I don't like the sound of that.
It wouldn't help to simply things to black and white instead of having complex opposition, anyone can write villains to be evil rapists that eat babies for breakfast and like to kick puppies, but there is nothing interesting about them.
I tune out immediately when that happens. It's a slight annoyance caused by someone trying to squeeze out an emotional reaction from me by just throwing
rape
into the room and yelling "Are you not entertained?"

Well if it's any consolation, the goblins kind of need to rape since females of their own species are nonexistent. Also the goblins themselves for the most part aren't really meant to have any nuance behind their characterization as bestial monsters that can't reasoned with. It's like saying a Godzilla movie sucked because Gamera wasn't given the height of character writing.

That's not to say that there aren't Akame ga Kill tier villains in here somewhere though, that's what the Goblin Lords themselves seem to be.

Back