Tomboy Romances

Aylia

Right guys, need your help. Got lucky coming across Tomochan wo Annonoko when BB(I think) name dropped the author. I though to myself, "yeh, this is my jam" and have been searching high and low for other good romance anime and manga with similar female characters. Put simply, I'm bored of the "ruffian/prince wooing the vulnerable, sweet girl, so that probably eliminates like 90% of what I'm willing to read.

Even non-traditional gender roles would be welcome suggestions, doesn't exactly have to be a tomboyish girl. Kaichou wa Maid-sama is an example of something I'd be looking for too.

They do exist, unless My Little Monster lost its way since I stopped reading it. I know it's a longshot and I don't mind the normal type of romance (there are some really good ones), but I want a change of pace where the female is actually decisive and confident. Bonus points if she beats the shit out of bullies.

Well you'll find plenty in vanilla h-manga. Because vanilla is the best.
vNWIBJh.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The market does unfortunately seem pretty sparse for that sort on the non-H front, unfortunately.
The closest thing I can think of is Dengeki Daisy, but it is "merely" the the finest polished product I've seen that could fall in the "ruffian/sweet prince" territory, having a really great female lead and an actual overarching story not related to romance.
1448827249-396da77c16aee63ff3214ca6853a3971.jpg

But less on the tomboy front.
Tomboys usually seem to be relegated to the role of harem members at best, and are never the ones who win in the end.

Standards suck ass. I wasn't expecting much but even Nodame Cantabile was a refreshing change from the meek, shy schoolgirl that seems to be a staple in Japanese manga. And like RR said, I find several start out good but then the girl just becomes a sloppy melt for the guy.

Not saying I haven't read some H-manga with tomboy leads though. But, please, BB, I have some dignity during the daytime.

I'll look at Dengeki Daisy.

are you looking primarily for happy romance stuff, or moreso series that involve romance but it's more realistic on the woman's side? or the latter + is specifically a tomboy? other combo?

Any. I realise this is a narrow market so I'd be happy with any tomboy/non-girly girl character that ends up with a romantic interest, though romance as the focus would be ideal. Noda Megumi is the best example I can give as someone who's not completely girly but not quite a tomboy either, but she is crass and does things her way - I'd be happy with characters to her degree, as much as actual tomboyish characters like Taiga (Toradora) and Tomo (Tomo-chan wo Annonoko).

I mean, there is a ton of really good vanilla h-manga out there that fits the role perfectly. It really confuses me that the only real crossover we've ever got into non h stuff is Tomo-chan.

Aoharu x Machinegun

Its where the mc is mistaken for a guy and is always interrupted when she tries to tell them that she is in fact a girl.

You could try Red lion, manhwa. It's about a girl jjang that tried to kill that side of her and live a peaceful life. I guess you could say it's a reverse harem. Toradora is also a really good one, the girl is a tsundere. A few fight scenes in there as well.

Try Namaikizakari. It's got Maid-Sama vibes so you might like it.

It's between a girl, the manager of the school's basketball team, and one of the guys on the basketball team. The girl is kind of a tsundere and she's not girly. She cares a lot about the basketball team and is strict. The guy is cheeky and falls for the girl first. The girl at first thinks of the guy as kind of a nuisance but they're always together anyway, like usui and misaki

• Miss Not So Sidekick (I find the female lead has a hilarious, carefree attitude. I love that she doesn't try to suck up to anyone!)
  • Beware of the Villainess (The FL's character is quite strong and self-assured, I found it super admirable.)
I think these are both very enjoyable and I just wish more manga like this existed. It's very refreshing to see these unique takes on characters in stereotypical genres/plots. I hope this helps!

If this thread still includes talking about the tomboy character style manga, one might try KashiMashi: Girl Meets Girl.
The manga is really about a three way romantic triangle involving three teenage girls who are friends ( sometimes rivals ) with one another. Has mild Yuri if you don't mind that. One of the girls is a tomboy, one girl is a transgender male-to-female, and the third girl is a loner who only likes other girls.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Ouran Host Club. @Aylia Haruhi is definitely a tomboy and there's definitely romance between her and Tamaki. The development beyond the anime is totally worth it.

It's not primarily a romance but one series that does have major focus on a tomboy character and her relationship with a boy is Cross Game, if you like baseball/sports. The romance does also develop over time and isn't just a non-element, in fact it's quite a big part of the story.

Back